ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croydon appointment experience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nightstar
Newly Registered

Post by nightstar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Hello Tamzin27,

In your previous post, you mentioned "Fortunately, I had the letter that comes with your Work Permit."

I assume the letter is your LTR approval letter. Do they have the same date?

fakira
- thin ice -

Post by fakira » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:56 pm

We got there half an hour early, but were asked, by a very arrogant security guard, to queue up outside.
i come from goa india where we are routinely polite. i was therefore very shocked at the very rude behaviour of the guards
i was asked to put my money in the tray, i was not familiar with the procedure and asked for a receipt
guard 141 told me that i would hsve to apologise ,to which i refused
he then refused me permission
i felt that indimidation by security guards is a delibrate part of home office strategy given the fact that most people would cow down to gain entrance
what is really bad is that this seems routine on part of the security guards

Animah
Newly Registered

Help

Post by Animah » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:59 am

I have an appointment on the 11th October for ILR application. Wondered wether to include a my child in the application as a dependant. Note that I am not married to the mother and the mother is in the Country illegally.
Any advice.

Prince1

Post by Prince1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:33 pm

If I were you, I will apply and get ILR first, then register the child as a British citizen, then get the wife to apply from outside the UK and then enter on a spouse visa.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:26 am

impossible to get appointment (with dependents)!! i'm trying for this last couple of days

any tips?

Prince1

Post by Prince1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:40 pm

Call them around 8:58am Mon-Fri and you will likely be through around 9am making you the first on the queue... you will likely get an appointment...will be around 1month from the date of the call (at the moment).

But really, it is pointless; unless you have to go there it is better to post it!!...They seems to sort it within 2 weeks unless there is a major problem with the application.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Animah, your child, a couple of questions :-
  1. How old is your child? And if the answer to that is .... 1 .... in addition, what month was the child born in?
  2. Are you named as the father on the child's birth certificate?
John

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:48 pm

John wrote:Animah, your child, a couple of questions :-
  1. How old is your child? And if the answer to that is .... 1 .... in addition, what month was the child born in?
  2. Are you named as the father on the child's birth certificate?
The answer to your questions are:

1. Baby is 5 months old
2. Yes he's named on the BC

Look at this thread and you would have the full picture:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1902
Praise The Lord!!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25 pm

In which case, as soon as you have your ILR, you will be entitled to apply on form MN1 for your son to be Registered as a British Citizen.

The law changed on 01.07.06 and now the father who is child born on or after 01.07.06, the father unmarried to the mother, is entitled to take account of both parents and not just the mother.

So your ILR will justify the application on form MN1.
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:44 pm

John wrote:In which case, as soon as you have your ILR, you will be entitled to apply on form MN1 for your son to be Registered as a British Citizen.

The law changed on 01.07.06 and now the father who is child born on or after 01.07.06, the father unmarried to the mother, is entitled to take account of both parents and not just the mother.

So your ILR will justify the application on form MN1.
Just to clarify here, in this situation child would be eligible to be registered as British whether born before or after 1 July 2006.

The only difference is the section of the British Nationality Act - s1(3) if born on or after 1 July 2006, s3(1) otherwise. Age limit of 18 in both cases.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 am

JAJ, is it right that under one of those sections the Registration as British is a right, whereas under the other section it is a discretion (albeit a discretion that is exercised positively as long as certain conditions are met).
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:48 pm

John wrote:JAJ, is it right that under one of those sections the Registration as British is a right, whereas under the other section it is a discretion (albeit a discretion that is exercised positively as long as certain conditions are met).
Theoretically yes. However in practice there is no real difference as the policy underlying section 3(1) registration mirrors the section 1(3) requirements.

In other words, discretion must be exercised along policy lines and is not subject to the whim of the case officer dealing with the application.

The other largely theoretical difference is that s1(3) registration unambiguously confers British citizenship otherwise than by descent. The wording of the law is not so clear cut with section 3(1) [in other words, it doesn't precisely say in all cases whether s3(1) registration gives British citizenship by descent or otherwise]

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:06 am

tried from 8:55 am and got the line thru' exactly 8:59, but fully booked for the date 22 Oct 07

[quote="Prince1"]Call them around 8:58am Mon-Fri and you will likely be through around 9am making you the first on the queue... you will likely get an appointment...will be around 1month from the date of the call (at the moment).
[/quote]

Animah
Newly Registered

Help

Post by Animah » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Dear all,

By Gods grace I was grante ILR yesterday. t was really a smooth process. Now can someone please advise on where to get MN1 form as well as instructions on how to fill the form.

Thanks for all who advised me.

God bless you all.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Good news!

Form MN1? Go to this BIA webpage.
John

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:37 pm

timefactor wrote:tried from 8:55 am and got the line thru' exactly 8:59, but fully booked for the date 22 Oct 07
Prince1 wrote:Call them around 8:58am Mon-Fri and you will likely be through around 9am making you the first on the queue... you will likely get an appointment...will be around 1month from the date of the call (at the moment).
see my post here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

good luck.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 am

thanks nonthing. i read your thread while ago tried exactly the same thing you suggested. It was success in getting thru for an appointment.

wish me goodluck for ILR @ croydon on 23 OCT 07

cheers

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:30 pm

all the very best, timefactor.

told you, mondays are always the most difficult, then it's getting easier through the week. mine was also on a tuesday.

for a straight forward case, there's nothing to worry about. just get all the stuff ready, then go to collect your ILR.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:05 pm

cheers mate.

