ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

About to apply for EEA family permit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

evil_grrrl666

About to apply for EEA family permit

Post by evil_grrrl666 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:20 am

Hi everyone!

Currently my soon to be husband(indian citizen) and I(german citizen) are in the middle of collecting paperwork to apply for an EEA family permit for him. Next week is our wedding, and we want to apply as soon as we get the marriage certificate.

at the moment both of us are in India, and through relatives we were able to arrange accommodation in the UK before we actually arrive there. (we are submitting a letter signed by the owner of the house, stating we can stay in a separate room there for as long as we need, and proof of ownership & passport copy)
Unfortunately I do not have any job offer in hand but I have been applying through sites like monster.co.uk.
Also I have savings that amount to pretty much the annual salary of the jobs I am applying for. (does that mean i would qualify as a self sufficient person or jobseeker?)

Although our relationship is completely genuine, everything has been planned very quickly. We actually met only 1.5 years ago, been dating for little over a year and already getting married. We also have some evidence to back that up (emails, postcards, photos)

right now I am in the process of writing the cover letter to submit with his application and I am a bit confused. According to advice which I found elsewhere on this board, I am writing down how we met, how our relationship progressed etc. and the whole thing is turning into what seems like a romance novel. I am wondering if that is ok, or should the letter be more to the point?

Also our purpose of moving to the uk is basically that I can join a course (for which i have not yet gotten admission because i want to check out all the universities first in person, then have to attend an interview and figure out if i need to join a foundation course beforehand). my fiance is educated already (BBA & MBA) and intends to get a job there to support both of us while I am studying. I will also get a job before my course starts, and maybe only work part time while i am studying.

Other documents we are submitting include:
my bank statements which show the savings I have,
my passport copy
a printout of the overview of the course i am most likely to join,
a letter from my mother (who resides in the netherlands) stating she will financially support us should we ever require it,
her bank statements, employment letter and salary slips and passport copy.
as mentioned before, a letter from his aunt who owns a house in the uk, stating we can live with her, a proof of ownership of the house, passport copy.
the printouts of our air tickets to show we intend to travel together,
a wedding invitation, some photographs of our wedding and trips we went on while dating, print outs of emails, postcards he sent to me while he was traveling abroad.

We are quite anxious about our application and really want to do all we can so he gets his permit and we need not stay apart. do we need any more documentation? in my cover letter, should I be very detailed about our relationship or more businesslike and to the point? also is there any length that is advisable for such things, it seems pretty long at the moment and I am not even finished yet.

Thanks so much for your time!

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: About to apply for EEA family permit

Post by thsths » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:23 pm

evil_grrrl666 wrote:Currently my soon to be husband(indian citizen) and I(german citizen) are in the middle of collecting paperwork to apply for an EEA family permit for him. Next week is our wedding, and we want to apply as soon as we get the marriage certificate.
The EEA family permit should only be a formality. As long as you have an English translation of the marriage certificate, and you can show cohabitation for a reasonable amount of time, it should not be difficult to get. Not having a job is no big deal, as long as you can show that you are employable (or have enough money for the time being). But you will need to sort this out once you are in the UK. It is probably best to take a job first, until you have the university course sorted out.

The only potential snag is some weird clause in UK law that they are apply additional rules if you are applying from outside of Europe. Usually that is no problem, but every once in a while it leads to a bad decision. If that is any problem, you may want to get a residence permit for Germany first (although that only works if you actually stay in Germany for a while). But there are other options, too.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi --

Please visit this topic :

-> Europe immigration forum -> Directive 2004/38/EC thread
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15545

Also, our search function works reasonably well once you input the correct vocabulary (see above link).

Normally I'd move this topic, but since you're planning to stay in the UK I'll leave it here to help point other folks when they run across similar questions.

the Admin