ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anyone used their RC to travel to Portugal recently?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Anyone used their RC to travel to Portugal recently?

Post by chaoclive » Sat May 09, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi there

My partner has a RC issued for family members of EEA nationals. We have used this RC without a Schengen visa for entry into the Netherlands and France and have been advised that a visa is no needed for the EEA countries that we will travel to in the near future (Iceland/Denmark etc). However, we are planning to go to Portugal this summer (emphasis on planning).

I have been looking for info on the Portuguese Embassy website, however, I haven't found anything relating to the Directive and RCs. I'm confident that the Portuguese immigrations officers will be fine. I'm more worried about the airline (from Belfast) and would like something to show to them, e.g. email from the Embassy/print out from the Embassy website. Does anyone have anything that I could pinch?

Thanks
CC

alekos

Re: Anyone used their RC to travel to Portugal recently?

Post by alekos » Sun May 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Hello,
My wife and I flew into Lisbon airport in Nov 2014 and Dec 2014 with me having a valid UK RC of EEA National.

Border police in Lisbon seemed very confused both times. They wanted to grant me entry based on us transiting. We were not transiting.

At the end, they let us in. They did say that the reason why we were delayed was because they expected to see a physical credit card sized RC as demanded by a previous directive regarding common european visas.

The airline was no trouble at all. Nov was Ryanair, Dec was Easyjet. The only question was whether we were married.

I suggest, carry your marriage certificate always, be polite and keep repeating in slow English: I am a EU national, this is my spouse/husband/wife, I want to enter into Portugal now, thank you. I don't know how long I want to stay, I don't know where I want to stay and I won't tell you how much money I have.

And enjoy Portugal, it is a beautiful country. Fantastic food and lovely people.
Thank you everyone in this forum.