ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK for naturalisation??? pls advise

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ukstay2
Newly Registered

Child born outside UK for naturalisation??? pls advise

Post by ukstay2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:10 am

Hello

Me and my 5 yr old son got ILR last year. Now when I was preparing to apply for naturalisation NCS told me that my son doesn't qualify as my wife do not hold ILR and son is born outside UK?

Can someone please advise if there is anyway or criteria my son can qualify for naturalisation? or will postal application help?

Please help!

Thanks

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Re: Child born outside UK for naturalisation??? pls advise

Post by chocolateorange88 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:43 am

Yes that's right. once you get BC then you can apply for your son!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:01 pm

ukstay2 wrote:Hello

Me and my 5 yr old son got ILR last year. Now when I was preparing to apply for naturalisation NCS told me that my son doesn't qualify as my wife do not hold ILR and son is born outside UK?

Can someone please advise if there is anyway or criteria my son can qualify for naturalisation? or will postal application help?

Please help!

Thanks
Note Children are registered to acquire UK citizenship; (naturalisation is for adults).

See the forum's Citizenship FAQs - there's a section about children:
british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... 95747.html

And here is UK gov guide for registration of children:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2015.pdf

You can use this to decide under which section of the BNA your child would qualify for citizenship.
If born outside UK to non-British citizens it will be discretionary registration, most likely under section 3(1).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ukstay2
Newly Registered

Post by ukstay2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Thank you for your reply guys!

@ yesilgozlerim : Will it help if I apply after getting my BC? For section 3(1) the guide read:

Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s
discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already
hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is
settled in the UK.

Any other advise please. Advise if you know any good solicitor please.

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:01 pm

ukstay2 wrote:Thank you for your reply guys!

@ yesilgozlerim : Will it help if I apply after getting my BC? For section 3(1) the guide read:

Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s
discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already
hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is
settled in the UK.

Any other advise please. Advise if you know any good solicitor please.

Thanks
My understanding is the parents both have to be naturalised, or one naturalised & the other settled in UK, for example with ILR.

A solicitor would not normally be necessary.
You can apply by yourself or, for a reasonable extra cost (typically around £50 - £70), you could use your local council's NCS (nationality checking) service to help you apply.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ukstay2
Newly Registered

Post by ukstay2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 pm

@ noajthan : I would want to see solicitor for advise as sections and criteria's on guide are quite complicated/confusing.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:52 pm

ukstay2 wrote:@ noajthan : I would want to see solicitor for advise as sections and criteria's on guide are quite complicated/confusing.
Please keep us posted about what the solicitor advises, for the knowledge of the forum.

I am perturbed at what you found confusing.

In order to register a child born outside the UK, one parent needs to be a citizen and the other either a citizen or on ILR/PR.

The rules are different in case the child is born in the UK. In that case, the child is entitled to be registered when either parent gets ILR/PR.

I would think that is quite clear.