ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment History- working holiday period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vivienp
Newly Registered

Employment History- working holiday period

Post by vivienp » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi, I am going to submit my British naturalisation application next Thursday based on 5 years Working Permit (2008 to 2013) + 1.5 years ILR. I need some advise regarding employment history as I first came to the UK as working holiday maker. Some timeline below:
Aug 2007- arrive in the Uk as working holiday maker
Oct 2007 –start work with company A (with working holiday visa)
July 2008 – Company A applied for work permit for me and approved. I stopped work end of July 2008, then going on a one month tour around UK/Europe
Sep 2008 - went back to my home country (Malaysia) to apply for entry clearance on my new work permit
Nov 2008 – Entry clearance approved. Flew back to the UK end of Nov.
Dec 2008 – continue work with Company A as work permit holder

Although I didn’t do any work for them during Aug-Nov 2008 and not getting any pay, I am still considered being employed by the company with unpaid leave (e.g. no P45 issued etc)

I am planning to put in Section 2.1 Date of first Arrival to UK as the date I enter as work permit holder on 26 Nov 2008.

So my question is how should I enter my employment history. I am thinking of enter them as two separate line items as I am not working (not in the UK) between those period:
1 Oct 2007- 31 July 2008, with Company A
1 Dec 2008- Present, with Company A

Or should I just enter below as I didn't really leave the company.
1 Oct 2007- Present, with Company A

but at the same time I also don't want them to mis-interpret that I have work more than 12 months under working holiday visa.

Thanks in advance for your help!

happyguy82

Re: Employment History- working holiday period

Post by happyguy82 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi there,

Your situation is similar to mine. I'll need to look at the scans of my form to recall what I've written. Technically what we have done is illegal, I.e. Remained employed for > 12 months while under WHM. I hired a barrister to write a supporting letter for my ILR application.

I'm on holiday but will get back to you when I return to England.

vivienp
Newly Registered

Post by vivienp » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi Happyguy82,
Thanks for your reply.

Do you submit any letter referring to this matter when you apply for naturalisation? I already got my ILR back in Oct 2013 without having to write any supporting letter pertaining to this matter.

Technically I only work for 10 months then went back to Malaysia to apply for entry clearance for work permit. However there was a delay and I only got my entry clearance in Nov '08. I was asked to go for an interview and from the questions the officer asked I could sense she thinks we misused the WHV however we did not break the rules i.e. did not work over 12 months so she have no choice but to approve my entry clearance then.

I have already made an appt at NCS this thursday so hopefully you will be back by then. Have a good holiday!

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:26 am

vivienp wrote:Hi, I am going to submit my British naturalisation application next Thursday based on 5 years Working Permit (2008 to 2013) + 1.5 years ILR. I need some advise regarding employment history as I first came to the UK as working holiday maker. Some timeline below:
Aug 2007- arrive in the Uk as working holiday maker
Oct 2007 –start work with company A (with working holiday visa)
July 2008 – Company A applied for work permit for me and approved. I stopped work end of July 2008, then going on a one month tour around UK/Europe
Sep 2008 - went back to my home country (Malaysia) to apply for entry clearance on my new work permit
Nov 2008 – Entry clearance approved. Flew back to the UK end of Nov.
Dec 2008 – continue work with Company A as work permit holder

Although I didn’t do any work for them during Aug-Nov 2008 and not getting any pay, I am still considered being employed by the company with unpaid leave (e.g. no P45 issued etc)

I am planning to put in Section 2.1 Date of first Arrival to UK as the date I enter as work permit holder on 26 Nov 2008.

So my question is how should I enter my employment history. I am thinking of enter them as two separate line items as I am not working (not in the UK) between those period:
1 Oct 2007- 31 July 2008, with Company A
1 Dec 2008- Present, with Company A

Or should I just enter below as I didn't really leave the company.
1 Oct 2007- Present, with Company A

but at the same time I also don't want them to mis-interpret that I have work more than 12 months under working holiday visa.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi there,

In Section 2.1 your date should be the day you arrived as a Tier-2 holder, not WHM because the guide clearly says "Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis". So yes 26 Nov 2008.

I've just looked through my Form AN and can't find anything on employment history. Is this a new requirement on the new form? When I applied for ILR I included the history working as WHM. Just declare the facts, so since you worked you'll need to list it down.

