ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Visit Visa For Parents of ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Family Visit Visa For Parents of ILR

Post by muditmalhotra » Mon May 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi All

I am settled in the UK on ILR, i wanted to ask, can i now apply for FAMILY visit visa for my parents or should they apply for GENERAL visit Visa ?

Also, i want them to apply for 5 years visa, can you please suggest me what to consider before applying a long term visa so that we don't face rejection ?

Do we have anyone whos relatives applied for long term visa and got it approved ? can you please guide on what all supporting documents did you provide.

Thanks
M.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Family Visit Visa For Parents of ILR

Post by Casa » Mon May 11, 2015 8:05 pm

General and family visitor visas have now been replaced with just one category; Standard visitor visa
https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview

If this is your parents' first application they are unlikely to be granted anything longer than a 6 month visa. They will need to submit strong evidence of ties to their home country as a reason for returning.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Mon May 11, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks for your reply casa, they have been here a couole of times but since i was on tier1 i cud nt sponcer a family visa

If we wish to apply for longer term visa what all we need to provide ?

Thnx.

uk2k10
India

Post by uk2k10 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:41 am

Documents are exactly same as that of general visitor just the form is different

If your parents have done general visitor a couple of times they should be fine with long term

I did 6 months then 2 years and now 5 years for my parents.

I do not thing it makes any difference if u apply family visitor or general visitor (apart from I guess family visitor might get appeal right if visa is rejected - not sure though, anyways appeal process is too problematic so no difference in my opinion)

Show strong ties to home country
Money and assets in their name
Send a invite from ur side showing appropriate accommodation
Proof (passport with their name on it) showing relation to you
Proof of ur visa status (BRP card)
salary slip and bank statements if you can that makes it better - but not mandatory I believe

all the best.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks for your reply uk2k10....
uk2k10 wrote: I did 6 months then 2 years and now 5 years for my parents.
-- were you on ILR when your parents got 5 yrs visa ?
uk2k10 wrote: Show strong ties to home country
-- ties as in, what apart from property and bank statements ??

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Tue May 12, 2015 11:59 am

I would strongly suggest getting a travel insurance for the duration of stay and include a copy of the same as evidence

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 pm

vignezh wrote:I would strongly suggest getting a travel insurance for the duration of stay and include a copy of the same as evidence
-- thanks for the tip, should we consider only current trip even if we are applying for a long term visa ?

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Tue May 12, 2015 12:10 pm

muditmalhotra wrote:
vignezh wrote:I would strongly suggest getting a travel insurance for the duration of stay and include a copy of the same as evidence
-- thanks for the tip, should we consider only current trip even if we are applying for a long term visa ?
I would say yes. Reason being long term visas are issued on the condition that the individual spends only up to 6 months in a year. If you were to get travel insurance for say 3 or 5 months, this will add further confidence that the stay will not exceed that period despite being a long term visa. Immigration and burden to NHS is a very top topic in the UK, so getting a travel insurance will certainly be looked at a positive note.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Yea, I will definitely ask them to get their insurance sorted out before applying .. ..

also, when a long term visa is issued, how long should be the minimum gap between two visits ?

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 pm

I am sure someone will correct me, if I am wrong.

My understanding is, if the visa starts 1st May 2015. Between 01/05/2015 and 31/04/2016, the maximum no of days should be 180. This can be accumulated through multiple visits regardless of how big the gap is in between.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 12:22 pm

vignezh wrote:I am sure someone will correct me, if I am wrong.

My understanding is, if the visa starts 1st May 2015. Between 01/05/2015 and 31/04/2016, the maximum no of days should be 180. This can be accumulated through multiple visits regardless of how big the gap is in between.
I don't think this holds true for long term visas.. but I am not sure let wait for someone to clarify

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 1:14 pm

uk2k10 wrote:Documents are exactly same as that of general visitor just the form is different
I did 6 months then 2 years and now 5 years for my parents.
As I mentioned, my parents have been into UK a several times, every time on a 6months visa.. never have over stayed or asked for extension... so do you reckon they can apply for a 5 yrs long term visa or should they apply for a 2 yrs first so that UKVI have enough confidence that they will return back to home country well in time ?

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 pm

muditmalhotra wrote:
vignezh wrote:I am sure someone will correct me, if I am wrong.

