ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalisation and planned long trips

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Zurek
Newly Registered

Applying for naturalisation and planned long trips

Post by Zurek » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Hope some of you helpful people will know the answer to my query. I plan to apply for BC in July. I also plan to go for a 5 weeks holiday in August. It is very likely that my biometric request letter will arrive when I will be abroad and I will fail to go to the post office within required time. Is there any way to ask HO not to send anything for 5 weeks due to holidays? My case is going to be very straightforward, but I just don't want to wait with the application until September.
One more question: do I need to stay in the UK for the whole time in between receiving a letter of approval and the ceremony? We have planned so many weekends away and half term breakes it may be a bit tricky.

gumfree7

Re: Applying for naturalisation and planned long trips

Post by gumfree7 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:53 pm

You can't get special treatment just because you're going on a holiday. It doesn't work like that, even how straightforward the case is.

Citizenship is not a right but a privilege, and you have to jump through every hoop that HO presents you with. Of course you can always include a covering letter and say you will be on holiday so won't be able to enroll your biometrics, but personally I don't think that's going to work and HO might take it the wrong way. If you can't be bothered to go through the process why should they? You should either apply after you have had your holiday or don't go on holiday until you get your biometrics done.

Would you rather lose your chance at citizenship by having your application rejected because you failed to have your biometrics taken just for a quick holiday and have to re-apply again, or wait a little bit longer and have peace of mind? Up to you. :P

I think HO sends another biometrics letter if you fail to enroll the first time after couple of days giving you another 14 days. But since they send it 2nd class, it could leave you with only a few days to have it done (depending on Royal Mail speed).

Answer to your second question: You can travel as long as you have your passport once you submit your application and don't have to stay - just make sure you don't forget to do your biometric scan and book ceremony if approved.

NOUR
Newly Registered

Post by NOUR » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:47 pm

hi , i have an appointment monday 29/6 with NCS to apply for neutralisation as a british citizen.
i have history of over staying [enter uk with visa] and apply asylum with false identity.
i married with british citizenship man ,gave birth and back to my country to apply to spouse visa , they refused my application due to breaking law of immigration and appyl asylum with false identity , but the court and judge allowed me to obtain visa as spouse and mother of british child. t stayed in my country 1 year and half time of waiting . after 2 years i have been granted ILR,
need advise please do you think my application will be unsuccessful .

chocolateorange88
BANNED

Post by chocolateorange88 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Nour id wait at least 10 years. Going on your past they may see you as not lf good character and refuse the citizenship so id wait at least 10 yeas before applying as they now look at your file for the 10 years before

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Nour, to begin with, please don't hijack somebody else's thread when your query has no relationship to the original query. Please create a new thread.

Secondly, even if you have been given ILR, that has no bearing on your application for citizenship. As per your own admission, you have broken immigration rules in two different ways. That would break the "being of good character" requirement of getting citizenship.

You would want to wait for atleast 10 years of having ceased breaking the law (I believe that that would be at the point below) to be considered for citizenship.
NOUR wrote:back to my country to apply to spouse visa

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:41 pm

I'd definitely postpone my travels at least until after I've submitted biometrics.