ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When do I need to take 'life in the UK' test for ILR app

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

extrovert

Post by extrovert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:31 am

Hi

I had a student visa from May 2004 to June 2007. I got married to British citizen and spouse visa was given for 2 years in Feburary 2007 which is valid till January 2009.
I wonder if anyone could tell me when do I need to take 'Life in the UK' test. Is there any time restriction?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:55 am

I believe that you can take the test any time you are ready and there is as present no time restriction. See also questions and answers.
Last edited by vinny on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

extrovert

Thanks

Post by extrovert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:42 am

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. This means if I take "life in the UK" test next month it will be valid till march 2009 when I need to make my ILR application.

I wonder if you could please confirm this.

Regards

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:02 am

Not sure this is correct. From what I understand from http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmls ... er_10.html
as well as the certificate you get, the result is forwarded directly to the BIA, who keep it "for a reasonable period". I'm sure I saw somewhere that this is about three months. Although you need to attach the certificate to your ILR application, I'm not sure that they accept it if they no longer have their own confirmation from the test centre. The site specifically says you should make your application as soon as possible after passing the test.
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.

Emma84

Post by Emma84 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:22 pm

jimquk wrote:Not sure this is correct. From what I understand from http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmls ... er_10.html
as well as the certificate you get, the result is forwarded directly to the BIA, who keep it "for a reasonable period". I'm sure I saw somewhere that this is about three months. Although you need to attach the certificate to your ILR application, I'm not sure that they accept it if they no longer have their own confirmation from the test centre. The site specifically says you should make your application as soon as possible after passing the test.
I'm confused. Are you saying the HO will refuse an ILR application if they don't have the result still in their records, even if you send your own pass certificate?

I've got my test in the beginning of November and need to send my ILR application in mid-January, should I worry about that?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:36 pm

From questions and answers:
21. If I pass the ESOL course/test will there be a time limit or will the pass stand indefinitely?

A pass in either the knowledge of life test or an ESOL with citizenship course is not time-limited and will remain valid indefinitely. You can also use the result to help you meet the requirements for citizenship if you wish to take this further step in the journey.
However, don't lose the pass notification letter!

From After the test:
What happens if I lose my pass notification letter?

Your pass notification letter is very important: you should keep it in a safe place until you are ready to fill in your application for citizenship or indefinite leave to remain. If you lose this letter, you will not be given a new one to replace it. This means that you will have to pay to take the test again.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mna8

Post by mna8 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:09 pm

jimquk,

If you say that the result will be only stays for three months then why HO is saying that we can use the same certificate when we apply for naturalization. It is really important to know where you read it because it can help us. I send a mail to HO and thats what they reply:

"Please be advised that a pass in the Knowledge of Life in the UK Test will be valid for an indefinite period, regardless of when the test is taken. "

Thanks
mna

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Guys please do not worry about the validity of the Englishness test, it has been confirm in earlier discussions that there is no expire date, once you have written this test.

steve567
Newly Registered

Re: When do I need to take 'life in the UK' test for ILR app

Post by steve567 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:18 pm

extrovert wrote:Hi

I had a student visa from May 2004 to June 2007. I got married to British citizen and spouse visa was given for 2 years in Feburary 2007 which is valid till January 2009.
I wonder if anyone could tell me when do I need to take 'Life in the UK' test. Is there any time restriction?

Regards
If I were you, I would take the test only after I have been granted ILR. What I understand is you still need to wait for 12 months or 11 months and some days before applying for naturalization.

Moreover, if you have a reasonable english skill, that exam is not a big deal. No time pressure at all. I took the test a few days after I got ILR. But there were occasions I worried about the fact that I passed it too early and the home office might not keep my record although I had my originial certificate. The consequence would be unnecessary delay, I was just thinking. It may not be true.

Timing is very important in many aspect when dealing with the Home Office according to my experience.

Emma84

Post by Emma84 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:35 pm

steve567 wrote:

Regards
If I were you, I would take the test only after I have been granted ILR. What I understand is you still need to wait for 12 months or 11 months and some days before applying for naturalization.

Moreover, if you have a reasonable english skill, that exam is not a big deal. No time pressure at all. I took the test a few days after I got ILR. But there were occasions I worried about the fact that I passed it too early and the home office might not keep my record although I had my originial certificate. The consequence would be unnecessary delay, I was just thinking. It may not be true.

Timing is very important in many aspect when dealing with the Home Office according to my experience.
Steve, when did you take your test and when did you apply for ILR? The HO no longer allows you to apply for ILR without passing the Life in the UK test first. At least this is my understanding from the information on the Home Office's website.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Steve 567,
Thats bad advice, you need to have passed the English test before you can apply for ILR.!

extrovert

'life in the UK'

Post by extrovert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Its good to see some participation by other members.
One thing I am sure of is one must have passed 'life in the UK' test before they can apply for ILR and naturalisation.
The test pass result is valid for indefinite period what I have concluded after the above discussion.

Could any body please advise us about the 'life in the UK' test?
a. Is it difficult to pass the test? If we compare it with driving theory test is it more or less coz I found driving theory test very easy.
b. What is the best way to prepare for the test?

