ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good character requirement and criminal records

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

djcat
Newly Registered

Good character requirement and criminal records

Post by djcat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:26 am

Hello,

I need to ask you a question about point 3.1 "Have you been convicted of any criminal offence in the UK or any other country?"

I understand that I need to disclose all convictions and I was convicted for a non-custodial sentence of 9 months in 2009 for an offense committed in 2004. In my country of origin, the sentence is not only considered spent but does not even exist any more in any official records according to the local law.

My question is if I am supposed to reveal the conviction anyway even if by law it doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks for your replies.

ukswus

Re: Good character requirement and criminal records

Post by ukswus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:49 am

Did you disclose this in your previous application to Home Office? If you did, then you have no choice but declare it again. If you did not, then declaring it now may lead to them believing that you deceived them previously.

9 months non-custodial sentence is quite serious, as far as the UK is concerned, even if your country believes otherwise. I think you should go and talk to a good lawyer, this issue is not trivial. You may be better off just staying on ILR.

djcat
Newly Registered

Post by djcat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:55 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did not disclose anything to anybody as I was not asked before. My question is not to see in which way to twist the facts but to understand if I need to disclose convictions which do not even exist anymore by the law of where it happened. According to the law of my birth country, spent sentences of less then 12 months and non custodial need to be erased out of all records after five years. My sentence is from 2009. Furthermore, it is a law of that country that if anybody knew of my sentence that person must not disclose it to anybody and that nobody can hold it against me.

From your post I understand that the sentence would be a serious one in the UK, however where I was born you get that kind of result for some not so serious offences. Certainly nobody was hurt, the sentence is spent, all fines are paid, I am an honest citizen paying lots of taxes and even the very question of guilt is debatable but I am not trying to find excuses, just what I need to tell according to the book.

From what I read in the notes I need to disclose all convictions and that a non custodial sentence of less then 12 months is not automatically a reason to deny citizenship. However if that conviction according to the law of where it happened does not exist anymore, do I still need to disclose it?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:11 am

djcat wrote:I was convicted for a non-custodial sentence of 9 months in 2009 for an offense committed in 2004.
Was this a conditional discharge?
[url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/chapter-18-naturalisation-at-discretion-nationality-instructions]Chapter 18: naturalisation at discretion[/url] > Annex D: the good character requirement > 2.1 Table of How Convictions & Sentences Affect Applications wrote:4.
A non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on a person’s criminal record
Applications will normally be refused if the conviction occurred in the last 3 years.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:33 am

djcat wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply. I did not disclose anything to anybody as I was not asked before. My question is not to see in which way to twist the facts but to understand if I need to disclose convictions which do not even exist anymore by the law of where it happened. According to the law of my birth country, spent sentences of less then 12 months and non custodial need to be erased out of all records after five years. My sentence is from 2009. Furthermore, it is a law of that country that if anybody knew of my sentence that person must not disclose it to anybody and that nobody can hold it against me.

From your post I understand that the sentence would be a serious one in the UK, however where I was born you get that kind of result for some not so serious offences. Certainly nobody was hurt, the sentence is spent, all fines are paid, I am an honest citizen paying lots of taxes and even the very question of guilt is debatable but I am not trying to find excuses, just what I need to tell according to the book.

From what I read in the notes I need to disclose all convictions and that a non custodial sentence of less then 12 months is not automatically a reason to deny citizenship. However if that conviction according to the law of where it happened does not exist anymore, do I still need to disclose it?
My feeling is that it needs to be disclosed. For example, in the UK a cinviction may become "spent" after a certain period of time, but it still needs to be disclosed in immigration applications. In your case, declaring it should not matter, as non-custodial offencrs which occured more than 3 years ago should not disqualify you. On the other hand, if you do not declare it, it may be considered deception on your side. Also, if you come from EU counyry, UK can quite easily check your coutry's records, keep this in mind.

djcat
Newly Registered

Post by djcat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:04 pm

vinny wrote:
djcat wrote:I was convicted for a non-custodial sentence of 9 months in 2009 for an offense committed in 2004.
Was this a conditional discharge?
[url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/chapter-18-naturalisation-at-discretion-nationality-instructions]Chapter 18: naturalisation at discretion[/url] > Annex D: the good character requirement > 2.1 Table of How Convictions & Sentences Affect Applications wrote:4.
A non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on a person’s criminal record
Applications will normally be refused if the conviction occurred in the last 3 years.

Conditional discharge? No idea, doesn't sound like that in my mother tongue and the legalese is even more different.

I never saw a Jail from the inside and the suspended sentence was the sentence.

rootcause1984
Newly Registered

Post by rootcause1984 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 pm

@djcat

Wat happen to u r application?can u pls update

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu May 26, 2016 10:46 pm

rootcause1984 wrote:@djcat

Wat happen to u r application?can u pls update

Thanks
The member was last active almost a year ago and posted just 5 or 6 times, not been back since.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.