ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Never work or paid taxes...

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alia84
Newly Registered

Never work or paid taxes...

Post by alia84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Hello All,

My wife and I have scheduled to go to the national checking service this Saturday to apply for her naturalisation as a British citizen for my wife. Since arriving in the UK she has never worked and has focused on her studies, however last year due to my work commitments we had moved from Glasgow to London which meant she had to cut short her studies.

Last year she wanted to start work doing beauty and nail treatments. More or less every interview she had went to they had told her that she would need to be self employed, so she registered as self employed. Unfortunately, since registering she got serious ill (large blood clot in the chest) and was unable to work.

Nearly a year has pass and she has still not work but has been register as self employed ever since and has never paid taxes. One of the questions on the applications form ask for employment details and states "If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account"

HMRC do not provide self assessment statements if no taxes are paid, so would it be sufficient enough to simply stated her NI and self assessment ref number when asked about her employment details in the application form?

Many thanks in advance.
Ali

solospy
Member of Standing

Re: Never work or paid taxes...

Post by solospy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Just put in her Tax reference number in the form. Home office can check that she had no tax obligations. If i were you i wouldn't even put in the reference number and put in unemployed/housewife as she has never worked in the UK.

alia84
Newly Registered

Post by alia84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks solospy, but doesn't the HO know/investigate if she has registered as self employed?

Don't want to risk anything or withhold any information...came so far and don't want to fall at last hurdle.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 pm

I would advise her to give her tax reference. Even though she hasn't had any income from her self-employment, has she submitted a self-assessment tax return showing nil earnings?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

alia84
Newly Registered

Post by alia84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:36 pm

Casa wrote:I would advise her to give her tax reference. Even though she hasn't had any income from her self-employment, has she submitted a self-assessment tax return showing nil earnings?
She has never submitted a self-assessment tax return and I have been in touch with HMRC, explained the situation to them and she doesn't own any tax (their records have been updated).

My concern is that HO see that she has been self employed for a year and not paid any taxes - would that not raise a few eye brows?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:42 pm

They would check the HMRC records as they share information. It won't be a problem.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

alia84
Newly Registered

Post by alia84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Casa wrote:They would check the HMRC records as they share information. It won't be a problem.
Thanks.