ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

need English test again?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ferryahmed82

need English test again?

Post by ferryahmed82 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:11 am

Hi All

If someone has already satisfied the English language requirement (B1 cert/ESOL entry 3) at the time of ILR in 2014, do he have to submit the Language certificate again at the time of naturalisation application? Is it a must?

Does the Home office have in their records whether the applicant has fulfilled the requirement during ILR, and don't need to prove the requirement again?

Regards

WR1

Re: need English test again?

Post by WR1 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:34 am

No need to submit the test again. There is a tick box option that says English was already satisfied for ILR after 28 October 2013. Use this option.

LIUK still required to be provided though.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

ferryahmed82

Post by ferryahmed82 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:11 am

WR1 wrote:No need to submit the test again. There is a tick box option that says English was already satisfied for ILR after 28 October 2013. Use this option.

LIUK still required to be provided though.
Thanks.

So, If this option is ticked which says I met the requirement for knowledge of life and language during settlement application after 28th October 2013, then no further language proof need to be sent?

But when I looked at the supporting docs mentioned in the AN form, it doesn't mention anything about who ticked this option. According to this, it must be presented

SECTION 2 Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK: required for all applicants:
• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either
• Certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification. If you took a test on or after 6 April 2015 write the number of your qualification at section 1.25 on page 7; or
• Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English or (ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); or
• If you are awaiting graduation or no longer have your certificate and cannot get a new one you must send either:
▪▪an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award. The letter should also explain when the academic qualification was, or will be awarded; and state either the date that the certificate will be issued (if you have not yet graduated) or confirms that the institution is unable to reissue the original certificate of award; or
Form AN Application form (version 04/15) Page 30 of 31
▪▪an original academic transcript that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title and provides confirmation of the award; or
• Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country; or
• A letter from a medical practitioner to show that you should be exempt on the grounds of poor physical and/or mental health.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:19 am

ferryahmed82 wrote: So, If this option is ticked which says I met the requirement for knowledge of life and language during settlement application after 28th October 2013, then no further language proof need to be sent?
No further language proof needed. You need to send original LIUK test result document, though.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

ferryahmed82

Post by ferryahmed82 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:57 am

fwd079 wrote:
ferryahmed82 wrote: So, If this option is ticked which says I met the requirement for knowledge of life and language during settlement application after 28th October 2013, then no further language proof need to be sent?
No further language proof needed. You need to send original LIUK test result document, though.
But this isn't mentioned in supporting docs section, that makes me confused?

How the Homeoffice verifies that the requirement has been met before?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:31 pm

ferryahmed82 wrote:
fwd079 wrote:
But this isn't mentioned in supporting docs section, that makes me confused?

How the Homeoffice verifies that the requirement has been met before?
No further proof needed. They have records on your file.
If it was after 28 October 2013, , you can simply tick the relevant box, on form AN page 7, simply tick the box:
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;
And move on, please also consider using Nationality Checking Service for further peace of mind. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

ferryahmed82

Post by ferryahmed82 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:40 pm

I have just called Home Office and the guy told me that even if we tick this option, we still need to send the language certificate.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:53 pm

ferryahmed82 wrote:I have just called Home Office and the guy told me that even if we tick this option, we still need to send the language certificate.
TBH, half of the people on those lines don't have a clue about many things.

The documents section for providing the English is for those that need to satisfy the English requirement. If you have already demonstrated English for ILR after 28 October 2013, there is no requirement to submit the test. In fact, tests are now verified online and the original certificate do not need to be submitted at all, just the details and this is the case for a number of applications (ILR, FLR etc...) This is even stated in the UKVI's English list of acceptable qualifications (SELT).

However, if you still have doubts, do submit the English certificate as there is no harm is doing so.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided