ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR-Tax return issue..please help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jpat2002

ILR-Tax return issue..please help

Post by jpat2002 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Seniors/ Gurus

I have an issue and would appreciate any help.
I will be applying for ILR SET(O) soon as a Tier 1 general migrant
Part of my earnings for the initial & extension T1 application were from self employment and I have paid tax for that income.

For the ILR application I am only planning to show my main income & no income from self employment

The trouble is the tax returns that were filed for extension application incomes, my accountant declared £150 accountancy expenses on further financial year.When i checked my last few years Tax Return just found that i have paid less tax about (£35-40).

Do you think this might be an issue if HO checks the tax returns for previous years and finds the taxable income not matching the net profits declared? its only 150£ difference if they check...Please advice...

argus7
Wales

Re: ILR-Tax return issue..please help

Post by argus7 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:06 pm

What you can do is following:

Write to HMRC and explain this and amend that year. It can take 5 weeks to 3-6 months depending on the tax year. You need a solid reason explaining this.
If the tax return and tax bill was less then £3000 HMRC can collect that that tax on your PAYE as well.
You should check each tax year returns and what you owe carefully and then pay on time. Note you can only amend only 2013/14 tax return till 31st Jan, not before that.

jpat2002

Post by jpat2002 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:15 pm

argus7 wrote:What you can do is following:

Write to HMRC and explain this and amend that year. It can take 5 weeks to 3-6 months depending on the tax year. You need a solid reason explaining this.
If the tax return and tax bill was less then £3000 HMRC can collect that that tax on your PAYE as well.
You should check each tax year returns and what you owe carefully and then pay on time. Note you can only amend only 2013/14 tax return till 31st Jan, not before that.
Hello argus7
Thank you so much for your quick reply..i have PEO appointment in week time..and need to amend tax return year 2012/13.I dont know what to do..as dont have enough time!! You think they will ask for all previous years Tax return even if am not showing self-employment now..Spoke to accountant and he said its alright as its 150£ accountancy fee nothing else just these expenses..
Please advice..am very stress...

Thanks

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 pm

jpat2002 wrote:

Hello argus7
Thank you so much for your quick reply..i have PEO appointment in week time..and need to amend tax return year 2012/13.I dont know what to do..as dont have enough time!! You think they will ask for all previous years Tax return even if am not showing self-employment now..Spoke to accountant and he said its alright as its 150£ accountancy fee nothing else just these expenses..

Thanks

Thats something the case worker will decide . In a balance of all probabilities since your extension was based on SE income they will look at NI and TAX, and verify the amount of tax bill paid. I dont think its too much of a worry.

Get a second opinion from another qualified TAX firm, since you don't have time

jpat2002

Post by jpat2002 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:33 pm

argus7 wrote:
jpat2002 wrote:

Hello argus7

Thanks

Thats something the case worker will decide . In a balance of all probabilities since your extension was based on SE income they will look at NI and TAX, and verify the amount of tax bill paid. I dont think its too much of a worry.

Get a second opinion from another qualified TAX firm, since you don't have time
Hello Argus7
Thanks again for your quick reply again.
Yes i have paid all the tax on my SE income.I have all the statements and all 5 years SA302 documents aswell.But just one confusion as i said if they check NET profit i declared to HO is £150 less to HMRC(Accountancy fee expenses) as its further financial year.thats only difference between HO and HMRC. I was about to cancel my PEO appointment,I dont know wether its good idea or not..? You think its good to inform HMRC visa post and then wait for 2-3 months untill they amend tax return..? or you think i dont need to worry about as its only genuine expenses shown.(150£)..? Please advice..I know am asking same think again and again but am very stress and worried..So,please advice..I will be highly thanksful to you..
Thanks

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Well, On Monday first thing in the week consult someone and see, check with a OISC advisor and see what he says about your case.

HO staff will see what you have provided to them during extension and whether tax on that is declared correctly to HMRC, and tax discrepancies if any HMRC 's dealing not HO. its a very common mistake applicant have made to earn money using SE route and not declared tax on the amount that was shown, and deception applied during ILR as shown BAD CHARACTER

I am not pin pointing you, But if you see there have been many refusals due to incorrect tax declared to HMRC. I dont think you will face an issue , thats my personal view. Do not stress over this and loose sleep.

Also this is ILR, During citizenship or naturalizations things would be even tighter and more scrutiny. So in my opinion check with a TAX firm and see if these accountant charge of £150 would make a difference or not as profit declared is less.

Post the outcome of your application next week, Good Luck!

jpat2002

Post by jpat2002 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:00 pm

argus7 wrote:Well, On Monday first thing in the week consult someone and see, check with a OISC advisor and see what he says about your case.

HO staff will see what you have provided to them during extension and whether tax on that is declared correctly to HMRC, and tax discrepancies if any HMRC 's dealing not HO. its a very common mistake applicant have made to earn money using SE route and not declared tax on the amount that was shown, and deception applied during ILR as shown BAD CHARACTER

I am not pin pointing you, But if you see there have been many refusals due to incorrect tax declared to HMRC. I dont think you will face an issue , thats my personal view. Do not stress over this and loose sleep.

Also this is ILR, During citizenship or naturalizations things would be even tighter and more scrutiny. So in my opinion check with a TAX firm and see if these accountant charge of £150 would make a difference or not as profit declared is less.

Post the outcome of your application next week, Good Luck!
Hi
Thanks you for your time and good advice.

I think i will Reschedule / Cancel my PEO appointment until i sort out this tax issue.As its only 30 £ tax and dont wants to take any chance.

Thanks
Regards

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:20 pm

when does your current LTR expire? If you have enough time then you should sort this out soon.

jpat2002

Post by jpat2002 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:25 pm

argus7 wrote:when does your current LTR expire? If you have enough time then you should sort this out soon.
Hi my current leave is till Sept-2015
Or could i just write to HMRC about this amendment and send it via recorded post.I know it will take ages to update their record but atleast I can show letter copy to HO if they asked about this 150£ difference..? You think its good idea..?

Regards

mnaeem126
inactive

Post by mnaeem126 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:56 am

@jpat2002
If taking £30 off (to HMRC) from the net profit you have declared to the home office, your earnings have still qualified you for same points of earning attribute then it should not be a problem. You can explain it in the cover letter that you have paid £30 fee out of your net profit what was declared to HO but you qualify for same points as it has not affected you in claimed points.

sagasag
Newly Registered

Post by sagasag » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:43 am

Hello
Have you seen the accountant? how long it take to amend ( how many weeks)
I am also in same stage. I need to amend 2009-2010 and 2010 -2011 return.

Please post the updates....:)

pinky2k221
Newly Registered

Post by pinky2k221 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi

My ILR application is due in nov2015 . My problem is that at the time of Tier-1 extension i claimed points on both salary and self employment(£4000) but i didn't filed the tax returns for 2012-2013 year .

My questions

1)Is HO do check the previous years tax returns
2) I have sent 2012-2013 tax returns now (08/09/2015) by post . How long does it takes to update
3)How much fine/penalty i can expect
4)One of my friend said postal tax return will take 3-4 months . In that case what should i do
5) I know i messed up with my tax returns , but is there any way i get back in track before my application
Can any one please help me

Many thanks in advance

Aditi12

Post by Aditi12 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:42 pm

sagasag wrote:Hello
Have you seen the accountant? how long it take to amend ( how many weeks)
I am also in same stage. I need to amend 2009-2010 and 2010 -2011 return.

Please post the updates....:)
HI guys

Does any1 know about the time scales it takes if we amend 2012 - 2013 tax ; if we do the amendment online. ?