ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when can i apply for ILR??

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

matthymeine

when can i apply for ILR??

Post by matthymeine » Thu May 14, 2015 1:08 am

i came to uk scotland 3 months ago my wife is british i heard that married partner can apply for british citizenship after 3 years
i still don't understand what to do
please someone help :?:

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: when can i apply for ILR??

Post by Casa » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am

That's before the rules changed. You now need to complete a 5 year probationary period before qualifying for ILR. Once you receive ILR assuming your marriage is subsisting and you meet all the standard requirements you will be able to apply for British citizenship.
You'll need to apply for another 2.5 year extension before your current visa expires.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

matthymeine

Post by matthymeine » Thu May 14, 2015 10:47 am

Casa wrote:That's before the rules changed. You now need to complete a 5 year probationary period before qualifying for ILR. Once you receive ILR assuming your marriage is subsisting and you meet all the standard requirements you will be able to apply for British citizenship.
You'll need to apply for another 2.5 year extension before your current visa expires.
Hey casa but why it s till in the website gov.uk
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 14, 2015 9:21 pm

The link that you have added also says that another requirement is

-> You’ve been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national)

To get ILR as a spouse, you will need to spend five years on a spouse visa. As you would have then also completed three years stay in the UK, you would be able to apply for citizenship straight after getting ILR.

Here is a wizard that explains more about getting ILR, also called settling in the UK.

Finally, be aware that although these are the rules at the moment, the rules do and can change quite often. The new government is working very hard to crack down on immigration. So, expect much tougher/longer periods to wait.

matthymeine

Post by matthymeine » Fri May 15, 2015 12:23 am

secret.simon wrote:The link that you have added also says that another requirement is

-> You’ve been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national)

To get ILR as a spouse, you will need to spend five years on a spouse visa. As you would have then also completed three years stay in the UK, you would be able to apply for citizenship straight after getting ILR.

Here is a wizard that explains more about getting ILR, also called settling in the UK.

Finally, be aware that although these are the rules at the moment, the rules do and can change quite often. The new government is working very hard to crack down on immigration. So, expect much tougher/longer periods to wait.
thank you that was helpful
whats difference between 5 and 10 years route??

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri May 15, 2015 12:29 pm

The 10 year route is for those who have 10 years of legal residence and don't qualify to apply under the 5 year route.
https://www.gov.uk/long-residence/overview
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.