Hope this helps.

HarryC
United Kingdom

Post by HarryC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am

Contradictory to what was said in the post

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 88058.html
harry
Settlement visa
VFS centre: New Delhi
Application submitted: 09-09-2015
Biometrics done: 09-09-2015
Application received in Delhi: 09-09-2015

vivienp
Newly Registered

Post by vivienp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi Happyguy82,
Yes the employment history is added in the new form recently.

I am planning to include the WHM working period, just not sure whether I should include a note saying I didn't work in between Aug-Nov2008 when I went back to my home country to apply EC as WP holder. Or may be I don't need to do this, HO can see for themselves in their records?

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:48 pm

just put the very first date u arrived in the UK and explain on the extra information page at the back, page 23 or something, and explain as you have here.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:06 pm

vivienp wrote:Hi Happyguy82,
Yes the employment history is added in the new form recently.

I am planning to include the WHM working period, just not sure whether I should include a note saying I didn't work in between Aug-Nov2008 when I went back to my home country to apply EC as WP holder. Or may be I don't need to do this, HO can see for themselves in their records?
When I applied for ILR, my barrister wrote that I first came to the UK under WHM, then after 10 months of working I went back to Malaysia and subsequently applied for Tier-1 G from Kuala Lumpur. I then came back here to continue working.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:08 pm

yesilgozlerim wrote:just put the very first date u arrived in the UK and explain on the extra information page at the back, page 23 or something, and explain as you have here.
not for Section 2.1 because if you come as WHM you're meant to leave after 2 years and not have a view of settling here. If she specifies the WHM start date then she would have breached the terms of her visa.

HarryC
United Kingdom

Post by HarryC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:30 pm

happyguy82 wrote:
yesilgozlerim wrote:just put the very first date u arrived in the UK and explain on the extra information page at the back, page 23 or something, and explain as you have here.
not for Section 2.1 because if you come as WHM you're meant to leave after 2 years and not have a view of settling here. If she specifies the WHM start date then she would have breached the terms of her visa.
It is ok to put the first arrival date in 2.1. Read my other post. NCS themselves asked one of the applicant to put that. and one of the person did get the citizenship. so its absolutely fine
harry
Settlement visa

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:32 pm

HarryC wrote:
happyguy82 wrote:
It is ok to put the first arrival date in 2.1. Read my other post. NCS themselves asked one of the applicant to put that. and one of the person did get the citizenship. so its absolutely fine
Just because an application is granted doesn't mean that the application is correct. Just look on this thread alone and you'll find many ill advised moves. Some people even put down their ILR card number as the HO Reference number.

At the end of the day they do apply a little leniency so it shouldn't matter; but why enter something incorrect and take the chance?

When applying for WHM you have agreed that you do not intend to reside in the UK after that period. therefore this shouldn't be the date entered in 2.1, unless of course the applicant was lying previously during the WHM application. If it says 'with a view of staying in the UK on a long term basis' then obviously it has to be a visa category that actually leads to ILR rather than a temporal one.

vivienp
Newly Registered

Post by vivienp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:57 pm

I agree with happyguy.

Since you mentioned HO reference number, what should I put on Item 1.1? Is this applicable?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:04 pm

happyguy82 wrote:At the end of the day they do apply a little leniency so it shouldn't matter; but why enter something incorrect and take the chance?

When applying for WHM you have agreed that you do not intend to reside in the UK after that period. therefore this shouldn't be the date entered in 2.1, unless of course the applicant was lying previously during the WHM application. If it says 'with a view of staying in the UK on a long term basis' then obviously it has to be a visa category that actually leads to ILR rather than a temporal one.
Agree. And this question does get asked repeatedly in this forum... Another recent thread
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1198331
vivienp wrote:Since you mentioned HO reference number, what should I put on Item 1.1? Is this applicable?
The HO reference field is optional, I've always left it blank in all my applications. You can enter it if you know what it is and have it from previous HO correspondence.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 pm

vivienp wrote:I agree with happyguy.

Since you mentioned HO reference number, what should I put on Item 1.1? Is this applicable?
A HO reference number is a letter followed by 7 or 8 digits. This has been confirmed by my immigration barrister who is on the UK's Bar Council. I left it blank because I did not have one. Most applicants who had a 'normal route' like us wouldn't have this. Leave it blank. I've left it blank on my Tier-1 G, ILR and Naturalisation applications.