I hope everything should be ok, i've every single bills / payslips / WPs / bank statements etc etc for last 5 years

vasa
Newly Registered

Post by vasa » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:11 am

Hi all, just joined after reading all the stuff under this useful thread. I'm in the middle of preparing myself for ILR which should be sorted in person at Croydon PEO around 19th of November.

The only problem I have is with stamps in my passport. I've recalled successfully my absence dates by looking into my holiday bookings, company emails etc. However, when looked into the passport one stamp was missing while some other were not readable at all. Just wondering how will HO people check my absence days if they can't even see what's on the passport in some cases? Spoke today to one of HO guys, she told me not to worry...

Maybe I should ask my employer to write me a support letter for problematic dates to confirm periods when I was on holiday and when I was in the office. What do you guys think?

Vasa

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:03 pm

It is up to you to prove the dates of absence, so get the letter if you can.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Just got back from Lunar house with a new ILR sticker in my passport!

thanks for the wealth of info in this board (and other members - Tnavon/TVT - i owe you).

All staff were very friendly & helpful thru'out.

After airport style security check, in the reception they have verified my application, supporting documents & passports (10 min max.). I guess they did logged my interview in their system and advised to go to first floor for paying the fees.

Paid by my egg card (£10 cashback lol), got the receipt (5 min).

Security guys shown me the way to second floor, there we waited for 40 min to call our token number. Luckily i got a very nice guy in the counter. He started friendly talks with my little daughter, I waited for him to ask the documents. He just asked me the following:-

a. 3 months payslips
b. 3 months bank statements
c. employer letter
d. all workpermits
e. passports

He keyed in something in his terminal for 5 min, another couple of minutes to take photocopies and returned my original documents. He asked us to wait for 15 min somewhere in his vicinity (in case if he need some extra info he can call us) and come back and collect passport in 2 hours.

No questions asked on dependents (wife and daughter) or any documents to estabilish relation.

But FYI i had the following to address any questions:-

a. 5 year bank statements
b. 5 year payslips
c. 5 year council tax statements
d. Title deeds of free hold property
e. 5 year BT / Thames water bill
f. all workpermit documents [2 companies, 1 company name change]
g. Wife's self employment proof
h. documents from school showing my daughter is doing her education in UK

Relief! now all i need a paper shredder :D

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:55 am

Well done! Sounds as though you were very organised and had a good experience. It's reassuring to know that sometimes ILR isn't a nightmare!

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:23 am

Just got back from Lunar house with a new ILR sticker in my passport!

thanks for the wealth of info in this board (and other members - Tnavon/TVT - i owe you).

All staff were very friendly & helpful thru'out.

After airport style security check, in the reception they have verified my application, supporting documents & passports (10 min max.). I guess they did logged my interview in their system and advised to go to first floor for paying the fees.

Paid by my egg card (£10 cashback lol), got the receipt (5 min).

Security guys shown me the way to second floor, there we waited for 40 min to call our token number. Luckily i got a very nice guy in the counter. He started friendly talks with my little daughter, I waited for him to ask the documents. He just asked me the following:-

a. 3 months payslips
b. 3 months bank statements
c. employer letter
d. all workpermits
e. passports

He keyed in something in his terminal for 5 min, another couple of minutes to take photocopies and returned my original documents. He asked us to wait for 15 min somewhere in his vicinity (in case if he need some extra info he can call us) and come back and collect passport in 2 hours.

No questions asked on dependents (wife and daughter) or any documents to estabilish relation.

But FYI i had the following to address any questions:-

a. 5 year bank statements
b. 5 year payslips
c. 5 year council tax statements
d. Title deeds of free hold property
e. 5 year BT / Thames water bill
f. all workpermit documents [2 companies, 1 company name change]
g. Wife's self employment proof
h. documents from school showing my daughter is doing her education in UK

Relief! now all i need a paper shredder :D

I am glad it did work out for you, many congratulations

All the best

hsmpwpilr

Post by hsmpwpilr » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:12 pm

I went for ILR last week. I applied in HSMP (2 years) + WP (3 years) category.

The caseworker was friendly and patient. She checked the salary statements and bank statements for past one year only (HSMP).

She checked the employment letters to ensure continuous employment during WP, didn't ask for the salary slips/bank statements for WP duration.

I had switched my employment during my HSMP and there was a bit confusion because one of the employment letter didn't clearly mention the dates. The CW asked for the clarification regarding the employment switch.

I'd advise everybody (except the ones with complicated applications) to go in person instead of applying by post as it gives you better chance to represent yourself. It allows you to explain your situation properly.

Thank you everybody for sharing your experiences. They proved very helpful to me.
Last edited by hsmpwpilr on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.