ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation, marriage and visas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

linuxman2k3
Newly Registered

Naturalisation, marriage and visas

Post by linuxman2k3 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Hello fellas! I'm not sure where to post this question so if the Admin feels it should be in a different forum please feel to move it. I became a British citizen just over a year ago so... happy days. Now, here's the issue.

I now hold two nationalities (including British). I got married to my wife (Chinese) using my old nationality a few years ago so my marriage certificate lists my other nationality, not British. My wife holds ILR as she cannot have dual nationality. In order for my wife to travel without a visa to the EU she must be my dependant (marked on her UK resident permit) but she was granted ILR before I was a British citizen. So I have some questions:

Since I am now British, is there a way to notify the UK Registrar office or any other office that I am married? I'd like to obtain a document certifying I am a British citizen married to my wife.

Has anyone encountered this situation previously? I'm sure I am not the only one. My wife shouldnt need a Schengen visa to travel as long as I travel with her but I cannot prove she is married to a British citizen. Surely someone else has faced this problem or other situation where they had to show a marriage certificate with the new nationality?

Any advice is much appreciated.

hellonewhere

Re: Naturalisation, marriage and visas

Post by hellonewhere » Fri May 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi,

I cannot answer your question directly, however, I can give my own experience regarding changes to a marriage certificate.

My own marriage certificate had an error and we had to send it back to the registry office to have it corrected.
It was an error on their part, therefore, it was corrected.

As far as I know, you cannot amend a marriage certificate to reflect change in circumstances after the marriage.
If you weren't a BC at the time of your marriage, you cannot change your nationality to reflect it now.

Please refer to this document for changes to a marriage certificate;
https://www.gov.uk/correct-marriage-registration

On the other hand, if you have a marriage certificate ( regardless of the nationality in your marriage certificate ) and British passport or naturalisation certificate, isn't that enough proof to demonstrate that you are married to each other and you are a British Citizen?

Edit; I just realised it depends where you got married and what the rules of that country is?. I got married in the UK, therefore, it might be different.

Hope someone else can help you. Good luck.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation, marriage and visas

Post by CR001 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:23 pm

to travel without a visa to the EU she must be my dependant (marked on her UK resident permit)
This is not relevant to spouse of British Citizens. This is for EU citizens (excl UK) spouses who have a EEA Residence Permit.

Your wife will need a Schengen visa but this should be issued for free as you are British.

It does not matter if your marriage certificate says another nationality as long as your name/details on the certificate and on your British passport are the same etc, then obviously she is currently married to a British Citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.