ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuous residence question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cset134
Newly Registered

Continuous residence question

Post by cset134 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Will appreciate if someone can answer this please.

I switched from a Tier 4 to Tier 2 General in June 2013 in-country (for a job starting in August 2013) but then left the UK for 2 months and came back just before the job start in August. When does my Tier 2 continuous residence period start for ILR purposes?

Thanks in advance.

leeloy88

Re: Continuous residence question

Post by leeloy88 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 pm

cset134 wrote:Will appreciate if someone answer this please.

I switched from a Tier 4 to Tier 2 General in June 2013 in-country (for a job starting in August 2013) but then left the UK for 2 months and came back just before the job start in August. When does my Tier 2 continuous residence period start for ILR purposes?

Thanks in advance.
June. Even if the tier 2 was issued outside the UK it's still June as long as you entered the UK within 90 days after the issue date.

cset134
Newly Registered

Post by cset134 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks leeloy88. What about the 2 months break? Is that in line with continuous residence?

What justification will I need to provide for that given the employment only started in august?

leeloy88

Post by leeloy88 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:34 am

If you start counting from June you will need to count the 2 months as absences from the UK, it's 2 months so about 60 days you're fine as long as the total days outside the UK don't exceed 180 days per every 12 months of the 5 years.

Or if not, you can start counting your 5 years from August (in case you do have a lot of personal or business travel with your employment and counting that 60 days will exceed the 180 days threshold).

I don't think you should worry and over think this at all, it's too early for you (you will complete 5 years tier 2 in 2018) and who knows what the immigration rules will be at that time.