ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Llr from 2008

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arsenal16
Newly Registered

Llr from 2008

Post by arsenal16 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:11 am

Hi, just need some help as there is so much info that I'm getting confused. I'm a British citizen by birth, wife is from India and came in 2008. Since then I have been renewing llr visa every 2 years as she has not been able to pass the life UK test.

It is just my luck that I only found out that she could have done a esol course (which I actually think she did) and applied using that instead but then apparently the rules changed in either 2013 or 2014 so everyone has to do the test?

Basically is this correct, is there any other way round it like the 5 year or 10 year family thing? We have 2 kids.

What is even more confusing is that when I did her most recent llr extension 2 months ago, her residence permit came with some notes/ guidance about applying for indefinite leave. In it, it very clearly says "once you have EITHER passed the life in UK test or have improved by one level by gaining an approved esol qualification which includes citizenship material".

Now surely, even if it's not true, this statement copied word for word from the letter implies that she could do EITHER of those things rather then HAVING to do life in UK test?

Thanks for any help in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Llr from 2008

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 am

Applicants for ILR can clear either the "Life in the UK test" or complete an ESOL course with citizenship material.

The requirements are listed here.

Has your wife tried the latest Life in the UK test? They are mainly a test on British history, which is not too challenging.

arsenal16
Newly Registered

Re: Llr from 2008

Post by arsenal16 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:45 am

secret.simon wrote:Applicants for ILR can clear either the "Life in the UK test" or complete an ESOL course with citizenship material.

The requirements are listed here.

Has your wife tried the latest Life in the UK test? They are mainly a test on British history, which is not too challenging.
re the esol course, my understanding was those with a very low level of English could do it instead of the test but I thought this option was removed in either 2013/14, so everyone had to do the test. My wife is totally fluent in English also.

She has failed the test twice but hasn't done it for about 2 years though.

thanks for your help btw.