ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim Child Tax Credit?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scoobydoolondon

Can I claim Child Tax Credit?

Post by scoobydoolondon » Tue May 12, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm a British citizen since birth.
My wife is in UK on a spouse visa, granted 1st Sept 2014. She is a full time mother.
We had our first child in Feb 2015, born in UK.
I'm a consultant, but not working at the moment.

Am I entitled to claim for Child Tax Credit?
My wife's visa restrictions mentioned "no recourse to public funds" and Child Tax Credits was mentioned as one of the benefits that could not be claimed. I dismissed the idea of claiming it but after reading these forums, I'm not so sure.

The only benefit I'm claiming for is Child Benefit, in my name only, and paid into my sole account.

Is Child Tax Credit something that I can claim for?

thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can I claim Child Tax Credit?

Post by Casa » Tue May 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Child tax credits must be claimed in joint names and won't affect your wife's future visa applications
https://www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit/overview
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Tue May 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Many thanks for that. I've already gone through the Online Calculator and seems I would be able to make a claim.

However, what I'm really nervous about is any future problems arising on renewal of my wife's spouse visa, if I claim Child Tax Credit.

On what grounds can I claim Child Tax Credits if its on the "banned list", according to the Home Office letter that accompanied my wife's grant of visa?

thanks again

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 pm

"Exception for couples
Where one member of a couple is subject to immigration control and the other is not, or comes within one of the exceptions above, a joint claim can be made and both claimants will be treated as though neither is subject to immigration control. However, the second adult element of WTC will generally not be awarded."
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Wed May 13, 2015 10:04 am

Many many thanks Casa for that clarification.

Just googled it and here's a link for the benefit for everyone:

http://www.revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-c ... can-claim/

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 13, 2015 10:05 am

Appreciated. Thank you
(Casa, not CR001)