ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SS route thoughts and questions (M-24-UK / F-26-CAMBODIA)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

beeandalex
Newly Registered

SS route thoughts and questions (M-24-UK / F-26-CAMBODIA)

Post by beeandalex » Mon May 18, 2015 12:15 am

Hi, I'm Alex (24) and my fiancée is called Bee (26). We met 18 months ago in Cambodia while I was travelling, she's just spent 6 months here in the UK on a tourist visa and returned to Cambodia on 3 May 2015. We are getting married this year (probably October) and want to settle in the UK.

We initially planned to go for the spouse visa route, but I have been unable to get a job meeting the financial requirement and am concerned about the logistics of taking 5-6 weeks off work to marry in Cambodia. Additionally, I don't like the level of constant scrutiny and goalpost-changing we would face.

So it looks like the EEAFP may be our best chance, with Ireland or France being the preferred destinations (although I have begun to consider Malta). My questions are as follows:

1. I would spend 12 months in the EEA country in order to fulfil the Centre of Life requirement, meaning we would be entering the UK in late 2016 - what are the chances the law will have significantly changed by then?
2. Do you think that the EEA route is sensible in this case?
3. Could you recommend a country where it would be easy for my then-wife to enter and work? Ideally those where it is possible to get English speaking work.
4. Could someone please link me to a thread or blog containing step-by-step instructions for this route? I understand it well enough, but am concerned with logistics such as entering the EEA country, obtaining residence cards and so on.

Spouse visa thread:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... 81964.html

Thanks in advance everyone!

Alex and Bee

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: SS route thoughts and questions (M-24-UK / F-26-CAMBODIA

Post by chriskv1 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:55 pm

I would suggest you both go to Ireland as it would be easier for you and your wife to work there than any other country (you can work anywhere in the EU but finding work elsewhere in the EU is hard.)

Stay there for atleast 6 -7 months before moving back to the UK . I have heard that the Surinder Singh route has become much harder now.

All the best for your application .
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
Mahatma Gandhi

E&OE. I'm not a legal professional.

el patron
Member of Standing

Re: SS route thoughts and questions (M-24-UK / F-26-CAMBODIA

Post by el patron » Tue May 19, 2015 11:33 am

chriskv1 wrote:I would suggest you both go to Ireland as it would be easier for you and your wife to work there than any other country (you can work anywhere in the EU but finding work elsewhere in the EU is hard.)

Stay there for atleast 6 -7 months before moving back to the UK . I have heard that the Surinder Singh route has become much harder now.

All the best for your application .
I also suggest Ireland, in that should you need to rely on benefits on return, you will have already satisfied the residence requirements for JSA since you will have been resident in the Common Travel Area for 3 months or more before the date of claim.