HarryC
United Kingdom

Post by HarryC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:32 am

Hmmmm

Odd then why NCS will ask you to put the date you first entered irrespective of your intention.
anyways, will the time spent on Working holiday maker count towards "5 years residency requirement"?
I came on WHM in 2009 and got my spouse visa in 2010
harry
Settlement visa

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:03 pm

HarryC wrote:Hmmmm

Odd then why NCS will ask you to put the date you first entered irrespective of your intention.
anyways, will the time spent on Working holiday maker count towards "5 years residency requirement"?
no it doesn't count because WHM can't lead to long term residency; which is why it would count as breaching the WHM terms if you put this date down. NCS staff aren't lawyers by profession :) Once again, the fact that your application gets approved doesn't meant that it was correct in the first place.

HarryC
United Kingdom

Post by HarryC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:36 pm

happyguy82 wrote:

no it doesn't count because WHM can't lead to long term residency; which is why it would count as breaching the WHM terms if you put this date down. NCS staff aren't lawyers by profession :) Once again, the fact that your application gets approved doesn't meant that it was correct in the first place.

Oh ok. Good job i didnt apply last month then because i came in the UK on Jan 2009 as WHM and then got married and got spouse visa on 28th Aug 2010. So guess i would be able to apply for naturalisation after this date ?
harry
Settlement visa

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

HarryC wrote:
happyguy82 wrote:

Oh ok. Good job i didnt apply last month then because i came in the UK on Jan 2009 as WHM and then got married and got spouse visa on 28th Aug 2010. So guess i would be able to apply for naturalisation after this date ?
Ahh I'm not sure what the residency requirement for spouse visa holders applying for Naturalisation is. It's different for some categories. I only know it's 5 years for work categories, plus 1 year on a visa that has no expiry date e.g. ILR thus the total for most people would be either 5 or 6 years.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:47 pm

HarryC wrote:Oh ok. Good job i didnt apply last month then because i came in the UK on Jan 2009 as WHM and then got married and got spouse visa on 28th Aug 2010. So guess i would be able to apply for naturalisation after this date ?
If you currently have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and are married to a British citizen then you would be able to apply for naturalisation any time you wish, so long as you meet all other requirements explained in the AN form & guide.

happyguy82

Post by happyguy82 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:14 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
HarryC wrote:Oh ok. Good job i didnt apply last month then because i came in the UK on Jan 2009 as WHM and then got married and got spouse visa on 28th Aug 2010. So guess i would be able to apply for naturalisation after this date ?
If you currently have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and are married to a British citizen then you would be able to apply for naturalisation any time you wish, so long as you meet all other requirements explained in the AN form & guide.
but the applicant needs to have the spousal visa for at least 1 year right?

digitanium

Post by digitanium » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:43 pm

happyguy82 wrote:

Agreed. WHM does not count towards residency and hence the reason why I did not put down this date when I applied for my naturalisation.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:49 pm

happyguy82 wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:
but the applicant needs to have the spousal visa for at least 1 year right?

No, spouses can apply immediately after obtaining ILR, assuming they have lived in the UK for 3 years.

HarryC
United Kingdom

Post by HarryC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:36 pm

Spoke to UKBA
they first asked me to put the date i first entered i.e WHM visa date and i said to them that at that time i didnt enter to live in UK permanently. When i got my spouse visa in 2010 then I obviously intended to be here permanently.
I got ILR in 2012.
I am nw divorced so will be applying on residency terms. So guess i need to put the date when my spouse visavwas granted?
harry
Settlement visa

HarryC
United Kingdom

Post by HarryC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:35 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 88058.html

Interesting debate here.
Ncs lady spoke to UKBA and they asked to put the first date of arrival completely different to guide.
harry
Settlement visa

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 pm

HarryC wrote:Spoke to UKBA
they first asked me to put the date i first entered i.e WHM visa date and i said to them that at that time i didnt enter to live in UK permanently. When i got my spouse visa in 2010 then I obviously intended to be here permanently.
I got ILR in 2012.
I am nw divorced so will be applying on residency terms. So guess i need to put the date when my spouse visavwas granted?
Yes, based on your circumstances that would be the most appropriate.