ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

switching from Fiance to Student visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

katwmn6

switching from Fiance to Student visa

Post by katwmn6 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:09 pm

I am in the UK on a fiance visa, which is set to expire 15 Nov. I am an American citizen who has been living here legally since Dec 06 (first on a 6-mo BUNAC visa, now on a fiance visa).

While we are going to remain together, my boyfriend (British citizen) and I have decided not to get married right now. I know that I will have to leave the UK when my visa expires. My concern is my ability to obtain another visa in the future - I was planning to go to grad school in the UK in fall 08; what is the likelihood I would be denied a student visa because I have held a fiance visa?

Similarly, if I were to find an employer to sponsor a work permit, could my visa be denied because of the expired fiance visa?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:52 pm

The problem you will have is with the 'intent to return' paragraph in the student visa application. It might be tricky, but not impossible...and as a US citizen I would expect an approval, but explain why the marriage has been delayed.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:28 am

thank you for your response, Victoria. i imagine it would be easier to simply state that the relationship ended, and i am returning solely for academic purposes?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:57 am

katwmn6 wrote:thank you for your response, Victoria. i imagine it would be easier to simply state that the relationship ended, and i am returning solely for academic purposes?
You seem to be all over the place,
you intend to study and work and keep the relationship but it ended.
It doesnt make sense

katwmn6

Re: switching from Fiance to Student visa

Post by katwmn6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:21 pm

SYH wrote:
katwmn6 wrote:thank you for your response, Victoria. i imagine it would be easier to simply state that the relationship ended, and i am returning solely for academic purposes?
You seem to be all over the place, you intend to study and work and keep the relationship but it ended. It doesnt make sense
the relationship didn't end, as i stated:
katwmn6 wrote:While we are going to remain together, my boyfriend (British citizen) and I have decided not to get married right now... I was planning to go to grad school in the UK in fall 08; what is the likelihood I would be denied a student visa because I have held a fiance visa? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
My concern is my ability to be granted another visa (Student or Work Permit), as I clearly stated.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:48 pm

If the relationship has not ended, don't tell the ECO that it has, as that will be a lie.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!