ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

robkal
Newly Registered

Student application

Post by robkal » Tue May 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a Polish citizen living in the UK since 2007. I want to go through the naturalisation process however I am not sure how to proceed with my application.

My mother and I moved to the UK from Poland in 2007 when I was 15. My father had arrived here a year earlier in 2006 and both of my parents worked continuously since their arrival. I went on to complete my GCSEs and A-levels and started an undergraduate university degree in 2009 at 18 years old. I completed it in 2012 and then started a Masters degree straight after. Upon finishing my MSc I worked for a year until October 2014 when I started a PhD which I expect to finish in 2017/2018. My education was funded through UK government student loans and scholarships.

I’ve started looking at the naturalisation process and I believe that I meet all the residency requirements etc. but one aspect which I don’t fully understand is applying while being a student. The forms indicate that I require a “Comprehensive Health Insurance” while at university. I never had private health insurance as I assumed that with my parents and myself working throughout university and being in the UK for 3 years before starting university I was eligible for the services of the NHS. I have in fact used it on a few occasions.
Could you help me understand my current status when applying for naturalisation? The guidelines for students seem to be designed for people who arrived here with a purpose of starting higher education, whereas I arrived here as a dependant of my parents and then went on to study and work.

Thanks for your help,
Rob.