ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Original Birish Passport needed while submitting OCI App

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rachsach

Original Birish Passport needed while submitting OCI App

Post by rachsach » Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello Guys,

While submitting an application for OCI, do we need to submit the original British passport at the same time?

I understand from previous posts that British passport is required to be sent when OCI status changed to documents received in London but could not find any info if it is also required to be sent while submitting the application.

The reason I am asking this because I have to travel to US so I was thinking to submit the application before I travel but if they are going to keep the original British passport then it will be a problem.

Please can you advise from your personal experience if original British passport is needed at the time of submitting the OCI application?

Thanks Romi

bahla
Newly Registered

Re: Original Birish Passport needed while submitting OCI App

Post by bahla » Thu May 14, 2015 7:50 pm

VFS check your UK passport against the photocopy but return it back to you before you leave.

Once your OCI application is approved you will need to take your UK passport back to VFS. They will post it back to you along with the OCI card.

Good luck.

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Thank you bahla.

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 am

bahla wrote:VFS check your UK passport against the photocopy but return it back to you before you leave.

Once your OCI application is approved you will need to take your UK passport back to VFS. They will post it back to you along with the OCI card.

Good luck.
I have just spoken to VFS customer service and they are saying that original British passport is kept along with the photocopy at the time of submitting the OCI application. I am really confused now as to which information is correct.

I would really appreciate if anyone else, apart from bahla, in the fourm who have recently submitted the OCI application, confirm if British passport is kept at the time of submitting the OCI application.

Thanks Romi

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Fri May 15, 2015 12:16 pm

rachsach wrote:
bahla wrote:VFS check your UK passport against the photocopy but return it back to you before you leave.

Good luck.
I have just spoken to VFS customer service and they are saying that original British passport is kept along with the photocopy at the time of submitting the OCI application. I am really confused now as to which information is correct.
I would really appreciate if anyone else, apart from bahla, in the fourm who have recently submitted the OCI application, confirm if British passport is kept at the time of submitting the OCI application.
Thanks Romi
That is not true. I applied this week and the the original passport is returned when applying. Only a photocopy of the original passport is kept by VFS. They will also hold onto to the original Naturalization Certificate and Surrender Certificate.

rachsach

Post by rachsach » Fri May 15, 2015 3:06 pm

NOG wrote:That is not true. I applied this week and the the original passport is returned when applying. Only a photocopy of the original passport is kept by VFS. They will also hold onto to the original Naturalization Certificate and Surrender Certificate.
Thanks for the confirmation NOG. Appreciate you have taken time to respond.

I have also been told by VFS to carry two sets of printed OCI application form with two sets of photocopies of supporting documents. Is that true or I have been given incorrect info by them?

Please can you advise as you have recently submitted your OCI application.

Thanks

bahla
Newly Registered

Post by bahla » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 pm

rachsach wrote:
NOG wrote: I have also been told by VFS to carry two sets of printed OCI application form with two sets of photocopies of supporting documents. Is that true or I have been given incorrect info by them?
Thanks
In my case, VFS (Paddington) retained 1 OCI application form, various original documents (e.g. Registration certificate, affidavit) plus 1 photocopy of all original documents (except the affidavit). Affidavit's are retained by the Indian High Commission.

They wouldn't accept my Indian birth certificate since its in Punjabi+Urdu. They explained that only Hindi or English documents are acceptable. Any document not in Hindi or English needs to be professionally translated. On the website, this requirement is only for foreign-born applicants.

To be on the safe side I suggest that you take an additional OCI application form and additional photocopies. It's clear from people's experiences on this forum that different VFS staff are giving different advice.

Good luck.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Fri May 15, 2015 7:06 pm

rachsach wrote:
NOG wrote:That is not true. I applied this week and the the original passport is returned when applying. Only a photocopy of the original passport is kept by VFS. They will also hold onto to the original Naturalization Certificate and Surrender Certificate.
Thanks for the confirmation NOG. Appreciate you have taken time to respond.

I have also been told by VFS to carry two sets of printed OCI application form with two sets of photocopies of supporting documents. Is that true or I have been given incorrect info by them?

Please can you advise as you have recently submitted your OCI application.

Thanks
I simply took one print out of the OCI application form and one set of photocopies of the British passport, surrender certificate and naturalization certificate.