ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Document Nightmare - German National and Naturalisation

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gomjaba

Document Nightmare - German National and Naturalisation

Post by Gomjaba » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 pm

My situation may or may not be complicated due to two reasons, maybe someone here can give me a hint. I have been going through some older posts here already - but as always, everyone's situation is different and I don't want to make any assumptions.

I came to the UK back in September 2007 and have been working in the UK ever since.

At some point I decided to become British Citizen - it just made sense to me (hassle of renewing German passport, not be able to vote etc.).

Only now I really checked out the requirements and I am more confused than ever. Now I am also married and got a son, not sure if that complicates things or not.

First of all I did pass the Life in the UK test this weekend and also passed the English test - so that is out of the way.

Either way, let me explain my document problems here.

Section 1.48 - 1.53 - Employment Details // Nightmare #1
Ok, this one is relatively straight forward, in fact, I got the details in my CV anyway (and LinkedIn), but the notes of course say you need to prove it. My problem: I am chaotic when it comes to documents and I managed to lose a "work" folder, which included contracts, P60s and P45s.

Now I read here in the forums that you can get your employment details / history from HMRC, which I have requested in writing today. I also sent letters to the companies I have worked for, requesting the same.

Section 2.2 - Periods I have been away // Nightmare #2
I only ever left the country to visit my parents in Germany - maybe a few days up to 10 days, if that, and that hasn't even happened every year. The only non-EU holiday I have been to was the Dominican Republic - but that is easy - I got the stamps in the passport. But I don't have any records of the days I have been to Germany. I asked my parents and they simply don't know either.

I phone around and it seems that as EU citizen, you only ever get logged at the eBorders under certain circumstances, so I have submitted a "Subject Access Request" to get more details of, if any, data held with the HO.

Question
Assuming the HMRC (never been self-employed, only employed) actually sends me the full list for the years required, I assume this is enough proof for the ILR as EU citizen ? I presume IF my ex-employers actually respond with a letter, this is supporting the application rather than necessary ?

How do you deal with the lack of records of leaving the country ? Assuming the SAR from the HO has some records, then fine, I can copy them, but what if the SAR comes back "clean" and I don't have any records - do you just guess the dates and send a cover letter along explaining that you only ever left for a few days of holiday ?

Now as mentioned - I also got married to a UK citizen (November 2013) and have a 5 month old son - who I presume is British by default. Does that make any difference at all ? I am not married to her for three years yet, but I am in the country for almost eight.

Like I say - very confusing. I was tempted to just apply for the PR card .. but it appears I will have yet another year to live in the UK once received ? I am also confused about what forms I am supposed to use .. .EEA(QP), EEA(PR) ??

Any help / hints are appreciated ....

LilyLalilu

Re: Document Nightmare - German National and Naturalisation

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Do you know more or less when you travelled so that you could at least guesstimate the days? Or do you have email receipts of flight tickets etc which could help you remember?
I mean, you are nowhere near the max. number of days you can be out of the country so it should not really be an issue. See if the SAR returns anything, if not just guesstimate the days.

The employment history is good - of course better if paired with additional evidence such as employer letters and P60s but if you really do not have anything else, it should be fine.

If you're not sure, you can apply for PR first - you do not need to wait a year after receiving it because you are married to a British Citizen (no need to be married for 3 years!) so you could apply straight for BC once you have your PR card.

This is the right form for PR: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-15.pdf
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Gomjaba

Re: Document Nightmare - German National and Naturalisation

Post by Gomjaba » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:19 am

Unfortunately I don't have an email receipt .. I have just written a letter to both airlines I have used and asked for historic records. At the end of the day, if no one has any records, then obviously I am good enough to guess. Do you think a cover letter should be added to explain that these are guesses?

And thanks for the link ... so it is indeed the 127 pages of pain ....