ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English certificates for citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lagata
Newly Registered

English certificates for citizenship application

Post by lagata » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi all

My husband is hoping to send off his application for citizenship in a few weeks. He has done the required English certificates but completes the Life in the UK test after October 2013. It says on the form that if he's done the test after this date he doesn't have to provide English language certificates but in the notes at the end about supporting documents it says everybody has to and doesn't mention the date. Does he need to send in the certificates or not? Also does he need to send in the actual residency card that he got when he got Indefinite leave to remain or should he just send the letter?

Thanks! It's so complicated. We were hoping to go through the checking service but they only do certain days and my husband hasn't got any holidays left to take from work...

noajthan

Re: English certificates for citizenship application

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 am

lagata wrote:Hi all

My husband is hoping to send off his application for citizenship in a few weeks. He has done the required English certificates but completes the Life in the UK test after October 2013. It says on the form that if he's done the test after this date he doesn't have to provide English language certificates but in the notes at the end about supporting documents it says everybody has to and doesn't mention the date. Does he need to send in the certificates or not? Also does he need to send in the actual residency card that he got when he got Indefinite leave to remain or should he just send the letter?

Thanks! It's so complicated. We were hoping to go through the checking service but they only do certain days and my husband hasn't got any holidays left to take from work...
Lagata,
As well as ticking the boxes, supporting documents are still required as it says in section 2 at the end of the form.
SECTION 2 Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK: required for all applicants:

Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either

Certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification. If you took a test on or after 6 April 2015 write the number of your qualification at section 1.25 on page 7; or

Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom ...
The guide notes will have more on this too.

As a general rule better safe than sorry so try to provide as much supporting evidence as you can;
try to make sure there are no loose ends, no missing docs, no gaps in timelines (etc).

If you can find the time NCS is also worthwhile as you get to keep your original documents.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ukswus

Re: English certificates for citizenship application

Post by ukswus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:52 am

lagata wrote:Hi all

Passing the LTUK test after October 2013 has nothing to do with sending English language certificates. Perhaps you meant that he obtained his ILR after October 2013? Still, even in this case I'd play it safe and bring the English test certificate with me.