ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RETAIN RIGHT OF RESIDENCE CARD AS A DIVORCE FROM EEA WIFE

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pains
Brazil

RETAIN RIGHT OF RESIDENCE CARD AS A DIVORCE FROM EEA WIFE

Post by pains » Tue May 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi All, I'll be very very please for some help on this ….

I Brazilian did come to UK August 2007, then i met a italian girl… We get married on 14 july of 2011; been leaving together since we married, she is working in UK as waiter and me registered and paying taxs as Self-Employed and our relation wasn't going well then we decide for divorce as she has another person now. We got our divorce certificate done last week. I'm very worrying if i Can apply to remain in UK on my own and retain my residence card? Also when i can apply to ILR? (if yes)..

whatislife786

Re: RETAIN RIGHT OF RESIDENCE CARD AS A DIVORCE FROM EEA WIF

Post by whatislife786 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 pm

pains wrote:Hi All, I'll be very very please for some help on this ….

I Brazilian did come to UK August 2007, then i met a italian girl… We get married on 14 july of 2011; been leaving together since we married, she is working in UK as waiter and me registered and paying taxs as Self-Employed and our relation wasn't going well then we decide for divorce as she has another person now. We got our divorce certificate done last week. I'm very worrying if i Can apply to remain in UK on my own and retain my residence card? Also when i can apply to ILR? (if yes)..

hi there same case here do u have any idea what we can do now? shall go for Pr or eea(fm) please advise thanks

pains
Brazil

Post by pains » Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Please any one can HELLLP??

lady777
Newly Registered

Post by lady777 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:44 am

Hello
You are eligible for Retained right of residence if your marriage lasted for 3 years(means you will need to provide proof of address, etc), and as far as I know you need to notify Home Office once you received Decree Absolute.
When you started divorce procedure , at that time for how long have you been married?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed May 20, 2015 1:43 am

pains wrote:Hi All, I'll be very very please for some help on this ….

14-07-2016 is the earliest time you can apply for Confirmation of a right of Permanent Residence.

You may be able to retain your right of residence, if a genuine marriage had lasted at least 3 years and that 1 of those years were spent in the UK, and she was a qualified person at the time of divorce.

On its face, you may be able to apply for confirmation of a retained right of residence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

pains
Brazil

Post by pains » Wed May 20, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi Lady777 Thank you so much for your reply to me …
In that time of divorce my married time was about 3 years and 10 months because i get married on 14-07-2011 as i mentioned before
so its still ok?

pains
Brazil

Post by pains » Wed May 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi Obie Thanks a lot for your reply …

My marriage had lasted at 3 years and 10 all most …And it been spend all in UK in same address since we get married in 14-07-2011.
When u say "...and she was a qualified person at the time of divorce…" What you mean? And how i can find out if she was or not?

Thank you

Khan1980

Post by Khan1980 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

pains wrote:Hi Obie Thanks a lot for your reply …

My marriage had lasted at 3 years and 10 all most …And it been spend all in UK in same address since we get married in 14-07-2011.
When u say "...and she was a qualified person at the time of divorce…" What you mean? And how i can find out if she was or not?

Thank you
Qualified person meas He/She ( EEA National) was exercising his/her treaty rights such as

Working (Employeed)
Self Employeed
Self Sufficient with CSI
Student

And if you spare some time and go through the relevent application form and guidance (you will have answers of 99% questions.

pains
Brazil

Post by pains » Thu May 21, 2015 9:14 pm

:) :) :) :) Thank you everybody for replaying …..
I'll apply for it next week or begin of June …
Any one would know how long it takes for HO decide?

I will be back posting the result, when i get my case done...

azdjani2012
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by azdjani2012 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 am

make sure u av got her employment record and her pay slips, while the divorced happened

UKvsBRA
Newly Registered

Post by UKvsBRA » Wed May 27, 2015 12:35 am

ok, Thank you…
just went to adviser today to make my application …
lets see what happen i will be back with updates.

tonero1
Newly Registered
Barbados

Post by tonero1 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:03 am

Dear house
Can someone please advise me on the right application form I need to fill to apply for Retained right of residence. My divorce has just come through. there are so many forms lying around and I do not know which one to use. is it the form EEA4 or EEA2? please advise
thanks in advance.
Tonero

whatislife786

Post by whatislife786 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi pains,
im suffering same condition as you kindly could you help me out how to get divorce is there any condition for divorce we have to wait for one year or can we get immediate divorce i have been married in scotland same as your married date.so mate you and me on same boat please help.
thanks.

