ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 Year LR with Placement Year abroad

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

soflsys
Newly Registered

10 Year LR with Placement Year abroad

Post by soflsys » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Hello all,

I have been studying and working in the UK since 2001 but spent more than 6 months in France between 2006-2007 as part of my placement year. It is still part of my UK degree, officially approved by the same university, and my status was still a student of this degree throughout the whole time (i.e. not a gap year). I did same-day-travel back for a couple of times to 'break it off' but doubt if that helps.

Spoke to an OISC immigration advisor and he thinks this placement period will not break my continuous residence, but I have read on the forum which says the opposite. Could some expert advise on this matter? Or if anyone has applied with a similar situation please kindly share your experience :wink:

This is the only thing holding me back from applying through this route...was gonna apply through T2 but had the worst luck and company went into insolvency just after I was eligible :cry:

Many thanks in advance!

quantum1
Member of Standing

Re: 10 Year LR with Placement Year abroad

Post by quantum1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:22 pm

I don't think it will be an issue. You should know that there is a lot of discretion when it comes to 10yr long residence. There is every reason to expect discretion to be exercised in your favour on this issue. It is also a situation which comes under exceptional circumstances. You will be fine!
The author of this post is not an immigration expert. Any statements made are commentary personal opinions and should not be construed as advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:34 pm

What are your total absences in the 10 years, excluding date of departure and date of arrival?

There have been many refusals due to absence of more than 180 days for people applying on long residence as it is seen as breaking continuity.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

soflsys
Newly Registered

Post by soflsys » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:19 pm

thanks for the reply guys :wink:

Just went to gather all my travel history and calculate my absences properly (and got very annoyed with unreadable blurry stamps on passports):

total absences (excluding my placement period abroad) - 350 days
placement period abroad - 227 days; I did two same-day-travels (day trip by eurostar) to break it off, if those count then this period will be in 3 parts of 69, 87, and 71 days.

so if the placement period abroad is to be included regardless of the 180-days rule then it will definitely go over the 540 days limit...unless the whole period can be exempted from both 180-days and 540-days rule :roll:

any chance of this kind of discretion at all?

kpatel
BANNED

Post by kpatel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Check your pm inbox

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:13 pm

kpatel wrote:Check your pm inbox
The OP is not yet able to use the pm function as his posts are less than 10. Suggest you offer your advice on the public forum in the thread.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.