ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Health Surcharge (IHS) Exemption

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hamidg
Newly Registered

Health Surcharge (IHS) Exemption

Post by Hamidg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi,

I'm going to apply for my Tier2 extension in couple of months time and as part of the new changes (you read it extra charges) I have to pay £600 for IHS for 3 years extension. However, there is an exemption list including those who are a family member of an EU citizen. My wife is British citizen and we haven't registered our marriage in the UK. Any idea how I can prove we're married? what's the process to get this done?

2nd option is to pay the fee, get the visa done and then finally ask for refund, any idea about refund policy/process?

Much appreciated.

Regards
Hamid

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Health Surcharge (IHS) Exemption

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:44 pm

You won't be entitled to a refund as your British wife isn't a citizen of another EU state. Your application is under UK law, not EU/EEA regulations. You're not required to register your marriage in the UK. If it is considered as legal is the country where you marriage took place it will be legal in the UK without registration here.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Hamidg
Newly Registered

Post by Hamidg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Many thanks Casa for your prompt response. It's peace of mind now that I know I have to pay.

It's funny that things are difficult when you're related to a British person!!! It's easier to marry an EU member, and then move over to UK!!! Just doesn't make sense to me.

Many thanks anyway.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:07 pm

It may seem unfair, but family of British citizens would be entitled to the same 'concessions' if they moved to an EU state.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.