ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA student with P60s during study period but not CSI

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

theo_p
Newly Registered

EEA student with P60s during study period but not CSI

Post by theo_p » Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I just need some help understanding the rules for excercising treaty rights for EEA students.
My wife has Greek nationality and came to the UK in Sep 2008 as a PhD student. Since 2010 she started doing part time work at the university, not much in terms of pay, invigilation and clerical duties, but she has P60s from 2010. She also has supporting documents from the university confirming she has been living in the UK since 2008 along with bank statements, bills etc.
In Jan 2014 she finished her studies and started working full time, since today. She has P60s for all that period.
When we called the council to use the nationality checking service, they told us this may be an issue as she didn't have comprehensive self insurance during the period of her studies.
Having checked the forum, I found that this only became a requirement after 2011. For the time after that, she does have P60s but her salary was quite small as I mentioned this was not a permanent job.
Do you think, that the P60s in addition to the bills and bank statements cover the requirements and are sufficient for her to apply?
thanks!

Julian11

Re: EEA student with P60s during study period but not CSI

Post by Julian11 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm

What was the nature of the employment? Was she employed continuously under a contract, for 2010-2014? It being few hours/not much money I don't think would matter, but if she was only employed for say, May-June 2010, then Aug-Sept 2010, etc. on temporary contracts, I think that could be a problem, but I'm not 100% sure, so hopefully somebody will confirm.

Either way, all the best of luck!

badratio

Post by badratio » Wed May 27, 2015 7:21 pm

She needs to apply as a worker then.

I was working while studying and applied as a worker even though I worked around 25 hours a month and still my application gone through. I was in a long term employment though and provided payslips for every single month I worked.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

Torex

Post by Torex » Thu May 28, 2015 9:11 am

She started work in 2010, so applying as a worker is not enough as she needs 5 qualifying years to get PR + 1 year having it to apply for naturalization.

Julian11 is right, if it is continuous employment, even if part time with small number of hours, with no gaps, it should be fine.
I couldn't find any information about minimum number of hours when working part time to qualify that time as a worker.
You only need P60s as an evidence of the qualifying time as a worker. There is no point sending bills/bank statements unless they asked for it.

I still would confirm that with someone else.
Unfortunately many NCS offices don't have much experience dealing with EEA applications.
The one I attended, phoned the Home Office twice to confirm some details I told them about.

theo_p
Newly Registered

Post by theo_p » Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks everyone for your answers and the time you spent,

Unfortunately, the work was not continuous during that periodbut only for certain periods of each year.
I did also call the immigration and visa helpline. The moment I mentioned that she worked part time and had P60s from 2010 they said that it's absolutely fine to proceed and apply. They didn't ask about the nature of the work (continuous or not), so maybe this doesn't play a role.

Maybe just to be safe, I will call again to clarify this point as well.
Thanks again,
Theo

Julian11

Post by Julian11 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:45 pm

I would suggest applying for PR confirmation as it is only just over 50 and once that is obtained, naturalisation is much quicker and you would know that this wouldn't be an issue.