ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Australians to Denmark

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gumnut
Newly Registered

Australians to Denmark

Post by gumnut » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 am

Hi,

Sorry my first post is a question rather than an answer to someone else's dilemma.

My partner (gay relationship) and I are both Australian citizens by birth and currently reside Australia.

We decided to go to DK to have a bit of a change in our lives. My partner is a scientist and I'm in marketing. He is on what they call the 'Positive List', which enables him to get a visa pretty much immediately once he gets a job and supposedly I would too. This is one of the factors for choosing that country.

Of course, as life tends to go, I got a job first, have the contract in my hot, rather nervous hands, and I'm about to fill in the application. According to the application form of my particular visa my 'spouse or cohabiting partner' is not entitled to work in Denmark.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Should I include him on my application anyway? I ask this because as he is a highly-educated person and fits Denmark's Positive List criteria they just might give him a working visa? Or is that just wishful thinking? Currently he can't leave his work here for a couple of months anyway and the plan is I will go over first because I'm due to start in a month or so.

2. I notice on the bottom of the application, there is considerable space to write "'Applicant Comments' [if any]". What sort of things would be prudent/good to write here?

Thank you in advance for any help!!

W

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:53 am

Why Denmark? You should understand that the pathway to Danish citizenship is very difficult and would likely mean you would have to renounce your Australian citizenship.

Why not consider Sweden instead? The waiting time for citizenship is shorter than Denmark, and they allow dual citizenship. And if you get Swedish passports, you can move to Denmark anyway if you like.

gumnut
Newly Registered

Post by gumnut » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:16 am

JAJ wrote:Why Denmark? You should understand that the pathway to Danish citizenship is very difficult and would likely mean you would have to renounce your Australian citizenship.

Why not consider Sweden instead? The waiting time for citizenship is shorter than Denmark, and they allow dual citizenship. And if you get Swedish passports, you can move to Denmark anyway if you like.
=======

Hi JAJ,

Good point! Now that you bring it up, we actually considered Sweden too and were quite open to both. We settled on DK because they are actively recruiting scientists and have the special visa, including tax advantages, whereas Sweden did not.

Now that I have the job - and it sounds very interesting and something I should really enjoy - it seems to be DK for the moment.

W

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Sweden and Denmark are neighbours and have a few special agreements between them. I know that many Danish people lives in Sweden and works in Denmark. I think it’s because the housing is cheaper in Sweden and if I understand it correctly it even gives some kind of taxing advantage (not sure how that works). So maybe you could live in Sweden taking advantage of the more relaxed Swedish immigration system while working in Denmark. It’s just a 20min train journey over the bridge from central Malmo, Sweden’s third largest city to central Copenhagen. Not sure if this kind of arrangements is open for immigrants but it might be worth contacting the “Migrationsverketâ€