ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship: under 18 and Some Questions.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship: under 18 and Some Questions.

Post by mantoszczak » Tue May 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Okay. Final post before application assuming I do not encounter more problems. Firstly, how do I go about with the biometric enrollment? Where should I go to get it done, what questions should I ask to ask for it and how much does it cost? What do I do with it after that? Secondly, my most local NCS costs £35 which is quite cheap to be honest, but if something is wrong on the form and must be changed do I need to pay again? Or is the fee just for sending the form out?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Tue May 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Do I even need it done? Does it apply to EEA Nationals? **

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Firstly, how do I go about with the biometric enrollment? Where should I go to get it done, what questions should I ask to ask for it and how much does it cost? What do I do with it after that?
Once you have submitted your application, Home Office will write to you to do your biometric enrollment. You will need to go to the Post Office with the letter which has a barcode on, to have this done. There is a charge, it is about £19 to do biometrics.
All applicants for citizenship have to have their biometrics done.

Secondly, my most local NCS costs £35 which is quite cheap to be honest, but if something is wrong on the form and must be changed do I need to pay again? Or is the fee just for sending the form out? The fee is to check, photocopy and post your application. If they cannot do it on the day due to some error, you will likely have to book and pay again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Wed May 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks!

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Thu May 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Any other child born to British or non-British parents.
It is not possible to cover all circumstances under which the Home Secretary might
exercise discretion in circumstances not already described in this guide. However,
in considering any application not specifically covered above consideration will be
given to
The child’s connections with the UK – we would expect the child to be free
of any restrictions on his or her stay in the UK
Where the child’s future is likely to lie
The parents’ views
The parents’ nationality and immigration status – we expect either both parents
to be British citizens or one parent a British citizen and the other parent settled
in the UK.
Whether the child is of good character
The length of time the child has lived in the UK – we expect at least 2 years
residence (particularly if the child is over the age of 13)
Any compelling circumstances such as a job offer or other opportunity which
requires British citizenship.
This area mentions that they expect one or both parents to be British Citizens, I'd be applying under this category of MN1 however neither parents are British Citizens, what should I do?

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Also, what should I put for the date I was granted ILR if I'm an EEA National?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 am

gumfree7 wrote:Personally I'd apply using EEA(PR) form (used to be the EEA4 Form) if you want to certify that you're already a permanent resident here. Do it as an additional descended of one of your parents, this will cost extra but will be a lot less confusing. If you apply alone you will still have to prove your link to an EEA National and verify that you were a dependent on that person, so you won't have to provide an EHIC issued outside of the UK. Plus you can't apply alone as you're still not an adult so you will have to use a parent.
Sensible advice.
mantoszczak wrote:This area mentions that they expect one or both parents to be British Citizens, I'd be applying under this category of MN1 however neither parents are British Citizens, what should I do?
Be careful. If you ignore and don't meet their expectations, then a refusal is likely.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Fri May 22, 2015 7:25 am

So its unlikely that I'll get citizenship if neither parent is or is applying for citizenship?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 23, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm guessing that you would have to strongly argue why they should disregard their expectations.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Sat May 23, 2015 1:01 pm

I see. Well, I have my reasons and hopefully things will turn out okay. A previous poster mentioned to me that their daughter got citizenship without PR and with both parents not even being from the EU and god knows that must have took time, and stress but hopefully I'll be that lucky too. Thanks for your help.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:06 pm

mantoszczak wrote:So its unlikely that I'll get citizenship if neither parent is or is applying for citizenship?
Your application will be discretionary under section 3(1) of the Nationality act.

According to the guidance, an older teenager who has spent most of their life in UK might be registered if their future is shown to be in the UK (even if the parents are not naturalising).
See section 9.17 of the document below, (in particular 9.17.11)

As suggested earlier, evidence of your future intentions, your study & career plans could be important.
Make it clear what % of your life you have lived here in UK.
Showing your contribution & involvement in English society might help too; (for example, any charity work, social or community or voluntary work; scouts or cadets or sporting activity etc).

You might also be registered if you have to be British to follow a certain career path;
(you would have to provide proof of this - not just express an vague intention to, for example, "join the military or the police").
See section 9.15 of document below.

Ref:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 150402.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat May 23, 2015 2:26 pm

mantoszczak wrote:I see. Well, I have my reasons and hopefully things will turn out okay. A previous poster mentioned to me that their daughter got citizenship without PR and with both parents not even being from the EU and god knows that must have took time, and stress but hopefully I'll be that lucky too. Thanks for your help.
If referring to my case, my step-daughter was registered at the discretion of the HO but my wife had applied for naturalisation at the same time (which obviously helped her case).

At least one of your parents applying at the same time would help your case by turning it into a clear-cut family application.

LITUK test & ESOL certificate is only required from the adult applicant, not from the child applicant.
The LITUK test is not too bad, just a lot of rote-learning;
the English speaking/listening requirements can be met by a short evening course, 3 months or so, (if some help is required).

Otherwise, for all discretionary cases (as yours is at the moment) the guidance says:
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER that the guidance in this Chapter does not amount to hard and fast rules. It will enable the majority of cases to be dealt with, but because the law gives complete discretion each case must be considered on its merits. All the relevant factors must be taken into account, together with any representations made to us.