I don't think this holds true for long term visas.. but I am not sure let wait for someone to clarify

See page 17 in this document
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 5.0EXT.pdf

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue May 12, 2015 2:26 pm

muditmalhotra wrote:when a long term visa is issued, how long should be the minimum gap between two visits ?
You may want to take a look at the ECO guidance posted under the following thread. http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1169134

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 pm

thanks ..

on pg 17 it clarifies that there is no definitive rule for how long you have to stay out.

going thru the document I found this (pg19) --

Visas are valid for an unlimited number of journeys within the validity period of the visa.
People holding visit visas can only remain in the UK for a maximum of six months on any one visit, or until the visa expires if less than six months. This restriction is indicated on the visa by the entry ‘180’ days after the ‘Duration of stay’ section

-- hence, there is no limit on total no. of days in 5years in total

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue May 12, 2015 2:45 pm

muditmalhotra wrote:there is no limit on total no. of days in 5years in total
While technically a total maximum number of days is not stated, it is a requirement that the applicant use the visa for the intended purpose - for visits. Do read the ECO guidance, as future applications or entry may be refused, if an applicant uses a visit visa as a means to reside in the UK.

Regarding your question on the visa validity period that they should apply for next, it may be safer to apply for a 2 year visa prior to 5, unless the difference in cost is not a consideration.

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Tue May 12, 2015 2:47 pm

on page 10 throws a bit more light on this. As far as you play by the rule and use the visa for visit and not a de-facto residence, you will be fine.
muditmalhotra wrote:thanks ..

on pg 17 it clarifies that there is no definitive rule for how long you have to stay out.

going thru the document I found this (pg19) --

Visas are valid for an unlimited number of journeys within the validity period of the visa.
People holding visit visas can only remain in the UK for a maximum of six months on any one visit, or until the visa expires if less than six months. This restriction is indicated on the visa by the entry ‘180’ days after the ‘Duration of stay’ section

-- hence, there is no limit on total no. of days in 5years in total

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Correct !

as for now, I am quite confident that once they have a long term visa, there will not be any such problem because we do not want/plan to break any of the visa conditions.

the only concern right now is: whether will they get a long term visa or not ? just want to be sure that neither our money nor our time is wasted trying to apply a longer visa.

muditmalhotra
Member of Standing

Post by muditmalhotra » Tue May 12, 2015 3:01 pm

cs95tdg wrote: it may be safer to apply for a 2 year visa prior to 5, unless the difference in cost is not a consideration.
do you say this to be on safer side or are there any cases which have suffered in similar scenarios ?

and of-course Money is a concern but if chances are more towards success I may be interested in risking it, just because of the convenience it offers.

tier1_king
India

Post by tier1_king » Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm

can you tell how many times your parents have come on 6 months visa so far ..

I am on a similar condition - my parents have come twice ( months visa) and i am thinking whether to go for 2 or 5 year visa . (they got rejected once because they were applying within 5 months of previous travel - then they reapplied with more 'Home ties' documents and got it approved)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue May 12, 2015 3:48 pm

I d
muditmalhotra wrote:
cs95tdg wrote: it may be safer to apply for a 2 year visa prior to 5, unless the difference in cost is not a consideration.
do you say this to be on safer side or are there any cases which have suffered in similar scenarios ?

and of-course Money is a concern but if chances are more towards success I may be interested in risking it, just because of the convenience it offers.
I don't have any recent cases I can quote, but I've had personal experience in the past (note that this was around 8 years ago, before I came to settle in the UK) where I applied for a 2 year visa after having had a couple of visit visas (6 months & 1 year validity) over the previous years. But was granted one valid for 1 year again. I'm certain things are different now, as there isn't event a option to request a visit visa that's just valid for 1 year. Additionally your parents circumstances would also differ, so I'm sure you wouldn't necessarily want to use this as a comparison. I personally believe they look at how frequently you've travelled to the UK over the past, also meeting the conditions of the visa. At the time I applied I believed I'd met those conditions, but figured the ECO had a different view on what frequent travel constituted of. So it's ultimately got to be a personal decision looking at their travel history & how much the loss of fee (difference) would mean to you if you applied for a 5 year visa, but only got one valid for a shorter time period.

uk2k10
India

Post by uk2k10 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:46 am

You do not have to be on ILR to apply for your parents to apply long term visitor visa.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:37 am

Did you applied for the 5 Years visa in the end???
If you did ... did you (your Parents) got it????