Kind regards

SYH
BANNED

Re: 'life in the UK'

Post by SYH » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 pm

extrovert wrote:Its good to see some participation by other members.
One thing I am sure of is one must have passed 'life in the UK' test before they can apply for ILR and naturalisation.
The test pass result is valid for indefinite period what I have concluded after the above discussion.

a. Is it difficult to pass the test? If we compare it with driving theory test is it more or less coz I found driving theory test very easy.

Kind regards
Its easier than the theory test
Read the book, take notes and take the practice exams in the practice exam booklet.

sincere2007
Newly Registered

Post by sincere2007 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:19 am

Regards
BJ:I got this test in April and as I know there is no time limit:you can take exams at any time.Even test result is valid for Citizenship.YOu have not to take exams again.

sincere2007
Newly Registered

Re: 'life in the UK'

Post by sincere2007 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:25 am

SYH wrote:
extrovert wrote:Its good to see some participation by other members.

Kind regards
Its easier than the theory test

Bj:yes mate it is a very easy test based on four chapters 2,3,4 and 6.
You can practice online.there are many sites on internet on which u can take similer exams like real.I belive this is very easy way to prepare for this exams.the question in real exams are very similer to these online exams.even you can read whole life in the uk book online on these site.
I prepared my test online and passed very easliy.

Read the book, take notes and take the practice exams in the practice exam booklet.

steve567
Newly Registered

Post by steve567 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Emma84 wrote:
steve567 wrote:

Regards

Steve, when did you take your test and when did you apply for ILR? The HO no longer allows you to apply for ILR without passing the Life in the UK test first. At least this is my understanding from the information on the Home Office's website.
I did apply ILR on Feburary 2006 and
I was granted in April 2006.
I took citizenship test around May/ June 2006.
I did apply naturalization in May 2007.
That is my time line. But I dont know about recent changes.
Apology if my post is not useful or is misleading.

The following is my other time line from other thread

Postal or NCS: POSTAL
Date of submission or posting : 15 May 07
CRITERIA - 4 years + ILR 1 year
Date of debit of cheque: 25 May 2007 (around that date, only after ack letter)
Date of receipt of acknowledgement Letter: 21 May 07
Date of receipt of approval : 4 August 2007 (HO letter dated 01/08/2007)
Date of invitation letter received: During first week of September
Date of Ceremony: 25 September
Date of passport application: 25 September (Check and Send Service)
Date of passport received: awaiting (now 3 weeks on)

extrovert

I bought some books to prepare for exam

Post by extrovert » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 am

Hi All

I bought 3 books last night to prepare for test. The list is as under:

1 of: Life in the UK Test: Practice Questions: Questions and Answers for British Citizenship and Settlement Tests
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
1 of: Life in the UK Test - Study Guide: The Essential Study Guide for the Life in the UK Test (Study Guide)
1 of: Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship 2007

I was looking for books on amazon, I selected above three used books which were costing me £12.48 and postage was about £8.00 totalling £20.48. The used books were on offer by private sellers.

Then I selected new books by amazon costing me £17.52 but the delivery was free. So I advise its cheaper buying by Amazon because they offer free delivery on orders over £15.00.

Any comments about the books I purchased.Are they good?if someone has studied them before.How much usefull them are to prepare for the test.

Kind Regards

steve567
Newly Registered

Post by steve567 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:59 pm

My experience in 2006 when i took the test.

I bought Life in the UK: A Journal to Citizenship from local book shop for about I think ?£11 or something.

I read through Chaper 2,3,4 , perhaps 6 as well, slowly for 2 times, spending 4-5 days.

And then I did the practice at http://www.3g4g.co.uk/Stuff/LifeInUk/ for 2-3 days.

My exam centre was in local Learn direct. ( at that time, I did need to wait 2 weeks)

On the exam day, I paid the exam fee.
And then the invaginator took my passport and enter my details into thier system. that step is very important for varification in the future.

And then the invaginator logged in the computer and my exam started to run. I finished in 15 minutes. They issued the pass certificate.

I saw an interesting couple there. Wife passed long ago. But husband was taking his 3rd attempt. (I noticed that he was not fluent in english) Wife was frustrated coz they had a plan to apply naturalization together.

Exam questions are pretty easy with simple Englsih. If you can read and post on this forum, you will not get any problem, I am sure.

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi All

1 of: Life in the UK Test: Practice Questions: Questions and Answers for British Citizenship and Settlement Tests
1 of: Life in the UK Test - Study Guide: The Essential Study Guide for the Life in the UK Test (Study Guide)
1 of: Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship 2007

I was looking for books on amazon, I selected above three used books which were costing me £12.48 and postage was about £8.00 totalling £20.48. The used books were on offer by private sellers.

Then I selected new books by amazon costing me £17.52 but the delivery was free. So I advise its cheaper buying by Amazon because they offer free delivery on orders over £15.00.

Any comments about the books I purchased.Are they good?if someone has studied them before.How much usefull them are to prepare for the test.

Kind Regards

They seem to be good books to study

All the best

ismangil

Re: I bought some books to prepare for exam

Post by ismangil » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:05 pm

extrovert wrote:Hi All

Kind Regards
- It is much easier than driving theory test. Less material.
- It's only 24 or so questions with 45 minutes allowed. I did it in about 3 minutes. My wife took about 20 minutes because her station crashed 3 times!
- You don't need any other book other than the official one.
Perry Ismangil