ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Extension and NHS Surcharges

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jibri
BANNED

Tier 2 Extension and NHS Surcharges

Post by jibri » Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I have tier 2 extension due in March 16 and my ten years in UK will finish on 5 Sep 2016, means only few months.

I will apply for ILR in Sep 16, my question is if I apply for extension of Tier 2 for three years I will pay £600 for each applicants which is very expensive. Can I apply for extension only for one year so I pay only £200 or even less then 6 month because then I will pay only £100. Need your expert advice as its getting expensive every day :(

Also after ILR on 10 years basis will my wife has to spend 5 years again to get ILR?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 Extension and NHS Surcharges

Post by CR001 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Your extension will likely be for 3 years and you will have to pay the surcharge for the relevant period of extension. Possible to get a refund if you are granted ILR on the basis of long residency (not 100% sure though). It is £200 per year or part of year.

If you apply on the basis of 10 years, your spouse will have to switch to FLR(M) and pay the surcharge again for the initial visa and again when extending after 2.5 years. She will have to wait for 5 years on FLR(M) before qualifying for ILR (unless she reaches 10 years in that time).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Tue May 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks CR001,

Why I cannot extend for one year? If my employer mention one year on my COS?
and why I should not be sure about ILR on long residency basis when I lived here lawfully continuesly , no absents more then I shoud.

Also I read that there is no refund for the NHS surcharges.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Why I cannot extend for one year? If my employer mention one year on my COS?
When you apply for the extension, you will be required to pay the NHS surcharge. Depending on what it asks you and says, you will have to pay in accordance otherwise you will not be able to progress on your extension application.
and why I should not be sure about ILR on long residency basis when I lived here lawfully continuesly , no absents more then I shoud.
I did not question your 10 years residence qualifying period. Read my sentence again as what I said is possible re surcharge. Please remember that the surcharge is new, so we are all on a learning curve but possibility of refund has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum by Amber.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Tue May 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks CR001 and I appreciate your time here :) and very sorry for misunderstanding the sentence.

I now that I can apply for ILR after 5 years on the basis of Tier 2 General visa, my first visa was for three years so if I ask my employer to show start and end date on my COS for only year so I pay surcharge only for one year rather then applying refund after.

As total no of years on Tier 2 General is 6 years, The main question is can Tier 2 Extension apply for one year?

DEEPAM
United Kingdom

Post by DEEPAM » Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi
You can apply for any length of time as long it states on the COS.
1) It can be upto 3 years
2) It can be upto 5 years
3) It can be any sort of time i.e., 6 months or 3 months etc.,
As long as you wont exceed six years on Tier 2 general.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 am

get a cos for 1 year.
apply for new tier 2 visa for yourself and all dependents.
pay 600 each for yourself and all dependent
tier 2 visa will be given for 1 year.
400 each for yourself and all dependent will be refunded.
get ilr on lr
apply FLR(M) for wife and all applicant not born in UK.
pay 500 each for all dependent for NHS charges
get visa for 2.5 years of dependents. extend once more before they qualify for ILR.

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Wed May 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks all for your input. I think I will apply for one year extension. hope they don't scrap the 10 years route until then.

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Fri May 22, 2015 1:09 pm

I have just checked the surcharge via calculator provided at gov.uk and if I select the start and end date of contract for one year it shows the payable surcharge of £200 each. if i select for less then 6 month then it shows £100.

Now money is very hard to earn and easy to give away so I want to save as much as possible. My 10 years in country will complete before my 6 month ends if I get extension for less then 6 months.

The question is can I apply for less then 6 month extension as Tier 2 with same employer same job?

If for any reason I don't get ILR, Can I apply for further extension of 1.5 years to complete my 5 years as Tier 2?

If I apply for my ILR can I apply same time for my wife for FLR ( M )? or first I need to be granted the ILR then I can apply?

Thanks for your help here :)

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Fri May 22, 2015 2:30 pm

yes
yes
yes. You and your wife can apply at the same time with a covering letter explaining that they should look at your dependents case once they have decided on your ILR application.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 pm

jibri wrote:I have just checked the surcharge via calculator provided at gov.uk and if I select the start and end date of contract for one year it shows the payable surcharge of £200 each. if i select for less then 6 month then it shows £100.

Now money is very hard to earn and easy to give away so I want to save as much as possible. My 10 years in country will complete before my 6 month ends if I get extension for less then 6 months.

The question is can I apply for less then 6 month extension as Tier 2 with same employer same job?
Even if you can do that, it will be more expensive for you because you and your dependants will not be allowed to use the NHS for free if you don't have an IHS each. You would need to buy full health insurance for yourself and all your family. The NHS will not be free to use until you are granted ILR.

If you risk having no health insurance and no IHS and then have an accident or emergency that involves operations or stay on ward, you will be billed at 150% of the NHS costs. It will cost you thousands of pounds. It makes that IHS £100 each for 6 months full health cover, look really inexpensive.

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Fri May 22, 2015 3:01 pm

iworker wrote:yes
yes
yes. You and your wife can apply at the same time with a covering letter explaining that they should look at your dependents case once they have decided on your ILR application.
Thanks a lot Iworker for your input

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Fri May 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Petaltop wrote:
jibri wrote:I have just checked the surcharge via calculator provided at gov.uk and if I select the start and end date of contract for one year it shows the payable surcharge of £200 each. if i select for less then 6 month then it shows £100.

Even if you can do that, it will be more expensive for you because you and your dependants will not be allowed to use the NHS for free if you don't have an IHS each. You would need to buy full health insurance for yourself and all your family. The NHS will not be free to use until you are granted ILR.

If you risk having no health insurance and no IHS and then have an accident or emergency that involves operations or stay on ward, you will be billed at 150% of the NHS costs. It will cost you thousands of pounds. It makes that IHS £100 each for 6 months full health cover, look really inexpensive.

