ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance- Emergency Cover?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nadiag
Newly Registered

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance- Emergency Cover?

Post by nadiag » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi All,

Apologies if a similar question has been asked before. I have searched the forum re this but have not been able to find a definite answer.

My situation is rather urgent, as I am an EEA national who will be leaving my full-time job in two weeks’ time. I will be ‘self- sufficient’ for a few months and therefore have to get ‘Comprehensive Sickness Insurance’.

My question is regarding this CSI. I am confused as to which policy to get, as I have heard that the home office does not accept certain policies which they deem not ‘comprehensive’. Some people seem to think that it essential that emergency hospital treatment be included in the policy, yet I have also read that Health Insurance companies in the UK simply do not offer this sort of emergency cover, as it is always assumed that the NHS would be used in case of an emergency. I would be ever so grateful if someone could please give me a definite answer as to whether emergency cover is necessary? And if so, what the hell do I do, as no UK insurer seems to offer this?

Also, apparently Comprehensive Sickness Insurance is different to Health Insurance? Could someone please clarify this for me?

Also, it seems that most insurers require that you see your NHS GP in the first instance for a referral- do you think this is going to be an issue for the HO?

I would really appreciate if someone who has CSI could tell me which Insurer (BUPA, Aviva etc) they used and also the specific policy- and if this has been accepted by the HO.

Thank you so much!!!

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Comprehensive Sickness Insurance- Emergency Cover?

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Private medical insurance policy always work along with NHS where the holder primarily need to refer to GP who then refer next and same referral the private medical insurance provider will need. Usually pre existing conditions are excluded from cover and since there is no list of approved insurance provider, therefore, any private medical insurance plan from regardless of provider if covering in majority of circumstances then should meet the requirement of CSI. If you search the forum then will see that all these policies from providers were accepted in past from Aviva, Bupa, Wpa etc.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

nadiag
Newly Registered

Post by nadiag » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Sheraz7, thank you so much for your reply, it is much appreciated and very helpful!

What about the 'emergency hospital treatment' cover (things like accidents, Intensive care stay etc)? I have just spoken to Bupa and the consultant said he doesn't think any insurance provider provides cover for emergency treatment, as private hospitals don't have A&E units. Am I right in thinking then, in that case, the emergency cover is not an essential requirement?

Thanks again!!

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:42 pm

nadiag wrote:Sheraz7, thank you so much for your reply, it is much appreciated and very helpful!

What about the 'emergency hospital treatment' cover (things like accidents, Intensive care stay etc)? I have just spoken to Bupa and the consultant said he doesn't think any insurance provider provides cover for emergency treatment, as private hospitals don't have A&E units. Am I right in thinking then, in that case, the emergency cover is not an essential requirement?

Thanks again!!
There is no alternative of A&E in UK.
All emergency cases goes to NHS A&E.
No private hospital details emergency cases.
Hence,HO does not require emergency treatments in CSI.

nadiag
Newly Registered

Post by nadiag » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 pm

Thank you so much!!! That answers that question then :) That's a relief to know and makes choosing the policy much easier.

Cheers!

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:31 pm

nadiag wrote:Thank you so much!!! That answers that question then :) That's a relief to know and makes choosing the policy much easier.

Cheers!
Remember,HO does not accept cash back health insurance cover.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Buy insurance from WPA. They are highly cheap, comprehensive, and definitely are acceptable to ukba. WPA plan include everything :cool:

nadiag
Newly Registered

Post by nadiag » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks so much for all the great advice guys!! :)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

nadiag wrote:Sheraz7, thank you so much for your reply, it is much appreciated and very helpful!

What about the 'emergency hospital treatment' cover (things like accidents, Intensive care stay etc)?
The UK would only give free basic treatment on the A&E ward and you need to pay for anything else as a result of your accident or emergency i.e. intensive care, stay on any ward, operation, follow on treatment etc.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 am

Imshzd wrote: There is no alternative of A&E in UK.
The UK's national health system is what is used in the UK that's why there are not many private hospitals are some private wings in the NHS hospitals.
Imshzd wrote:All emergency cases goes to NHS A&E.
This doesn't mean a person won't get billed if they have an accident or emergency if they are a person who is not allowed to use the NHS for free. Everything off the A&E ward will be billed; operation - billed; stay on ward = billed; stitches = free as done on A&E ward.
Imshzd wrote:No private hospital details emergency cases.
If it they want more than the basic patch up treatment given on A&E ward where the patient is treated and then they leave, then they have to pay.

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 am

Petaltop wrote:
Imshzd wrote: There is no alternative of A&E in UK.
The UK's national health system is what is used in the UK that's why there are not many private hospitals are some private wings in the NHS hospitals.
Imshzd wrote:All emergency cases goes to NHS A&E.
This doesn't mean a person won't get billed if they have an accident or emergency if they are a person who is not allowed to use the NHS for free. Everything off the A&E ward will be billed; operation - billed; stay on ward = billed; stitches = free as done on A&E ward.
Imshzd wrote:No private hospital details emergency cases.
If it they want more than the basic patch up treatment given on A&E ward where the patient is treated and then they leave, then they have to pay.
I did not said that A&E is free for all.
I answered the question which was asked,that HO does not require A&E in CSI.