ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 G to ILR & Loss in Business, impacts of Tax paid hmrc

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raju4u

Tier1 G to ILR & Loss in Business, impacts of Tax paid hmrc

Post by raju4u » Sat May 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I came to UK 8 years ago and did my Masters degree from a well known university got psw and then got Tier 1 G. I started a retail business and earned the required income to claim points in 2011 i paid the taxes on the claimed amount on time. but the following year i had burglary in my store and i lost almost everything as they broke in and took all the valuable stock. later on they were caught and prosecuted but i did not get back a single penny. My detailed 5 years summary is following.

2010 2011 earnings showed to HO £37,400 (Tax paid on £35,500 to hmrc in time)

2011 to 2012 got bruglary in my store and it was huge loss so no income was generated.

2012 to 2013 earning showed to HO for extension £36,500 (Tax paid on same amount to hmrc in time)

2013 to 2014 earnings around £20,000 (Tax pain on time)

my ILR is due in 2016 and i would like to know that will the loss in business in the following year can impact my application? should i mention anything related to it? Although i have been economically active through out 5 years as i have been drawing salary even if i was absent from UK for back home visits. Do i need to meet £35k threshold for consecutive 5 years? cant HO question me for the rest of the years earnings dipped? I just do not want to get into any trouble as i spent considerable time, investment and energy in building everything in this country. Please advice if i am safe to apply. I still have 10 months left for ILR so i can plan from now therefore i need your expert guidance. thanks

hellonewhere

Re: Tier1 G to ILR & Loss in Business, impacts of Tax paid h

Post by hellonewhere » Sat May 09, 2015 4:58 pm

For 2011/2012 - when you incurred a loss, assumingly you didn't take out a dividend?.
Because you can't take out a dividend if your business is making a loss right?.

Maybe someone more experienced can answer your question regarding the maintaining of 35k for the whole 5 years.
I think you have to be economically active throughout the 5 years, now whether or not your business makes a profit or loss, after you were given your visa is another matter.

The question is;
1) can a business be expected to generate the same income throught 5 years?. I think that's an impossible requirement. No business can have the same profit for 5 years. It can go up and down.
If a business was always expected to make a profit, then am sorry to say that we wouldn't have been hit with a recession as every business would have been successful and the economy would have been flourishing right now.

On the other hand, if every business was meant to be profitable then none would have taken off beyond their first year as most new businesses incur a loss in their first year. That's why HMRC has an allowance for "trading losses".

I think the key word is "econonically active" for the 5 years; meaning you would have been in an employment or self employment. Now whether you made a profit or loss, that's something different.

You, however, do have a valid reason for the loss, therefore, if only for your peace of mind, you can take all your documents with you to evidence that, in case you are asked questions.

That's just my opinion and I hope someone else can answer your question better.

Edit; why does your figure differs from HO and HMRC for your initial application?
Should that not be the same?

hellonewhere

Post by hellonewhere » Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm

This is a bit outdated; but perhaps it sheds a bit of light

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ming-53958

hellonewhere

Post by hellonewhere » Sat May 09, 2015 5:32 pm

RScorpio

Post by RScorpio » Sat May 09, 2015 5:45 pm

hellonewhere wrote:This is a bit outdated; but perhaps it sheds a bit of light

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ming-53958
Thanks Hellonewhere, that was a very interesting read and I wasn't aware of this. It seems to indicate that at point of time of ilr application you have to be employed or self employed. Even if earnings criterion is satisfied but one is out of work just because of redundancy say a couple of days back, ilr will not be given,just because of potential that you may start taking benefits in future. I guess for OP it seems to imply it may be okay as long as earnings criterion is satisfied and business is active at point of application.Can someone pls confirm my understanding is correct?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat May 09, 2015 5:50 pm

raju4u wrote: Do i need to meet £35k threshold for consecutive 5 years?
I'm just going to comment on the earnings related question you have raised. If applying for ILR as a T1G Migrant there is no requirement that you need to have the same earnings over the entire 5 year residence period.

However, just as you would have done for your initial T1G and subsequent extension applications you will need to score the necessary points to apply for ILR, this includes claiming points for earnings over any consecutive 12 months during the 15 months immediately prior to your application (& also other sections where you are able to score points such as age, qualifications, UK experience etc...). The requirement is that you meet the total required points score along with the other criteria for ILR which are details under the corresponding immigration rules. I concur with how hellonewhere has explained the meaning of Economic activity over the 5 years. Others may comment further.

