ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK to british parent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ftse100

Child born outside UK to british parent

Post by ftse100 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:57 am

Dear forum members

I am sure this question must have been asked several times before but I couldn't find the answer to that..

I am naturalised British citizen and got married and last year in Pakistan. I am in the process of applying for my spouse visa and just had a baby last week in Pakistan. I am currently in Pakistan these days and wanted to apply for my child's first British passport but unfortunately in this short period of time the HMPO representative office in Pakistan had no early appointment for me and I can't wait here for that because of my job commitment. I want to know what other way could it be to make an application? Can I apply from the them UK? If yes then what is the procedure?

I would appreciate all quick responses.

Regards

AA

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Child born outside UK to british parent

Post by fwd079 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Hello "ftse100" :)

Yes, from Pakistan its difficult, if you have trouble regarding child Passport, and child was born after you became British Citizen, then personally I would click here and register my child's birth abroad, once that is done, I would then Contact FCO and request either an emergency travel document or ROA to be affixed on your child's Pakistani passport, for your child to enter UK. Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks fwd079 for the quick response.

Yes, the child is born after my naturalisation as British citizen.
Would that be ok to register the child and apply for her British passport from UK by sending all the relevant documents??

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Yes, if you want to go for ROA route, then once in UK child can easily get UK passport by applying online and its very swift usually, my three year old daughter's passport was delivered within six days of application.
Good luck.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

UmmMaryfati
Newly Registered

Post by UmmMaryfati » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 pm

Find out if your child is automatically British. I am British by descent but due to my mother being an expat of another country at the time of my birth, even though I lived most of my life on Britain, because I'm currently an expat in another country my children do not automatically qualify for a british passport. So check and see

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

A British citizen by descent can not pass on their citizenship to their children if the child is born overseas.

The OP is a British citizen by naturalisation, hence he is a British citizen otherwise than by descent and he can pass on his citizenship to his children born anywhere in the world, provided of course that he was naturalised before their birth. The child born to him overseas will be British by descent and will not be able to pass on their British citizenship to their children.

About the advice earlier on about getting an emergency travel document, I am not certain that such a document can be issued as it is issued only to people who already had a passport, which is unavailable (lost or stolen). The ROA is a valid option that the OP could look into.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
You usually can’t get an emergency travel document if you’ve never had a British passport - contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate if you need to travel urgently and can’t apply for a passport in time.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:19 am

Thanks for the help.