UKvsBRA
Newly Registered

Post by UKvsBRA » Thu May 28, 2015 9:25 pm

whatislife786 wrote:Hi pains,
im suffering same condition as you kindly could you help me out how to get divorce is there any condition for divorce we have to wait for one year or can we get immediate divorce i have been married in scotland same as your married date.so mate you and me on same boat please help.
thanks.
Hi there,
I been in a adviser on tuesday to make my application and it was fine to do it… I did my divorce in less than a week time by "power of attorney" but it was out of UK where we get marriage on that time. i just did a translation for english of my divorce certificate and process my application…but I'm sure any MODERATOR here can advise u better

If any one know how long takes the process to retain rights of residence card please let me know thanks ….

whatislife786

Post by whatislife786 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:52 pm

UKvsBRA wrote:
whatislife786 wrote:Hi pains,
thanks.
Hi there,
I been in a adviser on tuesday to make my application and it was fine to do it… I did my divorce in less than a week time by "power of attorney" but it was out of UK where we get marriage on that time. i just did a translation for english of my divorce certificate and process my application…but I'm sure any MODERATOR here can advise u better

If any one know how long takes the process to retain rights of residence card please let me know thanks ….

hi could you tell me if i get divorce now can i submit most recent 1yr cohabitation proof any idea?thanks

UKvsBRA
Newly Registered

Post by UKvsBRA » Fri May 29, 2015 12:05 am

You need make sure u married last 3 years at the time u get the ur divorce certificate and prove one year cohabitation…
and prove that she was working since u get married until now...

whatislife786

Post by whatislife786 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:29 am

UKvsBRA wrote:You need make sure u married last 3 years at the time u get the ur divorce certificate and prove one year cohabitation…
and prove that she was working since u get married until now...

Im non EEA came to UK april 2007 got married with EEA natinal on 2nd july 2011 got RC on Feb 2012 been living together since we married, she is working in UK as waitress since may 2014 till now before she was self employed (2010 to 2014) im working as a shop assistant in uk our relation is not going well now we decided for divorce.im gonna apply divorce this week my question is after divorce can i apply for ROR if yes can i submit my 1 year cohabitation proof to HO which is most recent from(may 2014 to may 2015).it would be ok? thanks

imran2006
Newly Registered

Post by imran2006 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:29 am

Hi

PLEASE.......PLEASE.......PLEASE.......PLEASE.........PLEASE..... HELP ME M STRESSED AND CONFUSED

I came to uk as a student 29 sep 2006 done my degree changed to post study work and in the mean while I had a Polish Girlfriend as well i was not marrying at that time but when my hsmp visa refused in 2010 feb but applied for tribunal while my case was in court ...and I got married
so I was leaving UK but my girlfriend really insisted and I got married in sep 2011 and got visa july 2012 til july 2017.

now we have been married since sep 2011 its been 4 years now and the problem is we are having too many problems fighting 20 times in a week now we are at point where we cant live together anymore and applying for divorce in few months we are separated.

In june 2014 I went to my homeland a my mom was not feeling well and too many problems back in my country as well so I was stucked with my family problems and spent 14 months and came back to UK august 2015.

Now the question I am asking am I eligible for indefinite on 10 years route as I am having gap of 1 and a half year.the other question is if not if i apply for divorce am i eligible for permanent residence?

I am too stressed and confused been to solicitor asking for advice but he said you indefinite route is not the right thing ebcause of gap as my hsmp visa was refused but still at that time they gave me a letter of temporary admission and he recommends EEA4 route.

I can leave the details below please guys I need your help I know in this board people are really really experts been searching from laast one year but this is the time please guys I really need help.

came to Uk student: sep 2006
Post study work
Hsmp applied refused in feb 2010 and appeals till 2011

Married EEA sep 2011
Spouce visa granted july 2012 till july 2017
Points to be noted I have all the proofs of work,bills,agreements my wife is self employed and paid the total taxes and me too no worries about work no benefits calimed.

Whats the best option for me if i apply for divorce...i THINK DIVORCE MEANS RETAINED RIGHTS OF RESIDENCE

I just want to apply PR thats it please again help me if any question i can explain I will be waiting for reply

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:51 am

imran2006 wrote:Hi

PLEASE.......PLEASE.......PLEASE.......PLEASE.........PLEASE..... HELP ME M STRESSED AND CONFUSED

I came to uk as a student 29 sep 2006 done my degree changed to post study work and in the mean while I had a Polish Girlfriend as well i was not marrying at that time but when my hsmp visa refused in 2010 feb but applied for tribunal while my case was in court ...and I got married
so I was leaving UK but my girlfriend really insisted and I got married in sep 2011 and got visa july 2012 til july 2017.

now we have been married since sep 2011 its been 4 years now and the problem is we are having too many problems fighting 20 times in a week now we are at point where we cant live together anymore and applying for divorce in few months we are separated.

In june 2014 I went to my homeland a my mom was not feeling well and too many problems back in my country as well so I was stucked with my family problems and spent 14 months and came back to UK august 2015.

Now the question I am asking am I eligible for indefinite on 10 years route as I am having gap of 1 and a half year.the other question is if not if i apply for divorce am i eligible for permanent residence?

I am too stressed and confused been to solicitor asking for advice but he said you indefinite route is not the right thing because of gap as my hsmp visa was refused but still at that time they gave me a letter of temporary admission and he recommends EEA4 route.

I can leave the details below please guys I need your help I know in this board people are really really experts been searching from laast one year but this is the time please guys I really need help.

came to Uk student: sep 2006
Post study work
Hsmp applied refused in feb 2010 and appeals till 2011

Married EEA sep 2011
Spouce visa granted july 2012 till july 2017
Points to be noted I have all the proofs of work,bills,agreements my wife is self employed and paid the total taxes and me too no worries about work no benefits claimed.

