ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife's Eligibility for Citizenship - Currently on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ani_UK
Newly Registered

Wife's Eligibility for Citizenship - Currently on ILR

Post by Ani_UK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi,

Both me and my wife have ILR since June 2014 and we are planning to apply for citizenship this month. I have a specific question on my wife's eligibility for citizenship as I have seen some posts saying she would need to apply as wife of British Citizen i.e. I can apply first and when I am British Citizen, she can apply on that basis.

My wife's details - She has been in the UK since September 2007 but her stay until Jan 2012 was not considered for ILR. She qualified for ILR as Tier 1 General Dependent.

ILR - June 2014 - present
Tier 1 General Dependent - Jan 2012 - June 2014
Post Study Work - Jan 2010 - Jan 2012
Student Visa - September 2007 - Jan 2010

My details

ILR - June 2014 - present
Tier 1 General - June 2009 - June 2014 (5 Years)
Fresh Talent Scheme - Dec 2007 - June 2009
Student Visa - August 2006 - Dec 2007

My understanding is as she has been offered ILR, she can apply on her own. I would really appreciate if someone could clarify whether or not she is eligible to apply for citizenship on her own, like I am.

Regards,
Ani_UK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Wife's Eligibility for Citizenship - Currently on ILR

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Any legal residence during the qualifying 5 years of residence counts for citizenship. So based on what you have listed, she is eligible to apply if she meets the standard requirements based on 5 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ani_UK
Newly Registered

Post by Ani_UK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks CR001,

So her stay on Student and Post Study Work visas counts towards 5 years residence, right? I am a little unclear on this as these two visas are not considered for 5 years qualifying period for ILR.

Regards,
Ani_UK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 pm

ILR and citizenship are different rules (immigration vs nationality). All legal stay counts towards the qualifying period for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ani_UK
Newly Registered

Post by Ani_UK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:32 pm

Thanks. It's clear now.

Regards,
Ani_UK