If we do not, we are open to criticism for not exercising our discretion reasonably.

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Sat May 23, 2015 3:14 pm

noajthan wrote:
mantoszczak wrote:I see. Well, I have my reasons and hopefully things will turn out okay. A previous poster mentioned to me that their daughter got citizenship without PR and with both parents not even being from the EU and god knows that must have took time, and stress but hopefully I'll be that lucky too. Thanks for your help.
If referring to my case, my step-daughter was registered at the discretion of the HO but my wife had applied for naturalisation at the same time (which obviously helped her case).

At least one of your parents applying at the same time would help your case by turning it into a clear-cut family application.

LITUK test & ESOL certificate is only required from the adult applicant, not from the child applicant.
The LITUK test is not too bad, just a lot of rote-learning;
the English speaking/listening requirements can be met by a short evening course, 3 months or so, (if some help is required).

Otherwise, for all discretionary cases (as yours is at the moment) the guidance says:
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER that the guidance in this Chapter does not amount to hard and fast rules. It will enable the majority of cases to be dealt with, but because the law gives complete discretion each case must be considered on its merits. All the relevant factors must be taken into account, together with any representations made to us.

If we do not, we are open to criticism for not exercising our discretion reasonably.
Ah, I see but I don't really know what the quote means. Could you dumb it down for me? This whole affair is becoming more confusing by the second :(

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat May 23, 2015 6:04 pm

mantoszczak wrote:Ah, I see but I don't really know what the quote means. Could you dumb it down for me? This whole affair is becoming more confusing by the second :(
It is taken from one of the guidance documents used by the officials.

It just restates that an application for Registration under 3(1) of the Nationality act is discretionary.
It means noone has an automatic right to UK citizenship if applying via this route.
And, when deciding on a case, the officials are reminded to consider each application fairly, using all the facts and information that is submitted.

So, if you are applying as an individual, that's why I suggest you gather all the supporting evidence you can to show:
1) you are involved in UK life now;
2) that your future life will also be in the UK.

For example, you could include school/college references, and any testimonials you may have (or can get) from teachers/tutors or employers.

Also include any supporting letter from professional people or local community leaders from any organisation you may be involved with. If you do voluntary work include details of that.

If you've taken part in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme or the NCS Summer Challenge programme don't forget to add details of all that too.

Finally, future study or training plans and career ambitions can all add up to give a picture of who you are & what you can offer the country.

gumfree7

Post by gumfree7 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:07 pm

I think you are making your case too complicated for yourself. I'd say wait until you are 18 and considered a fully fledged adult and then do a Life in the UK test + take an English exam at B1 and then apply through naturalisation. Get a PR card for the sake of it. Then submit your parents' P60's for the last six years, a birth certificate/council tax documents showing your link to them and send off your application.

From what I understand you would still need to have your parents applying for you since you are still under 18 and a minor and provide a lot more than just going through a straightforward adult or a family naturalisation application. And since you're still a minor HO can't really consider you fully, because, at the end of the day you're still a minor. And minors can't really make "decisions" that adults can, even if their parents consent to you making an individual application for naturalisation as a minor.

In honest opinion, I don't see your rush to wanting to become naturalised right here and now - you've been here for 9 years, your parents have been working, thus exercising treaty rights and thus are considered to be "permanent residents" and so are you. You have the same rights as everyone else, and even with new stricter controls on immigration you still won't lose any of your rights or your resident status.

That's why I suggest waiting until you are 18 or applying as a family. It will make your life a lot easier than going through the route you'd like to take right now. But hey, you can still try and see what happens. Nobody here can tell you for sure whether they'd reject you or accept your application since it's quite unique.

You can read through this guide which gives you a more indepth look (if it hasen't been posted here already): https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Okay, well I'm filling in the form now but I have some questions here too. Firstly what should I put for immigrant reference number, and date ILR was granted if I'm an EEA national? Do I leave it blank and put the date I arrived, or leave both blank? Also, what section do I need to put down as my application section?

EEA immigrant with PR qualifications with neither parent british or applying for british citizenship (both settled due to EEA, can prove with payslips and other housing/car documents and identifications)

-Thanks a lot for your help.

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Post by mantoszczak » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Also, do I write out the section or just label it? (So, Section #, or "" Section)

mantoszczak
Newly Registered

Couple of questions on MN1 that aren't explained in guide.

Post by mantoszczak » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi. Applying for British citizenship under MN1 soon. I'm from Poland, so I have EEA rights and the guide doesn't seem to explain some fundamental questions in S1 very well. Anyway, if anyone would be so kind as to tell me;

What is an 'Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference number.' and do I have one if I'm from an EEA country? If not do I leave it blank?

What do I put in the 'date granted ILR' boxes. Would that be the day we came to the UK under EEA? Or do I have to separately apply for some other ILR before I apply for UK citizenship?

And that is it, everything else is filled in except for refs. which I'll get onto after my half-term break. All help is appreciated!!

Also; My mum got these Resident Cards that say I have the right to apply for British Citizenship, if that's of any value, but It's been quite a few years (I have lived here for almost 10 years.)