ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian wanting to get married in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ilrapplicant2013

Canadian wanting to get married in the UK

Post by ilrapplicant2013 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

Hi all,

Query on behalf of my friend. My friends who are Canadians and living in the US currently want to get married in the UK.

Looks like they need a Marriage visitor visa? Is that correct?
I would have imagined them being part of Commonwealth they wouldn't take a visa.

Can someone please clarify.

Also, if this is required any idea on the timeliness?

Thanks for reading.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Canadian wanting to get married in the UK

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 27, 2015 11:43 am

They do technically, but it is possible they could enter, marry, and leave without being noticed. However, these days all is connected and UKVI monitor the banns I'm sure to catch people in sham marriages, not saying this is of course, but they might get 'picked' and have to explain themselves.

Worst case is sent back home and have to apply for a visit visa formally in future and risk refusal....

Best to do it properly in this day and age, these things have a habit of biting back....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 am

Commonwealth citizens still need to abide by other commonwealth countries immigration rules. Visitors are not allowed to enter the UK with the intention of getting married in the UK. They need Marriage Visitor visas.

Since March all marriages where both aren't a UK citizen, EU citizen of have ILR, are reported to UKVI and they can stop the marriage while they investigate. As Wanderer said, best to apply for Marriage Visitor visas as they are meant to do. With Marriage Visitor visas their marriage won't be delayed or stopped by UKVI.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Further to the advice you're already been given, be aware that In March of this year the rules changed for notification of marriage for those who have limited or no leave to remain in the UK.
If you and/or your partner are a non-EEA national with limited or no immigration
status in the UK, or if you or your partner do not provide specified evidence of your
immigration status, your proposed marriage or civil partnership will be referred to
the Home Office and your notice period may be extended to 70 days. In giving
notice you should therefore allow sufficient time before the date of your planned
marriage or civil partnership recognising that 70 days notice may be required.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ilrapplicant2013

Post by ilrapplicant2013 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for the response all.

Of course, both of them are looking to go back to the US, but a marriage in UK is just due to health circumstances of a relative.

Anybody can advise on the timeliness for this. Is there an expedited service.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Do you mean an expedited service for a visa application or to marry?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.