Independent to this, you should ensure that your tax affairs (HMRC) are in order prior to applying; as can be seen on this forum there are those who are now struggling as a result of not doing this.

I'd suggest you read the SET(O) form and guidance to understand the details along with the associated immigration rules. You appear to have sufficient time as your ILR is not due for while yet.
Immigration rules - 245AAA, 245CD https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf

raju4u

Post by raju4u » Sat May 09, 2015 6:10 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
raju4u wrote: Do i need to meet £35k threshold for consecutive 5 years?
I'm just going to comment on the earnings related question you have raised. If applying for ILR as a T1G Migrant there is no requirement that you need to have the same earnings over the entire 5 year residence period.

However, just as you would have done for your initial T1G and subsequent extension applications you will need to score the necessary points to apply for ILR, this includes claiming points for earnings over any consecutive 12 months during the 15 months immediately prior to your application (& also other sections where you are able to score points such as age, qualifications, UK experience etc...). The requirement is that you meet the total required points score along with the other criteria for ILR which are details under the corresponding immigration rules. I concur with how hellonewhere has explained the meaning of Economic activity over the 5 years. Others may comment further.

Independent to this, you should ensure that your tax affairs (HMRC) are in order prior to applying; as can be seen on this forum there are those who are now struggling as a result of not doing this.

I'd suggest you read the SET(O) form and guidance to understand the details along with the associated immigration rules. You appear to have sufficient time as your ILR is not due for while yet.
Immigration rules - 245AAA, 245CD https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf
Thanks for the quick replies and your expert opinion. I have been economically active throughout 5 years and @hellonewhere i have not been taking dividends in the year i did not make profit.

In the initial application my earnings were £37k and i paid tax on £35k as tax year was a little different than the year showed to HO. At extension i showed £36k to HO and paid tax on £36k fully in time.

the only confusion i am having is that the following year of the initial application i had burglary and faced heavy losses and hmrc paid me back around £2k as per the loss, i do not know if it was carried back to the previous year or it is any sort of allowance or a kind of relief. I have no idea if that can affect my ILR application, i came to know that ILR has no appeal right in future and i can not explain myself once i am refused, i will be simply thrown out without having my say. I am very clear about being economically active throughout the 5 years, just concerned about the 1 year of loss. I can understand that i am suppose to show 12 months earnings out of 15 at the time of application. Which is not a problem as it is a standard requirement. So either i have to amend the previous tax returns and pay the tax on the year of loss as well from my pocket or i can just leave it as it is. looking forward to your reply, thanks again for the replies.

hellonewhere

Post by hellonewhere » Sat May 09, 2015 6:39 pm

@thanks cs95tdg

Just to be clear as due to the timing difference, the 2k difference was included in the 36k?

Sorry for all the questions but as cs95tdg mentioned, recently many applicants have been having issues, therefore, just want to be certain re the figures.

No you don't have to amend anything and there's no tax on loss.
You made a genuine loss and therefore you didn't have to pay any tax.

I assume that you have a company as you mentioned dividend - is that correct?
In the year that you incurred a loss, you had no dividend, therefore, no tax to pay, therefore nothing to amend, and I strongly advice against making a "fictional" figure just to pay tax.
I assume you filed a zero tax return ( can one do that? ) or informed HMRC that you had no income to declare therefore didn't file one ( I have done that )?. I also assume that you had an account filed at companies house and hmrc. Accounts and tax returns are two separate things. Sorry for all the questions.

What you did was a legal way of doing things. And HMRC paid you back because you can carry back and forward losses;
Here it explains more;

https://www.gov.uk/corporation-tax-calc ... ing-a-loss

I wouldn't worry in your place and also I strongly advice to go through the link that cs95tdg posted.

raju4u

Post by raju4u » Sat May 09, 2015 7:34 pm

hellonewhere wrote:@thanks cs95tdg

Just to be clear as due to the timing difference, the 2k difference was included in the 36k?

Sorry for all the questions but as cs95tdg mentioned, recently many applicants have been having issues, therefore, just want to be certain re the figures.

In the year that you incurred a loss, you had no dividend, therefore, no tax to pay, therefore nothing to amend, and I strongly advice against making a "fictional" figure just to pay tax.
I assume you filed a zero tax return ( can one do that? ) or informed HMRC that you had no income to declare therefore didn't file one ( I have done that )?. I also assume that you had an account filed at companies house and hmrc. Accounts and tax returns are two separate things. Sorry for all the questions.

