ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how much healthcare surcharge

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Biohazard
Newly Registered

how much healthcare surcharge

Post by Biohazard » Thu May 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello,
Would like to know how much it is suppose to cost for the health care surcharge if im applying for settlement fiance visa ? thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: how much healthcare surcharge

Post by CR001 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm

£200 per year
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bg1971

Post by bg1971 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Hello,
My wife has submitted her settlement visa application in Bangladesh yesterday. Total healthcare surcharge paid £600.
Just wondering If this information helpful to you anyway...
Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:05 pm

For a fiance visa which is only valid for 6 months, it will probably only bee £100 surcharge.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Which type applications this applies to? I am a British National, would this apply to my wife (pakistani national) applying for Dependent visa?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:10 pm

sheedatali wrote:Which type applications this applies to? I am a British National, would this apply to my wife (pakistani national) applying for Dependent visa?
Yes. You being a British National makes no difference, its the applicant (your wife) that is not a British National or has settlement status, therefore the health surcharge will apply.

For spouse visa, this will be £600 in addition to the application fee.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Thu May 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Ok thanks that makes sense. Is that per year?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 pm

It is £200 per year so for the first/initial spouse visa which is issued for 33 months, the surcharge is £600.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks guys, when trying to pay for the surcharge, it asks you which Visa centre you are making your application. In our case it will be Valletta, Malta. This not listed in the list available in dropdown. I am wondering if that is a bug, because the visa centre is listed when you look for it on https://www.gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre page. Anyone advice on this?

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 am

CR001 wrote:For a fiance visa which is only valid for 6 months, it will probably only bee £100 surcharge.
As the fiance visa is for 6 months or less, won't they have to by their own health insurance to cover any NHS treatment as others with visas of 6 months or less have to do? Or chance it and be billed at 150% of the NHS costs if they need treatment or medication?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:16 am

Just did the calculation and it does not feature fiance visa in the drop down after settlement. It appears that it might not be payable for Fiance visa but will be payable when extension on FLR(M) is made.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri May 29, 2015 2:53 pm

CR001 wrote:Just did the calculation and it does not feature fiance visa in the drop down after settlement. It appears that it might not be payable for Fiance visa but will be payable when extension on FLR(M) is made.
UK did say that visas of 6 months or less don't pay the surcharge. Those on visas with no IHS number, pay. They either need to arrange their own health insurance or be billed. UK plan to bill those without insurance at 150% of the NHS costs.

Only those with visa of 6 months of over get free NHS now. Some of these will pay the IHS as a contribution towards the NHS and others are exempt from paying and their IHS bill will show as £0.00. All those with a visa of more than 6 months, even those who are exempt from being billed, will still need to generate their own IHS number to be able to use the NHS for free. They present their BRP when they want to use the NHS for free.
Last edited by Petaltop on Fri May 29, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sheedatali

Post by sheedatali » Fri May 29, 2015 3:02 pm

So what happens when someone who comes to UK and start to work on a VISA issues for longer than 6 months? They would pay NI and Tax for their job, do they get this refunded to them?

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 pm

sheedatali wrote:So what happens when someone who comes to UK and start to work on a VISA issues for longer than 6 months? They would pay NI and Tax for their job, do they get this refunded to them?
No, they contribute before they arrive and they are not banned from having a visa if they have existing medical needs, as many other countries do to avoid a foreign national being a burden to their national health service.

Still very generous of the British, but not as generous as they were before with their national health service.

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Fri May 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi,

Home Office is issuing visa initially for 33 months which is 3 months less in 3 years. Do we get refund on this?. I have 2 dependents so refundwill be helpful after Home Office robbing us from left right & center?
Nothing is permanent whatever you have enjoy it :-)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 pm

faislondon wrote:Hi,

Home Office is issuing visa initially for 33 months which is 3 months less in 3 years. Do we get refund on this?. I have 2 dependents so refundwill be helpful after Home Office robbing us from left right & center?
No - u pay £200 a year or part of a year, and why is it robbing, it's World Class Health Care for a fraction of the price, try another country, it's a lot more cost for a lot less care.

