ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What are the benefits of being a British citizen?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

steve567
Newly Registered

What are the benefits of being a British citizen?

Post by steve567 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:13 am

My status recently changed from ILR to citizenship. But I cannot find any more benefits for being a citizen compatred with previous ILR status. (apart from more freedom of travelling) My job opportunity is not better. I have to compete with others who have a right to work here ( HSMP and their dependents.)

The employers dont care about British or ILR or HSMP. They just employ the most suitable person.

Is they any law which protect British citizens for job search market?

What would be the reward of affirming oath to be loyal to the Queens during the citizenship ceremony?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:51 am

steve567 wrote:My status recently changed from ILR to citizenship. But I cannot find any more benefits for being a citizen compatred with previous ILR status. (apart from more freedom of travelling) My job opportunity is not better. I have to compete with others who have a right to work here ( HSMP and their dependents.)

The employers dont care about British or ILR or HSMP. They just employ the most suitable person.

Is they any law which protect British citizens for job search market?

What would be the reward of affirming oath to be loyal to the Queens during the citizenship ceremony?
OK, there was already a discussion about this, but not specifically about employment protection.

Firstly, as you may have known being a previous visa-holder immigrant (if you were on a WP or HSMP visa), the government requires employers to seek first 'home talent', as it were...meaning people who do not require visas. Now, obviously it depends on the type of job - if it's PT pub or assistant jobs, or some hotel and catering jobs, then clearly British and EU nationals are more or less guaranteed the job. If, however, it's a highly skilled position, then that is not the case.

Your benefits as a British citizen have now expanded to the whole of the EU/EEA - it is more promising than you've written. A prospective migrant to Germany would have to pass the 60 or 80k Euro salary benchmark; you do not. Many people, especially, dare I say, Brits, do not use their opportunities as best they can in moving across the EU/EEA. May be the language barrier...

Now, I do not really understand your other comment. Do you mean that you should be given a job compared to some visa holder (who already has the right to work here, e.g. HSMPers), who would be better suited to the job (and hence more desired by the employer), because you are a British national? I mean, you wrote "They just employ the most suitable person" - if you were an employer, wouldn't you want the most suitable person?

Immigrants have it hard enough; in the past the HSMP visa was initially valid for 12 months only and most employers didn't know what it was. Now that's changed. But now a friend of mine, who has a Master's from here, says she's applying for jobs and none of the employers know about the IGS programme. They have to compete for jobs, too, and often have to attach the government policies to explain their employment rights here (well, I told my friend to do that to show to prospective employers that the IGS is a real programme and not something she's making up!).

So, basically, the answer is mixed. At the lower end, there is greater protection, and WPs won't be provided for certain jobs. At the upper end (better paid jobs which require better skills and experience), it is more competitive and there's no guarantee that you'd be given the job simply because of your British status. It might well go to a French or German national - you can't complain there because they have 'free and unrestricted' access to all (but a few) British jobs. Same as in their countries.

There might be SOME other protection - e.g. for doctors, there is a plan being drawn up to ensure all British and EU/EEA nationals get training posts first, before releasing the rest of the posts to overseas junior doctors; but other than that, you have to get the job on your own merits.

There might be a plan to reduce the numbers coming in, but once they're in, it's a real race!
Last edited by sakura on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Steve567,
I really don't understand people like yourself, what are expecting?? Tons of hand outs and a job for life because you are now British!!!

Get real, you are now in a very privilege position, you can work anywhere in the 27 Europen members states and you will never go hunger, like the millions of people scrambling from all over the world to enter the EU.

Be a little more greatful of your new Citizenship and adopted home!

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 pm

There are some positions which are now open to you, speciaifially in nursing or medicine, where EEA nationals get priority, or in the Police, politics, the Civil Service. If you were not a Commonwealth national then you also now have the right to vote.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

global gypsy
United Kingdom

citizen

Post by global gypsy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:29 pm

Only citizens will be considered for jobs in defence and related sectors.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

JAJ
Australia

Re: citizen

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 am

global gypsy wrote:Only citizens will be considered for jobs in defence and related sectors.
In fact British citizenship is a requirement for most managerial and policy level positions - plus graduate trainee schemes - in the Civil Service.

steve567
Newly Registered

Post by steve567 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 am

Dear all

thank you very much for your reply. I must admit I have been crazy these days. I am a medical doctor graduated from oversea (outside EU). Until recently, NHS has no discrimination against non-EU job doctors. They all are employed provided that there is a right to work here. You may be aware that even some British graudated Britain -born-doctors have not got a training post.

Now again, NHS is considering they would prioritize British graduates only. Not mentioning about oversea graduate British citizens. I feel NHS is no longer good place to work. But I have no knowledge of other preofessional.

Thanks again

sashank

Are you fed up of being BRITISH?

Post by sashank » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:18 pm

steve567 wrote:Dear all

thank you very much for your reply. I must admit I have been crazy these days. I am a medical doctor graduated from oversea (outside EU). Until recently, NHS has no discrimination against non-EU job doctors. They all are employed provided that there is a right to work here. You may be aware that even some British graudated Britain -born-doctors have not got a training post.

Now again, NHS is considering they would prioritize British graduates only. Not mentioning about oversea graduate British citizens. I feel NHS is no longer good place to work. But I have no knowledge of other preofessional.

Thanks again
Hi Steve

Are you fedup of being british national?
SAS

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:41 am

One odd benefit of citizenship is the freedom to leave and then come back. So if you intend to spend 5 years living in, for example, Australia, and then wish to return to the UK, being a UK citizen is a good thing!