What you did was a legal way of doing things. And HMRC paid you back because you can carry back and forward losses;
Here it explains more;

I wouldn't worry in your place and also I strongly advice to go through the link that cs95tdg posted.
This is how it happened, Initial visa applied on £35k requirement, profit of the business dividend + salary £36k approx, i got the visa and paid the tax on £35k in time. Then came the next year had a loss and i filed the tax returns as usual, my expenses were greater than the profits so it was not zero tax return it was just i had to bear more expenses than i earned. So hmrc gave me £2k back because of the loss. Yes i read all the links in detail they mention the standard requirements i am not decieving anyone i am just caught up in a situation which is little bit confusing. And it is a limited company and a retail shop business.

If the loss was carried back to the previous year it means the income got slashed from previous year but income is counted as of 12 months not 24 months, that is confusion for me.

now one thing i want to mention that when i login to my account on hmrc then my 2010 to 2011 income comes up as £35k and tax paid on their site appears accordingly. and the next year it shows that business gone in loss. So i don't know what to do. I will not have appeal right in case im refused for this reason. well just confused to be honest. thanks for your time and reply.

hellonewhere

Post by hellonewhere » Sat May 09, 2015 8:11 pm

raju4u wrote:
hellonewhere wrote:@thanks cs95tdg

Here it explains more;

This is how it happened, Initial visa applied on £35k requirement, profit of the business dividend + salary £36k approx, i got the visa and paid the tax on £35k in time. Then came the next year had a loss and i filed the tax returns as usual, my expenses were greater than the profits so it was not zero tax return it was just i had to bear more expenses than i earned. So hmrc gave me £2k back because of the loss. Yes i read all the links in detail they mention the standard requirements i am not decieving anyone i am just caught up in a situation which is little bit confusing. And it is a limited company and a retail shop business.

If the loss was carried back to the previous year it means the income got slashed from previous year but income is counted as of 12 months not 24 months, that is confusion for me.

now one thing i want to mention that when i login to my account on hmrc then my 2010 to 2011 income comes up as £35k and tax paid on their site appears accordingly. and the next year it shows that business gone in loss. So i don't know what to do. I will not have appeal right in case im refused for this reason. well just confused to be honest. thanks for your time and reply.
Don't be confused and don't panic; and no you are not deceiving anyone!
These are minor things which can be worked out so lets try and figure it out.

1) ah so the 37k was made up of 2k salary and 35k dividend, and hence you paid tax on the 35k. That's fine.

2) When you are saying "income", you are actually referring to a dividend right?

2) If you are a director and shareholder of a limited company then your income and expenses don't go on your tax return; these are worked out on the accounts to be able to figure out how much profit/loss you made and how much dividend you can or cannot take out. So your business made a loss, and the loss got carried back as you had a profit previously. And yes you can draw out a salary even if your business is making a loss, but not a dividend - that would be terrible for business!

And it's accounting period and not "months" as we generally talk in day to day etc.
It's generally for 12 months ( unless you had a longer accounting period of 18 months ), and the loss was carried back to your previous profit - not income ( don't forget you have a company! ). Maybe the confusion is coming from you calculating your losses to the intial return ( yes that would be 24 months ), but the losses are offset against your previous accounting period.

I will give you an example;

For example, if your company has a loss of £8,000 in the accounting period 1 January 2010 to 31 December 2010 and profits of £20,000 in the preceding 12 months, you can carry back the £8,000 loss to be set off against the profits for the previous accounting year, reducing them from £20,000 to £12,000.

But, if an accounting period straddles that 12-month period, the profit for that period is apportioned and the loss can only be offset against that portion of the profit falling within the 12-month period.

For example, if your company has a loss of £8,000 in the accounting period 1 January 2010 to 31 December 2010 and it has recently changed its accounting date, so that the accounting periods and profits of the preceding periods were 1 July 2009 to 31 December 2009 £2,000 and 1 July 2008 to 31 July 2009 £10,000, you can carry back £2,000 of the loss to cover the whole of the profit in the period ended 31 December 2009. The balance of the loss of £6,000 can’t be entirely carried back as only 6 months of the profits of £10,000 fall into the preceding 12 months of the loss making period. Therefore only a loss of £5,000 (6/12 x £10,000) can be used and the balance of £1,000 is available to be carried forward to the year ended 31 December 2011.

If this is too complicated, let me know what your accounting period was and when you made the losses and we can figure it out.

Can I ask that you are up to date with all your filing at Companies House and HMRC?

There's nothing to be worried, it all seems fine to me.

hellonewhere

Post by hellonewhere » Sat May 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Also, trading losses can be carried back three years.