ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying an American - want to reside in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

WoburnLee
Newly Registered

Re: Marrying an American - want to reside in UK

Post by WoburnLee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks Casa, your help is most appreciated! One last question... Once we have all our evidence and necessary letters / documentation gathered and we (my wife) starts the online process with the UK gov, what is the approximate timeline from when she completes the online application to a visa being issued (presuming all of the above satisfies the case worker?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Official UKVI statistics show that currently 92% of spouse settlement visas submitted in the US are processed within 15 days.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WoburnLee
Newly Registered

Post by WoburnLee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 pm

and once issued, she can arrive in the UK and apply for work freely?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:36 pm

WoburnLee wrote:and once issued, she can arrive in the UK and apply for work freely?
Yes, she will be legal to work freely although she will need to apply for her National Insurance number first as she will need this to be able to work and pay taxes etc. She should only arrive in the UK on or after the spouse visa start date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 pm

It isn't illegal to start work without a National Insurance number, but prospective employers may want to see this before employing her.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Also be aware some employers may baulk at time-limited visas when offering positions - rare but I've seen it happen.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

WoburnLee
Newly Registered

Post by WoburnLee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 am

Once all complete, we are slowly starting our folder of documentation, is it correct we have to post it (along with my partners original US passport) to the UK (from the US)?

The address i have is:
Settlement applications
International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom

WoburnLee
Newly Registered

Post by WoburnLee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Also to whom should my employer address the employment confirmation letter for the attention of?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:28 pm

WoburnLee wrote:Also to whom should my employer address the employment confirmation letter for the attention of?
They can address it as "To whom it may concern".
(Casa, not CR001)