ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

215HAN

Apply for Citizenship

Post by 215HAN » Sun May 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi

Need some help as I am somewhat confused.

I am applying for my wife to become a British Citizenship and is in the process of sitting the Life in the UK Test but would like to know whether the ESOL Entry Level 2 in Speaking and Listening completed in 2011 is valid for the British Citizenship application.

I know it won't be in November due to changes but is this valid now and ok to submit with application as soon as.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Is the test provider where you did your test on the Transitional English Test Providers (Click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

215HAN

Post by 215HAN » Sun May 31, 2015 6:28 pm

Yes, it is on the ofqual register.

I have checked this but wanted to make sure before submitting application.

Thanks

215HAN

Post by 215HAN » Sun May 31, 2015 6:41 pm

Also just to add, the gov website states the following:

3. Approved English language qualifications
You can prove your knowledge of English by having an English level B1, B2, C1 or C2 level qualification that’s one of the following:

an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
an ESOL qualification at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and taken in Scotland
on one of the Home Office’s lists of recognised English tests and qualifications - look at the newer list if you’re applying on or after 6 April 2015

This to me indicates it is valid but still have a slight doubt!

215HAN

Post by 215HAN » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:06 am

I have just checked the certificate and this reads as follows:

Ascentis Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 2)

Is this valid?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:33 pm

215HAN wrote:I have just checked the certificate and this reads as follows:

Ascentis Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 2)

Is this valid?
Yes. Please search for ESOL Skills for Life Entry 2 in this link.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

215HAN

Post by 215HAN » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Yes, I have checked this and it does show ESOL Entry 2.

However, it does not mention the awarding body although the test done is on the ofqual register.

should i need to worry or not and go ahead with citizenship application?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:14 pm

215HAN wrote:Yes, I have checked this and it does show ESOL Entry 2.

However, it does not mention the awarding body although the test done is on the ofqual register.

should i need to worry or not and go ahead with citizenship application?
Interesting. Although Ascentis is registered on ofqual. But this report tells it didnt comply with Cambridge English standards in 2011 (see page 4).
So personally I'd play it safe and go get new English certification from a cheaper alternative (e.g. Trinity etc) which are now mentioned on Home Office's new link for English requirements. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:01 pm

215HAN wrote:Also just to add, the gov website states the following:

3. Approved English language qualifications
You can prove your knowledge of English by having an English level B1, B2, C1 or C2 level qualification that’s one of the following:

an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
an ESOL qualification at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and taken in Scotland
on one of the Home Office’s lists of recognised English tests and qualifications - look at the newer list if you’re applying on or after 6 April 2015

This to me indicates it is valid but still have a slight doubt!
Sorry to say Ascentis Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (Speaking and Listening) (Entry 2) is at level A2 in the CEFR grading system. (This is below level B1).

The Gov UK website specifies the requirement for UK citizenship as a language qualification at least at English level B1 (CEFR).

As per the first option on the list above that can be met by an ESOL Speaking & Listening certificate at Entry 3 (or higher).

Ascentis is not on the Home Office's recognised qualifications transitional list.

So it seems a new test will be required (one from the latest list of approved secure English test providers).
Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.