ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of EEA citizen entry to UK for work

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

martinuh
Newly Registered

Spouse of EEA citizen entry to UK for work

Post by martinuh » Fri May 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Dear Members and Experts

I have been employed in Germany for 3 years and currently hold an Article 10 residence card as the spouse of an EEA Citizen. I have been offered a job and a contract for a company in the UK (but they are not willing to sign a sponsor letter), I have accepted and signed the contract, the problem is that my German residence card cannot be used in the UK.

Since my wife is an EEA Citizen, I have been advised to follow these steps:
1. Enter the UK with my wife
2. My wife states that she intends to exercise her treaty rights
3. I show my marriage certificate and also my residence card (which by that time I don't know if it is still valid since I would have moved out of the address the card contains?)
4. Once we have entered she needs to apply as a Job Seeker
5. Once she is registered as a job seeker I can apply for residency.

Question.
a. Are the above steps correct?
b. Can I start working even though I don't have the residence card yet?
c. An alternative to register as a Job seeker is to prove you are self sufficient - Could anyone tell me what are applicable evidence of that self-sufficiency?
d. I have read that while you apply for the residence card they keep your passport - can anyone tell me for how long? My job involves traveling abroad so this would be a serious implication
e. I (and my wife) have previously and legally worked in the UK, We have National Insurance No. (although address no longer valid) and I have also obtained an MSc degree from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. Would this help in any way?

Thanks so much for your comments/suggestions/warnings, I have tried to decipher all the rules at Gov.uk pages but I am still confused

Best Regards,
Martin.

manu_uk
Newly Registered

Re: Spouse of EEA citizen entry to UK for work

Post by manu_uk » Fri May 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi
I was in the same situation, basically your view is correct.

Regarding:
a. Are the above steps correct?
Yes
b. Can I start working even though I don't have the residence card yet?
Yes, you can. In your case your employer seems to be sure that you have the legal right to work. Some others will like you to apply for a Residence Card.

d. I have read that while you apply for the residence card they keep your passport - can anyone tell me for how long? My job involves traveling abroad so this would be a serious implication
Yes they do, but you can ask -as soon as you apply- to get it back. Don't know about times, but at least you'll miss your passport for a month.

e. I (and my wife) have previously and legally worked in the UK, We have National Insurance No. (although address no longer valid) and I have also obtained an MSc degree from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. Would this help in any way?
Don't think so. You have all you need: an EU wife. Nothing else is needed, and nobody needs to require anything else than your marriage certificate.

Check this post and read carefully all links:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 14867.html
The more you know, the better you can defend your rights.
Have a nice day.

vinny

Re: Spouse of EEA citizen entry to UK for work

Post by vinny » Sat May 30, 2015 12:03 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.