ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment mandatory at time of application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

djcat
Newly Registered

Employment mandatory at time of application?

Post by djcat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello all,

This is my first topic as I just came back from an appointment with the Nationality Checking Service. I am an EU citizen living in the UK since 2007 and I had a few jobs in the IT sector in the Thames Valley and London. The longest time I stayed without work was three months when I was made redundant by a business that didn't go too well and unfortunately I agreed on termination of my most recent job due to change in company strategy with a considerable payout as compensation for my signature - when I say recently, I mean last week, which is obviously unplanned and long after I did my life in the UK test (as evidence that I was working when I planned to become a British citizen).

Today the lady at the NCS said that because I am not in paid employment at this time when I would send the form to the Home Office, this might create issues for me. I mentioned that a) it may not be a legal requirement to be employed to naturalize, that b) I am still living here legally as I acquired the indefinite leave to remain automatically and c) I will still receive payment and compensation, hence I am technically still being paid even if my employment terminated a few days ago.

To make it short, she rescheduled my appointment to another one in two weeks when I should have an offer letter from another job (I told her that would be the case). However as empty promises are no contracts, I am still trying to understand what will happen if the next job opportunity does not turn into an employment contract, would I be unable to apply for British citizenship?

Thanks in advance for your help!

vinny

Re: Employment mandatory at time of application?

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:10 pm

As long as you have attained PR for at least a year and satisfy the other requirements, non-employment shouldn't be an issue.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:28 pm

djcat wrote:Hello all,

This is my first topic as I just came back from an appointment with the Nationality Checking Service. I am an EU citizen living in the UK since 2007 and I had a few jobs in the IT sector in the Thames Valley and London. The longest time I stayed without work was three months when I was made redundant by a business that didn't go too well and unfortunately I agreed on termination of my most recent job due to change in company strategy with a considerable payout as compensation for my signature - when I say recently, I mean last week, which is obviously unplanned and long after I did my life in the UK test (as evidence that I was working when I planned to become a British citizen).

Today the lady at the NCS said that because I am not in paid employment at this time when I would send the form to the Home Office, this might create issues for me. I mentioned that a) it may not be a legal requirement to be employed to naturalize, that b) I am still living here legally as I acquired the indefinite leave to remain automatically and c) I will still receive payment and compensation, hence I am technically still being paid even if my employment terminated a few days ago.

To make it short, she rescheduled my appointment to another one in two weeks when I should have an offer letter from another job (I told her that would be the case). However as empty promises are no contracts, I am still trying to understand what will happen if the next job opportunity does not turn into an employment contract, would I be unable to apply for British citizenship?

Naturalisation is not for workers only.

With ILR you have a right to remain in the country and there is no requirement to be 'working' in order to be to be naturalised.
(My wife was naturalised as a "homemaker" & not economically active).

Employment status is not a factor in citizenship & you still have 7 or 8 years of employment history for the appropriate section of the form.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:20 pm

I personally think that this new form with new section about employment history is actually even not clear to ukba and ncs staff as what it is it meant except the policy maker. I think in few days there might be new guideline published about it. The employment shouldn't be a requirement for naturalizations.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Unfortunately, this yet again appears to demonstrate how NCS staff are not always aware of the rules and regulations when it comes to naturalisation applications. As has already been stated, being employed is certainly not a requirement for naturalisation.

djcat
Newly Registered

Post by djcat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks for your replies, just what I thought...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:29 am

djcat wrote:Hello all,

Booklet AN spells it out (in section 1A / 1B) if you encounter any more NCS officials who are unclear:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_2015.pdf

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

saeumair

Post by saeumair » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:29 pm

any guidelines on new Employment requirement in AN form ?