Everyone wins...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kosymodo
United Kingdom

Post by kosymodo » Fri May 29, 2015 8:37 pm

CR001 wrote:For a fiance visa which is only valid for 6 months, it will probably only bee £100 surcharge.
Currently applying for financee visa, and it told me we have to pay £600! Can anyone confirm?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:48 pm

kosymodo wrote:
Currently applying for financee visa, and it told me we have to pay £600! Can anyone confirm?
Are you sure you haven't selected spouse visa. There should be no charge for fiance visa.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 pm

WR1 wrote:
kosymodo wrote:
Are you sure you haven't selected spouse visa. There should be no charge for fiance visa.
I did the calculation and there is no option to select 'Fiance' under the settlement route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 pm

I've just found the same. Wife, husband, or unmarried partner but no 'fiance' option :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:00 pm

The IHS charge is not applicable to Fiance visa probably why it is not showing there. As the fiance visa is a six month period, it will be exempt from the IHS charge as the IHS is applicable for periods of more than six months and also exempt from having a IHS Reference number.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 am

WR1 wrote:The IHS charge is not applicable to Fiance visa probably why it is not showing there. As the fiance visa is a six month period, it will be exempt from the IHS charge as the IHS is applicable for periods of more than six months and also exempt from having a IHS Reference number.
Fiances cannot use the NHS for free. It's quite clear. Fiance visa is only for 6 months. Therefore fiances don't pay the IHS BUT instead they need to buy full health insurance as they can not use the NHS for free

From the UK government site....

"You don’t have to pay the healthcare surcharge if you’re applying from outside the UK for a visitor visa or any visa that will only last for 6 months or less.

You don’t need to use healthcare surcharge service or get an IHS reference number for your visa application. Instead, you’ll have to pay for any healthcare you get through the NHS at the point you use it."

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview

Lose the "NHS is free" idea and realise it is the national helath service for the British, not whole world.

Biohazard
Newly Registered

Post by Biohazard » Sat May 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Same for me i have applied last month and i did not see Fiance option. i called UKVisa and the guy there told me to select : settlement, settlement and marriage. i paid the visa fee and for the health surcharge i paid about 600£. I hope its ok for a fiance visa. and if i paid too much are they going to refund the months i didnt need to pay ?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:24 am

Petaltop wrote:
WR1 wrote:The IHS charge is not applicable to Fiance visa probably why it is not showing there. As the fiance visa is a six month period, it will be exempt from the IHS charge as the IHS is applicable for periods of more than six months and also exempt from having a IHS Reference number.
Fiances cannot use the NHS for free. It's quite clear. Fiance visa is only for 6 months. Therefore fiances don't pay the IHS BUT instead they need to buy full health insurance as they can not use the NHS for free

From the UK government site....

"You don’t have to pay the healthcare surcharge if you’re applying from outside the UK for a visitor visa or any visa that will only last for 6 months or less.

You don’t need to use healthcare surcharge service or get an IHS reference number for your visa application. Instead, you’ll have to pay for any healthcare you get through the NHS at the point you use it."

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview

Lose the "NHS is free" idea and realise it is the national helath service for the British, not whole world.
No one stated the NHS will be free, the point of the post is IHS number is not needed for fiance visa and the NHS not being free for fiance is an entirely different subject. Same goes for any other visa category where IHS does not apply.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun May 31, 2015 10:42 am

WR1 wrote: No one stated the NHS will be free, the point of the post is IHS number is not needed for fiance visa and the NHS not being free for fiance is an entirely different subject. Same goes for any other visa category where IHS does not apply.
I put that people wouldn't get free use of the NHS in case some think that if they are exempt from paying the IHS because their visa is 6 months or less, that this exemption means they get free NHS. It doesn't. The UK used to give free NHS for a fiance visa, but since 6 April 2015 they stopped doing that. NHS bills over £1,000 must be paid before the fiance can have a spouse visa.

Too many posts from people who heard "the NHS is free" and then found it was wasn't free for all. Best to warn people to buy insurance before they run up medical bills.