ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizen and south african boyfriend.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

british citizen and south african boyfriend.

Post by bubbe2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:08 am

I am a 26 yr old female born and raised in UK, I have 2 passports one british and the other philippine as i intend to settle in philippines in years to come.

My south african boyfriend is 23 currently in UK on a 2 yr holidaymaker visa (2yrs max visa), runs out in June 2008, he plans on extending this to 6 months.

during the extention we plan on having a family., soon after this we plan on getting married TWICE one in S.A for his family, and another in Philippines for my family.

I would like to know what I expect to face, in terms of immigration, legal issues etc...

I know there is no easy route to this, all i want to avoid is him being deported back to S.A because he cannot find any work, or they'll deport him anyway despite us having a baby and the intention to marry in S.A

pleeeeeeease help, i don't know what to do, or where to turn to???

:(

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:57 pm

The only way he can extend the whm visa is to convert it to a visit visa, which means that he wouldn't be able to work.

Why don't you have a small civil ceremony in the UK, then he can switch to spouse while here?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

Post by bubbe2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm

no;

WE don't want to get married here in the UK only in S.A and the philippines.

thanks all the same!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 pm

bubbe2005 wrote:My south african boyfriend is 23 currently in UK on a 2 yr holidaymaker visa (2yrs max visa), runs out in June 2008, he plans on extending this to 6 months.
A working holiday visa cannot be extended. As Victoria has pointed out any "extension" is in actual fact an application for a 6 month tourist visa with all the limitations this implies, the most important limitation being that he can no longer work.
bubbe2005 wrote: I would like to know what I expect to face, in terms of immigration, legal issues etc...
Once you have got legally married in South Africa your then-husband will have to apply for a spouse visa from the British High Commission in South Africa. Only once he has obtained this visa will he be able to return to the UK with you. He will be able to work on this visa too.

All the information you require can be found here:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8721067257
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:16 pm

bubbe2005 wrote:no;

WE don't want to get married here in the UK only in S.A and the philippines.

thanks all the same!
We can't always do exactly what we want to do.

There is no way that your boyfriend can extend his visa and retain the right to work. Unless you have been living together for the whole of the two years that he has been here.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

Post by bubbe2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:33 pm

ok well if he won't work then because of the visa situation?
what if we live off my wages which btw is more than enough!!!!

can we get married in S.A after his working-holiday visa has been extended
so basically he goes to S.A i follow him we get married we come back to UK we live together I work he looks after baby then I save and we go to phils to get married again???

makes sense???

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:36 pm

Okay then, if you can afford to support him, no problem (lucky him ;) )

So....you go to SA, marry, then he applies to re-enter the UK as your spouse....easy!

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:37 pm

bubbe2005 wrote:ok well if he won't work then because of the visa situation?
what if we live off my wages which btw is more than enough!!!!

can we get married in S.A after his working-holiday visa has been extended
so basically he goes to S.A i follow him we get married we come back to UK we live together I work he looks after baby then I save and we go to phils to get married again???

makes sense???
I suggest you read the posts above carefully, because it's clear you haven't been paying attention. All the information you require is there.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

bubbe2005
Newly Registered

Post by bubbe2005 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:37 pm

ok heres the scenario:

what if: he has to go back in june

I have the baby soon after

I then go to S.A to get married to him.

WILL HE OR WILL HE NOT BE ABLE TO COME BACK WITH ME
YES or NO?!?!?!?!?

if he was allowed entry we will live together on my thousands of pounds that i earn!!! are you telling me he cannot be a stay at home husband and I'm the one to work????

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:38 pm

bubbe2005 wrote:ok heres the scenario:

if he was allowed entry we will live together on my thousands of pounds that i earn!!! are you telling me he cannot be a stay at home husband and I'm the one to work????
I don't think ANYONE has said this. And there is really no need to shout when we are trying to help you.

But if you want to come back to the UK to live after you marry he will have to apply for the correct visa at the British High Commission in SA.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!