ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children of a dead british citizen

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

prince_no1

Children of a dead british citizen

Post by prince_no1 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 am

Hi Everyone,

one of my friend has asked me that, if A father was a british citizen, and have children (uder 18 + over 18) outside UK, then he died, now is it possible for his children to apply for immigration?

Regards,

vinny

Re: Children of a dead british citizen

Post by vinny » Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 am

If the child's parent was British otherwise than by descent at the time of child's birth, then the child is automatically British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

prince_no1

Post by prince_no1 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks vinny for the reply

But i think my question was not clear enough
Father was not british by birth he used to come UK for teaching or other purposes and had whole family at pakistan
He got the british passport but still was residing in pakistan as his whole setup was there, but he used to visit UK every year and even his children had visited UK as well but as a visitor now he has died in Pakistan, his children are over 18 now
Can they apply immigration as their father had a british passport?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 13, 2015 11:37 am

Was father British at the time of child's birth?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

prince_no1

Post by prince_no1 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:25 pm

I think he was not but i ll confirm this with my friend.
And i believe children never applied for immigration before.
Can you please advise in both cases if possible?
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:18 pm

If the father was not British at the time of childrens birth, then the children would have no claim to citizenship.

If the children want to immigrate to the UK, they would have to look at the options available for which they will qualify.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 13, 2015 9:39 pm

As a side question, would the children qualify for a UK Ancestry visa if the father was British after birth?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:44 pm

secret.simon wrote:As a side question, would the children qualify for a UK Ancestry visa if the father was British after birth?
Interesting question, but I would assume not as for Ancestry you have to show a grandparent born in the UK and subsequent birth certificate of your parent, which would not list your grandparent as British if the parent is naturalised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

prince_no1

Post by prince_no1 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:34 am

CR001 wrote:If the father was not British at the time of childrens birth, then the children would have no claim to citizenship.

If the children want to immigrate to the UK, they would have to look at the options available for which they will qualify.
here is some more information, Father was a british citizen at the time of children's brith, not also father but grandfather/uncles and aunts as well, and they are is still alive but lives in USA now and holds the dual nationalities, and father died 10 years ago in pakistan. and he used to visit UK like i said before every year some time for couple of months, some time 4 some time 6.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 14, 2015 6:09 am

prince_no1 wrote:Father was a british citizen at the time of children's brith

If the father was a British citizen at the birth of the children AND that can be demonstrated (by the father's naturalisation or registration certificate and the children's birth certificate, for instance), they are British by descent and can apply directly for a British passport.

Bear in mind that the children's children (father's grandchildren) will only be British if born in the UK. They will not be British if born in Pakistan.
not also father but grandfather/uncles and aunts as well, and they are is still alive but lives in USA now and holds the dual nationalities,
I am sorry, but I could not make head or tail of the paragraph above. Can I request you to rephrase?
and father died 10 years ago in pakistan. and he used to visit UK like i said before every year some time for couple of months, some time 4 some time 6.
That does not matter. What matters is that he became a British citizen (through naturalisation/registration) before the birth of the children.

prince_no1

Post by prince_no1 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:18 am

secret.simon wrote:
not also father but grandfather/uncles and aunts as well, and they are is still alive but lives in USA now and holds the dual nationalities,

I am sorry, but I could not make head or tail of the paragraph above. Can I request you to rephrase?
what i meant was all family children's father + grandfather + paternal uncle + aunts are british as well, but they have moved to USA a long time ago but still have british citizenship (dual) so there are chances of ancestry visa , thats why i mention that.
anyhow, can you please provide the related form and guidance? how to apply etc..

Thanks.

newperson

Post by newperson » Thu May 14, 2015 6:53 am

One of the absolute requirements of the Ancestry visa is that one of the applicant's GRANDparents was BORN in the UK. For the purpose of this visa, this means England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, pre-independence ROI, the Channel Islands and, exceptionally, British registered ships and planes. This does NOT include other parts of the then British Empire or current Commonwealth of Nations. The current applicant, however, must be a Commonwealth citizen.

It is NOT enough for the applicant's grandparent to be a naturalised UK citizen. The relevant grandparent must physically have been born in the home UK islands. If not, the the application WILL fail.

So to confirm, were the relevant grandparents physically born in the UK home islands?