ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

upparj123
Newly Registered

applying for British citizenship

Post by upparj123 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:28 am

Hello
Planning to go to Sri Lanka for medical treatment for about 1 year. Thought it is good to apply for British citizenship now but as planning to go in mid July for treatment unable to apply as I need the passport to travel.

1. Is there a way to hand in citizenship application over the counter?
2. Is it possible to handover application to the local CAB office and get back the passport?
3. As it is a requirement not to be absent for more than 90 days before applying is it possible to apply from overseas through the British High commission as then no problem not having the passport with me until it is approved.
4. Do I have to produce a letter from the GP about this and what sort of letter should I have to attach to the application? what should the letter say.a

Pl advise as hoping to travel during the 2nd week of July 2015

Thank you

noajthan

Re: applying for British citizenship

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:23 am

upparj123 wrote:Hello
Planning to go to Sri Lanka for medical treatment for about 1 year. Thought it is good to apply for British citizenship now but as planning to go in mid July for treatment unable to apply as I need the passport to travel.

1. Is there a way to hand in citizenship application over the counter?
2. Is it possible to handover application to the local CAB office and get back the passport?
3. As it is a requirement not to be absent for more than 90 days before applying is it possible to apply from overseas through the British High commission as then no problem not having the passport with me until it is approved.
4. Do I have to produce a letter from the GP about this and what sort of letter should I have to attach to the application? what should the letter say.a

Pl advise as hoping to travel during the 2nd week of July 2015

Thank you
1. Use local NCS (offered by local councils for reasonable fee);
documents, including passport (but not LITUK certificate), will be returnd to you.

2. No, don't think so (unless they offer NCS) - use NCS as #1

3. I can't comment on applying from overseas.

Be careful about being absent so long.
If you apply from UK then travel abroad you will need your UK household mail monitored in case of any followups and questions from HO.

You will also need to be in UK to provide biometrics when summoned to do so;
also to attend naturalisation ceremony.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 am

Here's a link on how to apply. The CAB don't provide a BC application service.
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... w-to-apply
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

upparj123
Newly Registered

Post by upparj123 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:11 pm

As usual this forum is fantastic. Thank you for the information. I have now booked with NCS to process the application. But now I have another question.

Pl would someone let me know if the English language qualifications are accepted.

1. 2011 UK GCSE 'E' pass - AQA
2. 2011. ESOL skills for life entry level 2 by Edexel - Ofqual
3. 2013 Edexel English Functionsl Skills qualifications
level 1 - Ofqual

I get confused with the different types of qualifications and awarding bodies and am getting nervous. I can see that hard will be valid only until November 2015.

Please Pl. help with this.

Many thanks.

upparj123
Newly Registered

Post by upparj123 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Further to my previous post I wish to state that
These are the English qualifications I have.

I have completed the level 2 child care course conducted by CACHE if this is helpful into support my application???

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:03 pm

It won't be relevant to a BC application. These are the approved tests and test centres for B1 level English
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v5.0.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

martin54

Post by martin54 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm

@casa do you mean those qualification wont be relevant for BC application?

2. 2011. ESOL skills for life entry level 2 by Edexel - Ofqual
3. 2013 Edexel English Functionsl Skills qualifications
level 1 - Ofqual

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm

No, I was referring to your last question "I have completed the level 2 child care course conducted by CACHE if this is helpful into support my application???"

Check the link I've given you for the validity of the tests you've posted. You need to have achieved B1 level.
(Casa, not CR001)

upparj123
Newly Registered

Post by upparj123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Many Thanks Casa,

Please could you confirm if I am OK with the following English tests.

1) ESOL Entry level 1 & 2 (certificate issued Oct 2011) - ( I used these previously in my PR application submitted in July 2013)
I didn't do ESOL level 3 . but I have got:-

2 Ofqual / Pearson Edexcel Functional Skills Qualification in English Level 1 (2013 July) its for speaking, listening and communication; Reading; writing

Is this Ok with the information given in the link you sent me.

It states: -
3. Approved English language qualifications

You can prove your knowledge of English by having an English level B1, B2, C1 or C2 level qualification that’s one of the following:
an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland

Link:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Please confirm so that I am confident before I take papers to the NCS on Tuesday. I hope these qualifications are valid for today.

Thank you.

upparj123
Newly Registered

British citizenship - Biometric Enrolement

Post by upparj123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Read the following from the Naturalisation Booklet – The Requirements.

Even if this was done previously when applying for PR is it done again? Why another process of the same thing?

BIOMETRIC ENROLMENT
In accordance with the British Nationality (General) (Amendment) (2) Regulations 2014, you are required to enrol your biometric information as part of your application for naturalisation as a British citizen. You will need to attend at a designated post office to have your facial image and fingerprints enrolled. This information will be used to verify your identity only, and not for issuing you with a new biometric residence document. We will normally only retain your fingerprints until we have been notified by the local authority that you have attended your citizenship ceremony.

Thanks for the help I have been getting with my information needs!

Upparj

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:05 am

Yes, you will need to submit your biometrics again, even though you had done so at the time of ILR/PR.

upparj123
Newly Registered

Post by upparj123 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:27 am

Thank you Simon.

After sending the application around what time period will I be asked to do the biometric . This will help me to plan my trip overseas. It is for some medical treatment I need to go so have to plan and go without much delay. Thank you. Upparj

upparj123
Newly Registered

Post by upparj123 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:33 am

Please could some one confirm if I am OK with the following English tests before I take the papers to NCS?

1) ESOL Entry level 1 & 2 (certificate issued Oct 2011) - ( I used these previously in my PR application submitted in July 2013)
I didn't do ESOL level 3 . but I have got:-

2 Ofqual / Pearson Edexcel Functional Skills Qualification in English Level 1 (2013 July) its for speaking, listening and communication; Reading; writing

Is this Ok with the information given in the link you sent me.

It states: -
3. Approved English language qualifications

You can prove your knowledge of English by having an English level B1, B2, C1 or C2 level qualification that’s one of the following:
an ESOL qualification at Entry 3 or higher (eg Level 1 or 2) on the Ofqual register taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland

Link:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Please confirm so that I am confident before I take papers to the NCS on Tuesday. I hope these qualifications are valid for today.

Thank you.

upparj123
Newly Registered

Post by upparj123 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:57 pm

FYI
I went to the Council Office and discussed about the biometric registration but the officer at the NCS said if a biometric has been done before they will not want another biometric done.

Thanks