ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP ASPIRERS SUGGESTION

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HSMPGUIDE
Newly Registered

HSMP ASPIRERS SUGGESTION

Post by HSMPGUIDE » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:52 am

Hi,

Iam starting a new thread which could be very useful to all HSMP Aspirers.
For people who are in the process of applying or want to apply / or are about to come to UK.Iam in UK for 6 months now on a job but it was not a cakewalk due to some mistakes and lack of guidance.Basically you learn somethings from experience and I hope to see the future aspirers not repeating these mistakes. Though Iam writing everything keeping in mind the HSMP aspirers from India only, it does not mean the people from other countries will not find it useful.

First Question

1. Why HSMP?

Have this clear in your mind. Why HSMP and why not through your company?
Are you genuine? It does not matter really, but generally if someone is genuine then he/she would mind any hindrances to the application.

Generally I found that though the Companies can also send you abroad which is not just money making but a good learning experience for software or highly skilled professional.Going abroad is not just money making , it is more than that , it is exposure to a different world and would make improvements to your personality on the whole.Money will come but so will experience.

Two reasons why HSMP is much better than coming through company.

Remember Company is Good , but it is the People in the company who hold the key to your success as a professional and your growth.So in most cases you need the blessings of your seniors in the company to make it abroad and not your talent. Never complain on a company if it is not giving you the right opportunities, simply find another one who are interested for it is not the company's fault it is the fault of the people.

HSMP is for individuals who are ready to spend a little bit from their pocket too and do not mind it if they want some kind of freedom to take decisions and have a bit of choices of their own.

As an HSMP individual the biggest disadvantage is expenditure from your own pocket but the advantage is that it's a visa much more preferred by the UK companies and you will have the option of choosing a perm / contract role with less hassles to the company which is ready to employ you.

OK That is enough.

HSMP Approval Application

Most Important : Less documentation will do but all basic critierias should be met . I mean your degree convocation certificate is enough and you need not send all your 10,10+2, Marks list etc . Convocation means convocation or just one more additions document but not too much.

Most Imporatnt : No contradicting documentation. I mean if you are showing pay details ensure that the documentation you are providing has correct information. Generally there will be some change in the salary slip and the actual salary that gets deposited in bank by your company which is negligible (I mean lets say salary slip shows Amount 100 but deposit in bank was 99.96, In this case just ignore and it does not matter).

Most Important : Details from a single source. I mean do not show 6 months payslips from 1 company and 6 months from another company unless and until it can be avoided. 12 months payslips from a single company are better than 8 months payslips from 1 company and 4 months payslips from another company.

Most Imporatant : Attestations

a) Ensure salary slips are attested and on the letter head. Do not think since you have a company logo on your salary slip , that is enough.

b) Ensure Bank Statements too are attested and highlight the salary deposit rows with a highlighter/pencil and ensure you do not overwrite anything.

Some people can getaway without attestation too but if you take a little extra care then it is always good.

Most Imporatnt : Once you get the approval letter , first thing to do is scan it or take a xerox copy of it.In case your application gets rejected you can appeal and with your reference number with you can plan better.

Most Imporatnt :

HSMP Visa Application

Most Important : Give as much documentation and all that you have.Now give your convocation + 10th class marks , 10+2 marks, Degree marks list etc.
Most Imporatnt : Ensure everything is attested and proper. Generally VFS should guide you and will warn you that they can go ahead and submit the application but would be good if you come back with the extra documentation and proper attestations.

1. Show Good bank Balance and do not try to show balance by transferrring money from some account.Better have some earings of atleat 6 Lakhs in the bank , but the higher the better.

*** Note if you have very good bank balance then you need not have a letter of accomodation from some person in UK regarding where to stay.
However talk to someone and atleast give an address where you would be initially put up and 1 contact number too.If your bank balance is less then try to get hold of someone who is willing to sponsor you.

2. Income tax return statements , if you have them then less hassles if you are genuine. Give Business Cards, Employee ID Card Xerox etc also as a proof of currenty employment.

OK you got the Approval and you got the HSMP Visa too, what next.

1. Take a good short break ( 2 to 4 weeks). Prepare yourself and keep studying the market from the jobsites. The jobsite unfortunately are misleading and there are many misleading ads which indicate jobs which do not exist.

2. I hate to say but from my experience, the biggest hindrance to your success in the UK and specially for the people from India will be their own people(desis) who have settled here.It is ironic but it is good in someways that you should understand that a person from an agency is just doing his job and will have and should not have any special consideration to a job aspirer based on some regional or any other criterias.A good friend is a good friend and he need not be from india to help you.It would be your own mistake if you think desis will help you and it is wrong if you hold such feelings.

Salary is a not a criteria for the right candidate in UK.But there are people in between the company and you for whom your salary is a criteria.

The Indians who are working in agencies here know that since you are from India and you have left your good job and you must have a job and you cannot withstand the cost of living for long and will make you feel that market is not good etc.For these Indians in the agencies the Indian HSMP people are easiest targets and they might try to take advantage for you and somehow they feel that since you are indians you should be satisfied to have a job with a min salary , and these are the ones who are doing currency conversions for you.

So my friends be cautious from an agency if you are from India and a desi Indian from an agency calls you up.My best suggestion would be just take it as a call and even though they will take about your nation and affinity they have only one affinity and that is money and you should also have affinity for it is your own money.

In short treat all people from agencies equally and a good agency will always say "Salary is not the critieria if the company finds that you are the right person for their job and they do not mind cutting down their margin and for them the relation with you and the company is the most important for them but in such cases the response is slow and the result is unknown".

No High expectations and no low expecations too.Also no matter how good you are , remember luck can play a vital role in you getting a job.
But ensure that you are not off work for long as once again the agencies will take you for a ride.

So all the best once you come here and start a new life.

/**NOTE : FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANYTHING WHICH YOU FEEL IS NOT GOOD OR OFFENSIVE REGARDING THE CONTENT, IAM WILLING TO MAKE CHANGES **//

With best wishes

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:19 am

That was good info.
Any info on how easy it is to extend the hsmp visa after the initial period

gmhsmp

Post by gmhsmp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:02 am

@ HSMPGUIDE ..

Good stuff dude.

THANX

ikon1400

Post by ikon1400 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:32 am

@HSMPGUIDE,

Good that you have the patience to put in a large post, but people here dont have the same patience. Moreover people just want an answer for their query instead they wont refer to your post or 'guide'.

Cheers
ikon

prem12

Post by prem12 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 pm

HSMP Guide,

Can you say something about the IT job market.
Do the cons exists there also and if so are they abundant. Is the cwjobs portal good one or they also post fake job openings? I heared that cwjobs is a good job portal.

I have seen contract jobs that provide 300-500 pounds/ day in IT. Are those kind of openings fake?

Thanks.
________
Corvette c2
Last edited by prem12 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HSMPQueries

Post by HSMPQueries » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:06 pm

HSMPGUIDE,

Very helpful. Helps re-iterate my thoughts on coming to the UK without actually leaving my current job in India.

I have got my HSMP approval and would be applying for my EC mid-November. If all goes well, I am planning a trip down to London sometime in the 2nd week of January for a few days, to meet a bunch of consultants and return back to India.

Cause I feel that looking for a job with a job in hand would give me more room for negotiating a job to my preference.

I am currently working with a bulge bracket investment bank in equity research. Any idea on the expected job market in 2008, considering the global economy / deal flow slowdown?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Cheers.