Whats the best option for me if i apply for divorce...i THINK DIVORCE MEANS RETAINED RIGHTS OF RESIDENCE

I just want to apply PR thats it please again help me if any question i can explain I will be waiting for reply
Based on your timeline it appears too early for PR yet.

As a non-EEA national and spouse of an EEA national you are still considered a family member even if there is a marital breakdown/separation as long as the EEA national continues to exercise treaty rights in UK.

So for now you continue to have a right of residence in UK until such time as any planned divorce is finalised; (ie a Decree Absolute is obtained).

However, you (as a non-EEA national) will lose the right of residence if the EEA national leaves the UK, unless you qualify for a retention right of residence.

So, If divorced, retained rights of residence appears an appropriate way forwards based on your stated facts.
If can demonstrate 3 years of marriage (to same person) and at least 1 year of married life in UK whilst your spouse (an EEA national) was a qualified person exercising treaty rights in UK then you can apply for RoR.

fyi - a qualified person is one of the following: worker, self-employed, jobseeker, student or self-sufficient person.

That will stabilise your position.
See https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/retain ... -residence

If you remain in UK, when you have been in UK 5 years you might then automatically acquire PR; (that is settled status).

The 5 years qualifying time period would be made up of:
some period of earlier married life in UK as the dependent family member of an EEA national
plus the RoR status (if granted).

When calculating the 5-year period, you will need to investigate the impact of your absence from UK for over 12 months.

After holding settled status (PR) for 12 months you could apply for the privilege of citizenship (assuming that all other requirements for naturalisation) can be met.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

imran2006
Newly Registered

Post by imran2006 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi noajthan
Thanks very much for replying

As I have been to many solicitors they said I dont need to apply for ROR as if u divorce its automatically ROR they are saying retain right of residence means you must have decree absolute.
And they are also saying I am eligible next year sep 2016 for permanent residence.

Now I am having all the documents and yeah she is working paying taxes and I have all the documents from last 4 years as well.

Now the solicitor says you have to tell them why u spend 14 months outside UK its not a big issue .

Please let me know is this right or not? shall i apply for permanent residence in sep 2016 am i eligible and what about 14 months as my mother got ill and I was with my mother to care of her.

Please

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:13 pm

imran2006 wrote:Hi noajthan
Thanks very much for replying

As I have been to many solicitors they said I dont need to apply for ROR as if u divorce its automatically ROR they are saying retain right of residence means you must have decree absolute.
And they are also saying I am eligible next year sep 2016 for permanent residence.

Now I am having all the documents and yeah she is working paying taxes and I have all the documents from last 4 years as well.

Now the solicitor says you have to tell them why u spend 14 months outside UK its not a big issue .

Please let me know is this right or not? shall i apply for permanent residence in sep 2016 am i eligible and what about 14 months as my mother got ill and I was with my mother to care of her.

Please
Well I'm not a solicitor or immigration adviser but something smells fishy to me.

If RoR was automatic there would be no need for HO to handle applications for ROR due to divorce.
And they would not impose conditions such as: at least 3 years of marriage & 1 year married life in UK (etc).

You may be eligible for PR if you can assemble the evidence &, on a divorce, RoR is a major element of that.

If it was me I would not trust my future in UK to the solicitors you say you have spoken to.
Let's see what other members say about your case.

imran2006
Newly Registered

Post by imran2006 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Well I dont know if i apply for ror then i have to wait another 5 years so m not doing thats ofcourse I can prefer die but not gonna live with her and not gonna wait another 5 years thats not possible for me yes I can proof 4 years relation with evidence and got everything.

Please any suitable advice

imran2006
Newly Registered

Post by imran2006 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Why in home office website shows ROR (divorce or annulment) and in PR application form its clearly written if divorce provide decree absolute and proof of 5 years work.

What should can I show for spending 14 months outside UK?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:37 pm

imran2006 wrote:Well I dont know if i apply for ror then i have to wait another 5 years so m not doing thats ofcourse I can prefer die but not gonna live with her and not gonna wait another 5 years thats not possible for me yes I can proof 4 years relation with evidence and got everything.

Please any suitable advice
You have been misinformed somewhere.
A RC card is not a visa, it's a confirmation of rights & status.

If you get a RC for RoR it doesn' t necessarily mean wait 5 more years for PR.

PR will depend on valid time spent as dependent family member of your spouse PLUS proof of RoR status. Your absence may or may not be significant; you probably need good advice on that matter.

When marriage to EEA qualified person (exercising rights) & RoR all adds up to 5 years you will have settled status / PR.
That is one step closer to privilege of citizenship (if that is your goal).

However without confirmation of RoR you may find you have no legal basis to remain in UK.

imran2006
Newly Registered

Post by imran2006 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Now its getting more complicated as I have seen in this forum people with divorce got permanent residency

Where should i go now ?

why my friend got permanent residence if he divorced he didnt applied for ROR kind of thing

I am here on this forum to get a helpful advice

how to get permanent residence after divorce short question?
If I have got decree absolute then what to do
this is my question please