Hi, Yes I am and I will have to pay for NHS £100 for six month, So I will cover myself. Its just If I pay for longer then money will waste as there is no refund and I will apply for ILR and wife will not to apply for dependent again.

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Mon May 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi there
Could one of the knowledgeable members or moderators confirm for me as have had different opinions in the UK on the NHS Surcharge issue. My daughter is just completing her professional degree qualification at the moment and has been offered full time employment by an A rated sponsor so we are just about to shortly start the process of her switch from General Tier 4 Student Visa to Tier 2 General Visa with her Sponsorship. She has a national Insurance Number and has been doing part time work within the allowable parameters whilst studying and thus been contributing both NI and tax thereon. She has for the last 3 years been registered with a GP surgery and utilising their services on the NHS with no issue at all. Will she now on her application to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 for 3 years have to pay the NHS Surcharge? There appears to be a lot of confusion here re this as we have been told by some immigration people here that she will not have to pay this as they say that she will be applying to permanently remain in the UK and because she has been contributing NI? The whole thing is a little confusing as I thought she would have to pay it for the 3 year period? If anyone who knows the correct answer can confirm for me please?
Cheers.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Ancestor wrote:Hi there
Could one of the knowledgeable members or moderators confirm for me as have had different opinions in the UK on the NHS Surcharge issue. My daughter is just completing her professional degree qualification at the moment and has been offered full time employment by an A rated sponsor so we are just about to shortly start the process of her switch from General Tier 4 Student Visa to Tier 2 General Visa with her Sponsorship. She has a national Insurance Number and has been doing part time work within the allowable parameters whilst studying and thus been contributing both NI and tax thereon. She has for the last 3 years been registered with a GP surgery and utilising their services on the NHS with no issue at all. Will she now on her application to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 for 3 years have to pay the NHS Surcharge? There appears to be a lot of confusion here re this as we have been told by some immigration people here that she will not have to pay this as they say that she will be applying to permanently remain in the UK and because she has been contributing NI? The whole thing is a little confusing as I thought she would have to pay it for the 3 year period? If anyone who knows the correct answer can confirm for me please?
Cheers.
If she is applying for a Tier 2 General visa, she will have to pay the surcharge and it will be £600 for the 3 years visa validity.
she will be applying to permanently remain in the UK
She is not applying to remain permanently (ILR) if she is applying for a Tier 2 General visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Mon May 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Thank you CR001, thanks for your prompt response, and that is what my thoughts were and I understood.
Will let her know that she will have to pay the charge.
Cheers.

premamanivannan
Newly Registered

Post by premamanivannan » Tue May 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi, My Husband is applying for ILR next week and he was in Tier 2 ICT, I am here for last 1.6 yrs and I am going to apply for PBS dependant for 3 yrs at the same time. Now my question is do I need to pay IHS? PLZ HELP ME OUT, so much confused with this IHS policy..Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 pm

premamanivannan wrote:Hi, My Husband is applying for ILR next week and he was in Tier 2 ICT, I am here for last 1.6 yrs and I am going to apply for PBS dependant for 3 yrs at the same time. Now my question is do I need to pay IHS? PLZ HELP ME OUT, so much confused with this IHS policy..Thanks in advance
No, Tier 2 ICT and Tier 2 ICT dependents are exempt and don't have to pay the surcharge. You will only need the IHS number, but no payment will be due.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... -pay[quote]

When you’ll need an IHS reference number

You still need to use the service to get an immigration health surcharge (IHS) reference number but you won’t need to pay if:

you’re applying for a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa (or you’re their dependant)
you’re a child under 18 who has been taken into care by a local authority
you’re a national of Australia or New Zealand
you’re the dependant of a member of the UK’s armed forces
you’re the dependant of a member of another country’s forces who is exempt from immigration control
you’re a relevant civilian employee employed by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) or the Australian Department of Defence in the UK (or you’re their dependant)

The service will tell you that you don’t have to pay anything and will give you your healthcare surcharge reference number for your application.

You’ll be able to use the National Health Service (NHS) even if you’re exempt from paying. [/quote]
Char (CR001 not Casa)

premamanivannan
Newly Registered

Post by premamanivannan » Fri May 29, 2015 11:57 am

Thank You for your response and yesterday we got ILR for my husband and got FLR(M) for me. :D

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 pm

I have another question if anyone can help please. As per my SOC code the salary for extension is £ 28,600, I will not be earning that much at the time of extension however this amount is for 39 hours and I was working 37.5 hours as per my previous COS.

My question is if I reduce my hours from 37.5 to 30 hours then I fullfill the requirement of salary which is £ 22,000.

Now the question is that 30 hours satisfy the requirement for Tier 2 ? if not how many minimum hours one should work ?

Thanks for your help

bholo

Post by bholo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:49 pm

I dont think so 30 hours will meet requirement but worth to confirm

jibri
BANNED

Re: What are the minimum hours to work /week for Tier 2 Gene

Post by jibri » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Thank you for your response, I know that its fine if working hours are 35 week

anybody else can help?

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Anyone else can please help and confirm from experience knowledge that If I can apply extension on basis of 32.5 hours per week to match my salary as my employer not willing to increase to £28,400 which I think based on 39 hours? . On my first aplication I mentioned 37.5 hours.

Thanks

justdopposite

Post by justdopposite » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Anyone else can please help and confirm from experience knowledge that If I can apply extension on basis of 32.5 hours per week to match my salary as my employer not willing to increase to £28,400 which I think based on 39 hours? . On my first aplication I mentioned 37.5 hours.

Thanks
Hi, any thoughts on this please ? I'm interested to know too. Thanks.