ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help plz!!! shortage list job category - definition of terms

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abadreddine

Help plz!!! shortage list job category - definition of terms

Post by abadreddine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi
i want to apply for new job within my company but HR are not sure if its in the shortage occupation list:
The ukba shortage list include:
"Project engineer in the electricity transmission and distribution industry"

Who defines which job and which company is included in this category

my new job role is project engineer and company is schneider electric.
We supply and install equipment for major UK "distribution network providers" and i work closely with them
how can i prove that my job is in the shortage list??

abadreddine

Re: Help plz!!! shortage list job category - definition of t

Post by abadreddine » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Has anyone got clue on this ?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:07 pm

abadreddine wrote:Hi
i want to apply for new job within my company but HR are not sure if its in the shortage occupation list:
The ukba shortage list include:
"Project engineer in the electricity transmission and distribution industry"

Who defines which job and which company is included in this category

my new job role is project engineer and company is schneider electric.
We supply and install equipment for major UK "distribution network providers" and i work closely with them
how can i prove that my job is in the shortage list??
read what is a shortage occupation under SOC code 1123:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... pril14.pdf
Note that you would need to be a project manager to qualify. It is HR that decides and assigns the CoS and they take responsibility for it vis-a-vis the HO. You don't have to prove anything, if the HO have any queries they'll contact HR. The job description in the CoS should be similar to what is in the codes of practice for SOC code 1123:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... l_2015.pdf

abadreddine

Post by abadreddine » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi Manci
thanks for you reply
actually I can still be project engineer in the shortage list under SOC code 2129
Below are the description of my tasks and you can check your self if they are close to that of 2129.
The problem is that engineering jobs varies a lot under the same position and it's impossible to limit them to 5 sentences.
We have sent the below job description to the company immigration lawyer and he advised that 2129 is the closest match.

The issue now is that we have to verify that my job is in the shortage list that's limited to a certain sector (project engineer in the electricity transmission and distribution industry). The problem is that HR don't know a lot and they are waiting for the lawyer to confirm this which is quite strange. I may need to have conference call with the lawyer to prove this. The other problem is that my company is very big and they do a lot of activities some in electricity sector , other in buildings etc.
The question to be answered is when they say "electricity transmission and distribution industry" it's quite a broad term.
Is there a list of companies or businesses that falls under this term

• Managing projects execution throughout all stages as per planned time frames, making sure KPIs are met, risk is managed to business objectives and on time delivery is achieved.
• Leading and influencing various design teams, prioritizing activities and ensuring on time completion of engineering drawings
• Coordinated after sales site works activities.
• Conducting FAT tests with customer
• Sharing engineering best practice via appropriate platforms: Continuous Improvement Process and Cross Departmental Meetings.
• Presenting, training and demonstrating all Schneider's portfolio to existing and potential customers.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 pm

since there is a company immigration lawyer speak with him/her, HR will also rely on his/her advice