ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croydon or Birmingham PEO?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FKarim

Croydon or Birmingham PEO?

Post by FKarim » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi all,

It's finally time for me to apply for ILR (2 years WP + 3 years HSMP). I have decided to apply in person as I believe it is a relatively straightforward case - current LTR valid for another year, no gaps between WP and HSMP (in fact still not reached the expiry date for the old work permit but currently on HSMP anyway), only 5 short absences in 5 years, all of them 2/3 weeks each.

The only "negative" thing I can think of about my application is that I was once caught by a speed camera (not too much over the speed limit though). Got 3 points and fined a small amount which I paid without contesting and going to the court. By looking at other people's posts, I guess this is hardly an issue, right?

More importantly I can't send my passport for an indefinite period of time as starting a new job soon and need to show my passport to the new employer on day one.

I live in NW London so Croydon was the natural choice but it seemed impossible to get an appointment (applying with dependents). Got an appointment at Birmingham but kept trying for Croydon and got it a few days later. Now thinking where to go and which one to cancel.

Do people here have any good or bad experiences (themselves or heard from others) at these two PEOs? I searched and found some people's stories but still nothing to help me compare the two. I don't mind going to Birmingham if the staff there are more reasonable. But at the same time don't want to bother if it doesn't make any difference to my application.

I would appreciate if someone can help me make this decision soon so that I can cancel the other appointment for someone else's benefit. Having been there, I know how precious these appointments are and don't want to waste one :)

Thanks,
Fawad

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:35 pm

They both offer the same hideously overpriced service by sour-faced civil servants.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Dawie wrote:They both offer the same hideously overpriced service by sour-faced civil servants.
Thanks :) Not very helpful but certainly made me smile, having the exact same feelings about the price. Will find out about their faces soon :wink:

steve567
Newly Registered

Post by steve567 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:03 am

Liverpool office is better for me. But I can't remember about ILR where I applied to.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 pm

I did mine at the Birmingham PEO, its a very small set of offices in a medium sized building, they only see about 20 people in a day (well thats how it was when I did it) but that meant I was seen in the first 15 mins and had my stamped passport and was out of there well before lunch time. I think you'll find it may take a bit longer in Croydon, just because they deal with a lot more people. Its up to you I suppose the fact that its may be alot quicker in Birmingham is negated by the fact that you have to travel a lot further. Mind you Croydon is a bit of a way from NW London anyway, it's swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Shan12

Post by Shan12 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm

I did my Limited Leave to Remain in Birmingham. It took 5 very long hours. After the first hour, they asked me: "Oh and whose birth certificate is this?" That was after I had told them the first time... I only got asked that another 2 times.

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks guys.

I decided to go to Birmingham because it was on a Friday and I could take a long weekend and see some people I know in Birmingham as well.

It took nearly 3 hours in total. After looking at the documents, phoning around, checking past records and taking the payment they told me it would take from one to one and a half hour because there were 3 passports. It took about 2 hours after that, but never mind. The important thing is that ILR was granted in the end. The people were very polite and friendly throughout, including the security guards. I think a smaller PEO does help in that way.

The lady who checked my documents was a bit light on knowledge of exact requirements though :) She asked me to show a recent letter from my employer, although I applied in HSMP category. She said that the offer letter for my current job was not good enough as it was nearly 3 years old. I told her such a letter was only a requirement for applicants in WP category. She said she needed a proof that I was still employed. I pointed towards my payslips and bank statements but she said "your ex-employer could owe you money from the past and you may not be working there anymore". A far-fetched but (sort of) believable idea. I told her that I had resigned from that company and was doing my notice period for a few more days only. Soon after which I was starting a new job for which I showed her my employment letter and contract. She said the next job was not significant and because I was still employed by my current employer, she needed a recent letter from them. Anyway there was no point in arguing, I had a bag full of documents and I dug out a letter regarding my share options in my current (soon to be ex-) company. Completely irrelevant I know, but she was happy. Even if I had asked, my employer could not have given me a letter saying "he is still employed by us and we still need him" because I was leaving soon.

I have read a similar story from another HSMP->ILR applicant on this board so I would advise people to get a letter from the employer anyway. Not because it is a legal requirement but because you might need to satisfy someone who doesn't know his/her stuff properly.

All in all, a good and recommendable experience that saved me from weeks of anxious waiting.

Good luck to everyone!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Congrats and thanks for the account of your experience. All the best for the future.
Jabi