ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry clearance for wife (HSMP approved)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waa15
Newly Registered

Entry clearance for wife (HSMP approved)

Post by waa15 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi,
I would like to know the best option to take in the following situation:
I have been granted HSMP initial. Now I need to apply for EC to UK so that I can take up job offers, settle down and then send for my wife and kid. I reside legally in Spain where I am completing my PhD. soon. My wife and kid reside in Nigeria.

Should I:
1. apply in Spain, go to UK, and then send for my family in Nigeria or
2. go to Nigeria and apply with my family at the same time ?

All useful advice will be appreciated

waa15

hsmpwpilr

Post by hsmpwpilr » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:07 pm

HSMP approval entitles only yourself for entry clearance. Once you have your entry clearance you can sponsor your spouce and children for Dependent visa.

To be able to sponsor dependent visa you need to :
1. prove that you have sufficient money to support yourself and your dependents.
2. You have a job in UK
3. You have a place to live for yourself and your dependents.

Considering this, I'd advise you to go with option 1. Go to UK, find yourself job. Arrange for accomodation and accumulate savings and then sponsor the dependents.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:13 pm

I think that if you have been living in different countries you will probably need to prove that the marriage is subsisting and that you have frequent contact.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

waa15
Newly Registered

Post by waa15 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:24 am

VictoriaS wrote:... prove that the marriage is subsisting and that you have frequent contact.
Victoria
Thank you for the replies. I go to Nigeria every two months and do most of my research work there. I am resident in Spain and receive grants every month for my research work.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Then supply lots of evidence of this.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

waa15
Newly Registered

Post by waa15 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:52 am

hsmpwpilr wrote:HSMP approval entitles only yourself for entry clearance. Once you have your entry clearance you can sponsor your spouce and children for Dependent visa.
According to the guidance doc., HSMP entitles me to EC for my spouse, children under 18, and myself.
hsmpwpilr wrote: To be able to sponsor dependent visa you need to :
1. prove that you have sufficient money to support yourself and your dependents.
2. You have a job in UK
3. You have a place to live for yourself and your dependents.

Considering this, I'd advise you to go with option 1. Go to UK, find yourself job. Arrange for accomodation and accumulate savings and then sponsor the dependents.
OK., if I go with option 1 and I can supply documents for 1,2,and 3 as you stated above, for how long do I need to reside and work legally before I ma entitled to family re-union? I am asking this because some European countries expect you to work legally for at least 1 year before you are entitled to family re-union.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:51 pm

HSMP approval does not 'entitle' you to anything, other than the right to work once you have obtained entry clearance.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

waa15
Newly Registered

Post by waa15 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:04 pm

VictoriaS wrote:HSMP approval does not 'entitle' you to anything, other than the right to work once you have obtained entry clearance.

Victoria
You are right. Wrong choice of word maybe. Now I want to quote:

move into the second stage of the application process ... apply for either entry clearance to come to the UK...

And BTW, I will appreciate your opinion on the right choice to take.