ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query regarding EEA family members

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DAC000

Query regarding EEA family members

Post by DAC000 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Guys

I'm applying via NCS Tuesday and (rather obsessively I'm afraid) reviewing my application before hand. I have a query regarding section 2.4, EEA nationals exercise EC Treaty Rights. Specifically, its says "if you are an EEA national or the family member of an EEA national ..."

Wife is Dutch. I'm American, came to the UK in 1998 on a work permit for an Investment Bank. Extended work permit then I took Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in 2002. I had ILR before we married in 2007. I suspect section 2.4 doesn't apply to me -- correct? Also I believe there is no need for me to present my wife's passport, since I'm applying solely on the basis of my ILR, is this correct?

This AM I found a couple of minor errors in my application, just dates misstated, I realise NCS would have liekly queried, but I'm glad I'm checking.

Apologies in advance, I just want everything to go smoothly at NCS.

Thanks for your help !!

secret.simon

Re: Query regarding EEA family members

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:49 pm

If you are applying on the basis of your own ILR, you needn't fill in the section for EEA nationals.

But if you were including a cover letter, you could mention that your wife is an EEA national in that cover letter.

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Ok, great -- hadn't thought about cover letter but perhaps will do so. So any pointers on what else I could include? Will definitely mention wife is Dutch national.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:45 am

DAC000 wrote:Ok, great -- hadn't thought about cover letter but perhaps will do so. So any pointers on what else I could include? Will definitely mention wife is Dutch national.
Note: Q1.35 covers your wife's details including nationality @ Q 1.37 - 1.38.

Applying on basis of marriage to a Brit is when you would need your good lady wife's passport (also marriage certificate).
No harm having them in the bag (especially if NCS is a distance from home) but you should not be asked to submit them in your case: sole application with ILR.

Your US passport covers you for English language requirement anyway.

Think of the NCS as an interview with a bank manager, rigorous but basically humane; they are not going to grill you.

Good luck on the day.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:56 am

Even though you're exempt English B1 level, have you passed the Life in the UK test? I'm assuming KOL wasn't required when you applied for ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

DAC000

Post by DAC000 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:01 am

noajthan wrote: Good luck on the day.
Thanks for helping to settle my nerves -- I've been reading a lot but haven't seen too much detail on what to expect while at NCS, so this helps.

and I definitely will bring my wife's passport. I was already planning to bring the wedding license so obvious gap, good suggestion, missed that one.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:11 am

DAC000 wrote:
noajthan wrote: Good luck on the day.
Thanks for helping to settle my nerves -- I've been reading a lot but haven't seen too much detail on what to expect while at NCS, so this helps.

and I definitely will bring my wife's passport. I was already planning to bring the wedding license so obvious gap, good suggestion, missed that one.
Our experience at NCS (a few months ago) was a pleasant one, the official was very helpful.

My wife (a non-EEA national) is not confident at dealing with officialdom but they tried to put her at her ease & I sat in on the interview.

Obviously they crosscheck & verify all your documents. (Documents/passports will be copied & returned to you apart from the LITUK certificate).

They will ask questions as they see fit.
In our case they called HO for clarification on one point of detail - that quickly got cleared up there & then.
They are there to help you not to catch you out.

In the unusual event there is some glaring problem the applicant only loses the NCS fee, instead of the HO fee.
No suggestion here that you have any risk of that!
You sound very meticulous & organised with a clearcut case so it should go smoothly.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.