ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim time towards naturalisation for visa mistake??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

spatel07

Post by spatel07 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:04 pm

Dear all

In short, I was initially granted a 2 year spouse visa but later found out that I was in fact entitled to indefinite leave to enter (ILE)!

I had the spouse visa for approx 1 year 8 months & recently got my passport stamped with ILR not ILE (as I was in the UK) by the home office. Does anyone know whether I can claim time towards my naturalisation because of the initial visa mistake?

Many thanks.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:15 pm

Does anyone know whether I can claim time towards my naturalisation because of the initial visa mistake?
I am struggling to understand how a visa mistake, even if there was a mistake, has any impact upon when you can apply for Naturalisation as British, given you now have ILR.

Why do you think there is any time to claim?
John

tinux

Post by tinux » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 pm

I think he means that he could have applied for Bc after one year of recieving ILR instead now he has to wait till 12 months are over
could be wrong

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:59 am

tinux wrote:I think he means that he could have applied for Bc after one year of recieving ILR instead now he has to wait till 12 months are over
could be wrong
If he is married to a British citizen there is no need to wait 12 months until after ILR.

But it's all academic as he can't apply for naturalisation until he has a total of 3 years U.K. residence.

spatel07

Post by spatel07 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi

Thanx for your feedback.

I am married to a British citizen and we both lived outside the UK for well over 4 years. But as mentioned, I was issued with a 2 year spouse visa from BHC abroad instead of the correct ILE. I only found out I was entitled to ILE when I seeked through immigration advice from a lawyer when I was visiting the UK late last year.

I only just moved to the UK early this year and recently got my passport stamped with ILR. I know I have to stay in the UK for 3 years in order to naturalise but can't I claim time towards this time frame since I spent almost 1 year 8 months on the wrong visa? I couldn't move to the UK straight away because of unforseen circumstances but am now present here.

Any advice would be great.

Thanx.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 pm

As JAJ implied, the minimum required period of 12 months' ILE/ILR are only for people who are not spouses of British citizens.

Any periods during which you were legally in the UK may be counted towards meeting the residential requirements for Naturalisation (see B. Requirements for a person applying as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen). It doesn't make any difference if you were on a spouse visa or ILE/ILR during that time. However, you cannot include periods spent outside the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.